Windows 10: How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?

Discus and support How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?I am unable to change the location for the Documents folder under This PC. It is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by RhysCranberry, Mar 2, 2024.

1. How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?

How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?I am unable to change the location for the Documents folder under This PC. It is the only folder in which the Properties menu does not give me the Location tab. Currently it is only allowing me to connect it to OneDrive, which I do not want. I wish to have the Documents folder under This PC to point to the Documents folder that is actually on my PC, which is not linked or connected to the cloud or internet. I do not want it connected to OneDrive. As you can see in the screenshot, every other folder’s Properties menu gives me

:)

RhysCranberry, Mar 2, 2024

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Mar 2, 2024
  3. Multiple 'Documents' folders under 'This PC'

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

This may happen if one the “documents” folder has been stored on different target location.

Follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

I suggest that you check both the folders location where they are saved using the below method:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Restore Default, and then click Apply and OK.

• Check what happens, try these step on all the documents folder.
    Method 2

If the above step fails then try checking the target location of both the folders by using the find target option:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Find target.

• Check where the target location of both the folders is and check if any one goes to the user name location and later delete the one which goes to wrong location.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Mar 2, 2024
  4. bbxrider Win User

How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?

can't change location of Documents folder

chased down a bunch of posts for the error message but not found an answer yet

I added a new registry entry that was a post suggestion to fix

How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC? 325308d1617150493t-cant-change-location-documents-folder-move.mydoc5.jpg

I'm suspicious it has some thing to do with Documents being in OneDrive?

The folder, mydocs, on my G drive is a copy of the Documents folder from a replaced drive, when I first got the
    error I changed the folder name to myDocs thinking maybe the problem was do to having the same folder name
    on the target move location.

How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC? 325304d1617149637t-cant-change-location-documents-folder-move.docs1.jpg

How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC? 325305d1617149669t-cant-change-location-documents-folder-move.docs2.jpg

How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC? 325306d1617150231t-cant-change-location-documents-folder-move.docs3.jpg

bbxrider, Mar 2, 2024
Thema:

How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?

1. How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC? - Similar Threads - change location Documents

2. How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?: How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?I am unable to change the location for the Documents folder under This PC. It is the only folder in which the Properties menu does not give me the Location tab. Currently it is only allowing me to connect it...
  3. How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?: How do I change the location of the Documents folder under This PC?I am unable to change the location for the Documents folder under This PC. It is the only folder in which the Properties menu does not give me the Location tab. Currently it is only allowing me to connect it...
  4. MY DOCUMENTS is under ONE DRIVE. How do I unlink it and change to the standard location?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MY DOCUMENTS is under ONE DRIVE. How do I unlink it and change to the standard location?: I have a new computer. I uninstalled ONE DRIVE and have never used it. When I looked at the default location of MY DOCUMENTS, it was under the ONE DRIVE folder. I have a new HP desktop running Windows 11 home. During initial setup, somehow, the "Documents" folder in the...
  5. WANT DOCUMENTS FOLDER UNDER PC - HOW TO DO THIS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WANT DOCUMENTS FOLDER UNDER PC - HOW TO DO THIS: I would like to get the DOCUMENTS folder OUT OF ONE DRIVE where it has gone with the latest update.why does MS do these things?Can someone help please in putting the DOCUMENTS back under PC & not ONE DRIVE?thanksLesley...
  6. WANT DOCUMENTS FOLDER UNDER PC - HOW TO DO THIS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WANT DOCUMENTS FOLDER UNDER PC - HOW TO DO THIS: I would like to get the DOCUMENTS folder OUT OF ONE DRIVE where it has gone with the latest update.why does MS do these things?Can someone help please in putting the DOCUMENTS back under PC & not ONE DRIVE?thanksLesley...
  7. How do I change the location of This PC > Documents?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I change the location of This PC > Documents?: When I open File Explorer, under This PC I have the following: Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos. I'm trying to change the locations Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos from my bootup drive to a data drive. I've managed this for...
  8. How do I change one of the 2 Documents Folders under This PC to Videos

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I change one of the 2 Documents Folders under This PC to Videos: I was moving my libraries to different drives and made a mistake with my Videos folder, and now I have two Documents folders under 'This PC'. The folder that used to be my videos folder is now called Documents and directs me to the same folder as the original Documents...
  9. How do I make “Documents” under This PC refer to a local folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I make “Documents” under This PC refer to a local folder?: In the left folder tree panel in File Explorer, there are root folders including Quick Access, OneDrive, This PC, etc. Under This PC, there are several folders like Downloads and Music which refer to local directories as expected. But This PC > Documents refers to...
  10. how do i change the location of 'documents'?

in Windows 10 Support
    how do i change the location of 'documents'?: Recently I've reset my laptop so i could use it for my education. However, since the reset the 'my documents' (and Pictures) user-folder at 'my PC' has been changed to the onedrive equivalent. I've tried turning off onedrive by changing my group policy, but it turned out...