Windows 10: How do I change the name of my optical drives

Discus and support How do I change the name of my optical drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I can change the drive letters, but I have two optical drives with different capabilities. I would like to differentiate them from one another. Can I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SJMaye, Apr 28, 2019.

1. SJMaye Win User

How do I change the name of my optical drives

I can change the drive letters, but I have two optical drives with different capabilities. I would like to differentiate them from one another. Can I change the text name?

:)

SJMaye, Apr 28, 2019
  2. klepp0906 Win User

Changing the name of your Optical drive possible?

So ive spent some-odd hours trying to fix this and its not looking good. That in and of itself is perplexing but I figured if its doable, you guys here would know how!

So I'm aware of the means of which you can change your Drive letters, not an issue. I am even aware of several ways of labeling or "renaming" your drives. All has gone swimmingly until I arrived at my optical drive. FTR its a LG blu ray burner that shows up as "CD-Drive" in windows 10.

I want to rename the drive as Ive already changed the letter to what I had intended but am now stuck with the marginally inaccurate and personally undesireable label/name. I've tried all methods I can find and worst case they dont work at all, best case they append the name after the drive letter so instead of say CD-Drive (DHow do I change the name of my optical drives :) I end up with CD-Drive (DHow do I change the name of my optical drives :) Optical Drive. The ideal outcome would simply be "Optical Drive (DHow do I change the name of my optical drives :)" for example.

Anyone able to help? Dont care what it takes!

klepp0906, Apr 28, 2019
  3. Ernie San Win User
    Optical Drive missing

Hello,

To find Optical Drive, we recommend checking it on Device Manager. Here are the steps below:

• Press Windows key.
    • Type and click Device Manager in Cortana search box.
    • Click View.
    • Select Show hidden devices.
    Let us know how it goes.

Ernie San, Apr 28, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Optical Drive

Hi ERNESTSMITHVM,

Boot into BIOS/UEFI and check that the Optical drive is listed there, if it is not then the Acer Tech has somehow not connected that drive correctly . . .

Otherwise, in Windows , open Device Manager - is hat drive listed at the top of the Hardware list?

DaveM121, Apr 28, 2019
Thema:

1. How do I change the name of my optical drives - Similar Threads - change name optical

2. How do I change the name on my computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the name on my computer?: I inherited a computer from my father and would like to change the name that appears as it signs into Windows. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-name-on-my-computer/58afc85c-f5b9-441b-b7c7-073729a0f47d
  3. How do I change the name on my computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the name on my computer?: I inherited a computer from my father and would like to change the name that appears as it signs into Windows. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-name-on-my-computer/58afc85c-f5b9-441b-b7c7-073729a0f47d
  4. How do I change the name of my laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the name of my laptop?: I want to change the technical name of my laptop to something more personal. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-name-of-my-laptop/54dc47d6-1cec-409c-a15f-a4c9758c490c
  5. How do I change the name of my device?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I change the name of my device?: I'm re-installing Windows 10 on my PC. The device name that was automatically assigned is quite obscure. I'm afraid I won't be able to recognize it in a list of family devices. Is there a way to change the name? Thanks, DebFisher1...
  6. How do I change my "users" name?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I change my "users" name?: I just noticed whenever I save a file and look for the file path to something, its been a number instead of my name. So it looks like C: > Users > 46374> etc.. is there a way to change it to my actual name instead of this? submitted by /u/braaan92 [link] [comments]...
  7. How do I change my system name?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I change my system name?: How do I change my system name? I'm running win 10 Pro. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-my-system-name/55527e2b-97d2-413b-9250-4fdf9c0c3ec6
  8. How do I change the name of my optical drives

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I change the name of my optical drives: I can change the drive letters, but I have two optical drives with different capabilities. I would like to differentiate them from one another. Can I change the text name? 131641
  9. How do I change the name of my device?

How do I change the name of my device?: How do I change the name of my device? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-name-of-my-device/e6923ea4-bf5f-4616-83bc-46816f84b820
  10. Changing the name of your Optical drive possible?

Changing the name of your Optical drive possible?: So ive spent some-odd hours trying to fix this and its not looking good. That in and of itself is perplexing but I figured if its doable, you guys here would know how! So I'm aware of the means of which you can change your Drive letters, not an issue. I am even aware of...