Windows 10: How do I change the hard drive without losing the Windows install.

Discus and support How do I change the hard drive without losing the Windows install. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My girlfriends computer has a hard drive that shows as having faults on the computer health scan. I would like to swap out the hard drive for another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tomwalsh77, Nov 13, 2016.

1. How do I change the hard drive without losing the Windows install.

My girlfriends computer has a hard drive that shows as having faults on the computer health scan. I would like to swap out the hard drive for another but obviously don't want to lose the Windows 10 installation. The computer had Windows 8 pre-installed and she later upgraded to Windows 10. Is it possible to swap out the hard drive without losing Windows?

The computer is a Lenovo C260 All-in-One.

:)

tomwalsh77, Nov 13, 2016

2. How can I repartition the hard without losing my warranty

Hi guys ,

My laptop has a genuine windows 10 but my hard driver is only 1 partition and I want to repartition it and I can't do this without formating it.

So is there anyway i can format the whole hard and reinstall the windows as a genuine one like it was ?

mahmodahmad, Nov 13, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    How can I repartition the hard without losing my warranty

You can re-partition your hard disk into two partitions. No need to reformat or reinstall anything. You can use Windows own' tools to do this.

Repartitioning a hard disk is not difficult but you must clearly understand what you are about to do before you start because if you make a mistake you will lose data and possibly make your computer un-bootable.

Here are Microsoft's instructions for its repartitioning utility. The instructions are for Windows 7 but the same instructions apply
    to Windows 10. Be smart and learn about this procedure from the internet before you start. You'll do fine.

BulldogXX, Nov 13, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

How do I change the hard drive without losing the Windows install.

Hi, as the drive is faulty, unless you have already have created an image of your drive (which we very strongly recommend e.g. Macrium Reflect (free)), you will need to reinstall Windows.

Normally replacing a drive - even other parts- does not cause an activation issue. If it does, contact your regional MS activation support line.

dalchina, Nov 13, 2016
  5. A fresh install to a new hard drive is always the best option in my experience just remember to back up all the files/music & data you have from the old O.S. to a usb stick or to a Recordable DVD if you still can ?

I have re-installed my free upgrade of win10 over 10 times in the last year to the same mobo but was experimenting with different hard drives ect..

Activation should be automatic upon an internet connection being present.

RoadBlaster, Nov 13, 2016
  6. AddRAM Win User
  7. bobkn Win User
    I'd probably clone the hard drive, if it is still running OK.

The C260 uses a 2.5" hard drive, like those typically used in laptops. Unless it has a second drive bay (unlikely), you'd need a USB to SATA external adapter to connect the new drive to the PC for the cloning operation. They are inexpensive; here's an example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-542-_-Product

You'd also need cloning software, which is usually available with the new drive or by download from the new drive's maker (if you buy a bare drive).

Going to an SSD would be nice, if the additional expense is acceptable. (A hard drive costs less than $0.10 per gigabyte at the 500GB size. An SSD, more like $0.25US.)

bobkn, Nov 14, 2016
  8. How do I change the hard drive without losing the Windows install.

She might need a whole pile of USB sticks or DVDs! If her HDD is replaced with an SDD then it should be possible to put it back in later and copy them then, but the OP has to be careful about how big the HDD is and how big the SDD is - they are usually a lot, lot smaller.

Oriental Slave, Nov 16, 2016
  9. Steve C Win User
    You may find my guide here useful http://www.eightforums.com/installat...s-hdd-ssd.html. I've also enclosed the guide here.

I used Macrium Reflect to image (not clone) my system to another drive, then install a SSD and copy the imaged partitions back to the new SSD. Note it's recommended to have only the new system disk installed when you first boot to the new drive. Activation of Windows 10 should be almost instantaneous if you are connected to the internet.

Steve C, Nov 17, 2016
  10. Thanks for all your help, the PC didn't come with any install discs so is cloning the drive the only option I have or can I download Windows from somewhere?

tomwalsh77, Nov 19, 2016
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    Steve C post #7 gave you one of the best ways to put your Windows 10 on a new drive. I've always used Macrium Reflect to move my OS to a new drive, and like Steve said, do NOT use the clone option.
    Macrium Reflect Free

OldMike65, Nov 19, 2016
  12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Imaging and then restoring that image to the new drive would be the best and fastest way as OldMike65 pointed out.

Win 10 ISO files can be downloaded from this site:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft.../windows10ISO/

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 19, 2016
  13. How do I change the hard drive without losing the Windows install.

Why some prefer imaging method than clone? Any reason?

freemannnn, Nov 19, 2016
  14. Steve C Win User
    I'm not an expert on this, but my understanding is that if you clone the drive they will both have the same disk identifiers which may cause boot problems if both drives are connected to the PC at the same time.

Steve C, Nov 19, 2016
  15. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

This article explains the difference between the two methods:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20298...s-imaging.html

Another reason why many members here prefer imaging is that they use Macrium Reflect Free edition which does pretty much everything.
    Cloning copies everything, including unused space whereas imaging only copies occupied space. Hence images are much smaller and can be compressed. A clone can't be compressed.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 19, 2016
Thema:

How do I change the hard drive without losing the Windows install.

1. How do I change the hard drive without losing the Windows install. - Similar Threads - change hard drive

2. How to change windows on SSD without touching the hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change windows on SSD without touching the hard drive: I have a 250 GB SSD for my "C drive" and only my windows is in there. all other files are in a 1.0 TB hard drive. I am currently using widows 10 and want to change my windows to 11. is there a way to change windows on SSD and don't touch the files on hard drive ? I want SSD...
  3. How to change windows on SSD without touching the hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change windows on SSD without touching the hard drive: I have a 250 GB SSD for my "C drive" and only my windows is in there. all other files are in a 1.0 TB hard drive. I am currently using widows 10 and want to change my windows to 11. is there a way to change windows on SSD and don't touch the files on hard drive ? I want SSD...
  4. How do I change the letter designation of installed hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the letter designation of installed hard drive: How do I change the letter designation of my hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-letter-designation-of/25ae7e9a-a829-480a-87c1-e4c3bda742d6
  5. How do I change the letter designation of installed hard drive

How do I change the letter designation of installed hard drive: How do I change the letter designation of my hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-letter-designation-of/25ae7e9a-a829-480a-87c1-e4c3bda742d6
  6. How do I change the letter designation of installed hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Allocate Hard Drive without Losing Data?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Allocate Hard Drive without Losing Data?: Long story short: - I bought two 12 TB WD external USB 3.0 hard drives. My plan was to back up all my data to one, and mirror that back up to another. I have been researching hard drive mirroring software. We'll call them "Main External" and "Back Up." - In the mean time, I...
  8. How to change hard drive without reinstalling?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to change hard drive without reinstalling?: Lately the hard drive makes strange noises and starts to work very slowly, I would like to change to a new one but without having to reinstall anything, how could I do it? thanks....
  9. if I change the hard drive I lose my windows?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    if I change the hard drive I lose my windows?: I bought a new hard drive for my computer with more capacity, my problem is, if I change the hard drive I lose my windows? Do I have to buy the windows again? Is there any way to use the same license that I have on the old hard drive?...
  10. Partitioning My Hard Drive Without Losing Data

Partitioning My Hard Drive Without Losing Data: I intend to partition a hard drive I'll be buying to install Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 on each partition but I don't want to lose my data after I've installed Windows 7 and then 8.1 or maybe install the Windows 10 preview 32 bit. I am not going to install Windows 8.1 or 10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to swap hard drives on a pc without losing any info