Windows 10: How do I change the name on my profile folder?

Discus and support How do I change the name on my profile folder? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was moving folders around to configure my system for my new M.2 drive. Somehow when I moved my Documents folder back to C: from D: it ended up under... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ruggb, Apr 8, 2021.

1. ruggb Win User

How do I change the name on my profile folder?

I was moving folders around to configure my system for my new M.2 drive.

Somehow when I moved my Documents folder back to C: from D: it ended up under USERS and not Bill. The result was that it renamed Bill to Documents.

I managed to create another Documents folder under Documents and get that back to the relocatable folder. The structure is now OK and everything appears to function normally, but I can't change the USERPROFILE folder name back to Bill.

Everyplace I look in the register has the correct path name and if I view the folders in CMD or Powershell it shows as Bill.

Why is the name in File Explorer = Documents when everything else says it is Bill, and how do I fix it?

:)

ruggb, Apr 8, 2021
  2. DSD
    DSD Win User

Need help with changing name of user profile folder

I would like to change the name of the user profile folder. I have found and tried a few methods including one from Microsoft forums. None of them worked. I kept getting something about my User needing to sign out and back in again that there was a problem, so I would sign out and back in again and it didn't work. I think the reason is because Windows created a TEMP user and would log me in under that so there would be a folder named C/User/TEMP and still the original named folder of C/User/myuserfolder.

I found this on the forums here: Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

The instructions are very similar to what I have tried. In the above post John W used safe mode. Do I need to go through all the steps again as listed in the post and then go into safe mode, or can I just use safe mode to change the folder name?

Also, are there newer instructions for how to do this with updates to Windows since the above thread was posted over a year ago?

Thanks in advance.

3. Brink Win User
    Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10  

Hello @UNISTAR, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Were you able to do step 14 to change your OneDrive folder to point to "Mamman" instead?

If all else fails, rename your profile folder back to "mamma". Afterwards, unlink OneDrive, rename the user profile to "Mamman", and try changing the OneDrive folder location again.

Brink, Apr 8, 2021
  4. Ryan_2013 Win User

Change User Name Folders

"The change the name on the Account folder is more difficult because it is more heavily protected. See this tutorial:https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/89060-chang..."

On this link, the details show renaming another account. I'm wanting to change the Admin account. It's a good thing I had another user setup on my computer, also as an Admin, because after changing the SID in step 8. And, unable to change the name in step
    11. As "Rename" wasn't in the list. I restarted the computer, since the Admin user account name was changed I was unable to load windows. I had to log into my other account, which was setup as Admin and change the SID back to the 5 letters the user name was
    titled.

My computer, Admin account, works again.

I wasn't wanting to just change another account user name, which this is possible to do. I wanted to change the main user, myself.

Ryan_2013, Apr 8, 2021
Thema:

1. How do I change the name on my profile folder? - Similar Threads - change name profile

2. How do I change the name of my User Folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I change the name of my User Folder?: I recently had to reinstall Windows 10 on my machine, and for some reason, it put "SwanP" as my Username folder. I want to change this to "Annabelle Baradine", but it says "Access Denied". How do I do this without having to reinstall Windows 10 again?...
  3. How do I change the name of my User Folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the name of my User Folder?: I recently had to reinstall Windows 10 on my machine, and for some reason, it put "SwanP" as my Username folder. I want to change this to "Annabelle Baradine", but it says "Access Denied". How do I do this without having to reinstall Windows 10 again?...
  4. How do I change a folder name?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change a folder name?: How do I change the name of a folder? * Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-a-folder-name/9bdfbd8a-97a6-4ec9-82b3-9e94158a06f6
  5. How do I change a folder name?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change a folder name?: How do I change the name of a folder? * Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-a-folder-name/9bdfbd8a-97a6-4ec9-82b3-9e94158a06f6
  6. How do I change the name of my Users folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the name of my Users folder?: I was wondering how I can change the name of my user/user library. The name "wildh" I would want to change it, but I don't know how, it's not listed anywhere in the user accounts. I have 3 pictures attached, one of the 3 pictures shows the only account on this computer on the...
  7. How do I change the name of my Users folder?

How do I change the name of my Users folder?: I was wondering how I can change the name of my user/user library. The name "wildh" I would want to change it, but I don't know how, it's not listed anywhere in the user accounts. I have 3 pictures attached, one of the 3 pictures shows the only account on this computer on the...
  8. How can I change my user profile folder name?

How can I change my user profile folder name?: Just got a new HP laptop with Win 11 home pre-installed. Before I had a Surface Pro 4. I bought a Seagate 2 TB drive for backup and file transfer. My Surface user profile name was JoeM c:\users\JoeM. When I set up the new laptop, Windows automatically set my user profile name...
  9. How can I change my user profile folder name?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I change my user profile folder name?: Just got a new HP laptop with Win 11 home pre-installed. Before I had a Surface Pro 4. I bought a Seagate 2 TB drive for backup and file transfer. My Surface user profile name was JoeM c:\users\JoeM. When I set up the new laptop, Windows automatically set my user profile name...
  10. How do I change the name of my User folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I change the name of my User folder?: My name is Hemant and the name of the folder is currently heman and I do find that slightly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-name-of-my-user-folder/44d18b45-cad3-44a5-ad47-342b354e436e