Windows 10: How do I change the folder optimization settings?

Discus and support How do I change the folder optimization settings? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hey all, I've been using the tutorials and tips here for a bit now, but I've run into a problem I can't seem to find anywhere. I use List view to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by cybervegeto22, Sep 1, 2016.

1. How do I change the folder optimization settings?

Hey all,

I've been using the tutorials and tips here for a bit now, but I've run into a problem I can't seem to find anywhere.

I use List view to help me sort music. However, my folders are spread across different drives, so I have to use a library to organize them all into one place. Because I can't "Apply to Folders" in a library, I have to use file optimization.

I find it incredibly redundant that Windows uses the same exact view type for multiple optimizations: I want to be able to "optimize for Music" with a List view, rather than a Details view, which I can get from choosing another 2 options!

So, I want to be able to go into the template itself, and change the "Details" to "List," so that when I choose 'optimize,' I get my own settings, and not Windows' redundant copypasta from General Items or Documents. But, I also don't want to disable automatic folder type discovery.

Is there a way to do this?

:)

cybervegeto22, Sep 1, 2016

2. How do i change the temporary CD Burning folder location in windows 10

Hello,

When i burn a BR or DVD or CD, the temporary files are put in folder :

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Burn

To change this location i try to change the location in the record properties of the burn device and restart computer

A folder named "Windows Burn Temp Files" is created on new disk location, but the temporary files always go to the old folder.

I also tried to change registry key :

\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\CD Burning

and restart but temporary files always goes to %LOCALAPPDATA% location ?

So, how do i change the temporary CD Burning folder location in windows 10 ?

Alainternaute, Sep 1, 2016
  3. Alainternaute, Sep 1, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

How do I change the folder optimization settings?

Er... forum rules:
    "2) No useless posts, e.g., thread bumping, useless one liners, junk posting to increase post count, and identical multi-postings in different forums."

If someone has experience of this and can give a useful answer, I'm sure you will get one. Sorry I can't help.

dalchina, Sep 12, 2016
  5. swarfega Win User
    If you have more than one music location, you can add them to the music Library and they should be included that way. Right click on the folder you want to add and select Include in Library and select music.

swarfega, Sep 12, 2016
  6. @dalchina, I looked briefly for forum rules but didn't see them either in Customizations or the parent forum - I must have missed it. @swarfega, that's entirely different from what I'm trying to do.

In Windows 10, the folder view (such as "Large Icons", "Small Icons", "Tiles", "List", "Details", etc.) defaults on "Details," because the library is optimized for Music.
    This optimization can be found by right-clicking on the library, selecting "Properties," and from the drop-down menu underneath "Optimize this library for:" you can select an optimization option. However, these options are redundant and useless. Three of them use the exact SAME view (General Items, Documents and Music use the "Details" view), and the other are for icons.

But that means that these "optimizations" must be found somewhere in the OS, either in the registry or in a file in the core Windows folder, which means that it can be modified.

My goal here is to modify the "Music" optimization preset to show the "List" view, rather than the default "Details" view.

And before any simple suggestion is made... "Apply to folders" does not work for libraries in Windows 10.
    This is no easy fix. I'm looking for a way to mod the actual OS as necessary, to permanently alter the preset in question.

cybervegeto22, Sep 12, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi- under Community in the drop down. A bit obscure. Hope you get a useful answer.. it's a very specific issue as you're well aware.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How do I change the folder optimization settings?

1. How do I change the folder optimization settings? - Similar Threads - change folder optimization

2. How Do I Change the Default "Optimized Folder For" When Creating a New Folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How Do I Change the Default "Optimized Folder For" When Creating a New Folder?: Whenever I use the context menu to create a "New folder" on my desktop New > Folder, the folder is always optimized when created for "Videos" New Folder > Properties > Customize > What kind of folder do you want?. I would like to change this default, automatic customization...
  3. How Do I Change the Default "Optimized Folder For" When Creating a New Folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How Do I Change the Default "Optimized Folder For" When Creating a New Folder?: Whenever I use the context menu to create a "New folder" on my desktop New > Folder, the folder is always optimized when created for "Videos" New Folder > Properties > Customize > What kind of folder do you want?. I would like to change this default, automatic customization...
  4. How Do I Change the Default "Optimized Folder For" When Creating a New Folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I change a folder name?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change a folder name?: How do I change the name of a folder? * Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-a-folder-name/9bdfbd8a-97a6-4ec9-82b3-9e94158a06f6
  6. [GUIDE] How to fix Windows 11 refusing to change folder optimization settings!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [GUIDE] How to fix Windows 11 refusing to change folder optimization settings!: It seems that something changed between Windows 10 and 11 when it comes to setting folder optimizations. It seems in Windows 11, a folder can have its optimization setting changed by external means, and the user can't change it to something else if they want the folder to be...
  7. [GUIDE] How to fix Windows 11 refusing to change folder optimization settings!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [GUIDE] How to fix Windows 11 refusing to change folder optimization settings!: It seems that something changed between Windows 10 and 11 when it comes to setting folder optimizations. It seems in Windows 11, a folder can have its optimization setting changed by external means, and the user can't change it to something else if they want the folder to be...
  8. Folder view "optimization" setting is ignored

Folder view "optimization" setting is ignored: Hi, Windows 10 x64 20H2 10.0.19042.867. In Windows Explorer, if you open the folder properties, there's the "Optimization" option on the "Customize" tab. For a certain folder, there is "General Items" selected . I switch to "Videos" and click OK. The problem is that the...
  9. optimize this folder does not save changes

optimize this folder does not save changes: I have a problem with: What kind of folder do you want? Optimize this folder for: I change the drop down from 'General items' to 'Video', click Apply, then ok. when i open the folder, it still show my General settings. I double check properties and it reverted back to...
  10. How do I set the TIME of Optimize Drives schedule

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How do I set the TIME of Optimize Drives schedule: I am setting my Optimization (defrag) schedule to "Run on a schedule (recommended)", Frequency: Weekly and I checked "Notify me if three consecutive schedule runs are missed". Questions: 1. How to do I set the time of the optimization run? I don't want it to run while...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to change folder optimization

2. optimize folder settings

3. folder optimization

4. change folder optimization settings