Windows 10: How do I change the password policy on my home PC running Windows 11

Discus and support How do I change the password policy on my home PC running Windows 11 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; On boot up today I was prompted to change my password without any context what so ever. After entering a new one it stated "the password does not meet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by John R9, Oct 5, 2023.

1. John R9 Win User

How do I change the password policy on my home PC running Windows 11

On boot up today I was prompted to change my password without any context what so ever. After entering a new one it stated "the password does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirements of the domain" which was extremely frustrating because A. its literally just my pc at home, i don't know what domain its talking about and B. there's no instructions on what length, complexity, or history requirements i need to meet. I wound up finding a password that would let me access my own PC again and I'm now on the hunt to find out how to change it back. When I try to change it in the set

:)

John R9, Oct 5, 2023

2. Accessing Password Policy in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you would like to set Password policy. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

To assist you better, I would like to know what happened when you try to change the policy. Did you get any error message?

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

You must log in as administrator to access these settings.

• Press Windows key + R and type secpol.msc
      and press enter.

• The Local Security Policy window will open. Now from the left pane, choose
      Password Policy from under Account Policies.

• On the right side, choose Maximum password age.

• If you wish the password to never Expire, set the value to
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Oct 5, 2023
  3. Domain Password Policy Update User Impact

Hi there,

I'm looking for some guidance on what the user impact would be if the password policy GPO was updated on the domain.

I'm looking to request from the users to update their passwords based on the password policies without enforcing them to change it upon next logon. Based on the existing policy and updated policies mentioned below, would there be any immediate impact that would force the users to change their passwords?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The current password policy (settings in BOLD will be updated):

• Enforce Password History: 5 Passwords remembered
    • Max Password Age: 90 days
    • Minimum Password Age: 0 days
    • Minimum Password Length: 11 characters
    • Password Must meet complexity requirements: Enabled

• Account lockout threshold: 6
    • Account lockout duration: 30 minutes
    • Reset account lockout counter after: 30 minutes

The updated password policy:

• Enforce Password History: 5 Passwords remembered
    • Max Password Age: 0 days (no expiry)
    • Minimum Password Age: 1 day
    • Minimum Password Length: 11 characters
    • Password Must meet complexity: Disabled

• Account lockout threshold: 10
    • Account lockout duration: 15 minutes
    • Reset account lockout counter after: 15 minutes

George Abou-Samra, Oct 5, 2023
  4. kiukitsu Win User

Error in changing password. Doesn't Password Policy Requirement

Hi,

I am having problems changing the password of the local administrator in Windows 10 Home.
    Before, I can use a simple password without any complexity. I noticed the changes the first time I used Microsoft Outlook and added my email in the company I am working with. Windows suddenly asked me to change my password with a complexity so I changed it. But I don't want to use complex password when logging in to my PC. I tried to change my password to my simple password but I receive the following error:

"The password you entered doesn't meet password policy requirements. Try one that's longer or more complex."

Upon research, this can be fixed in Local Group Policy. However, I can't find this anywhere in my PC. Even gpedit.msc and secpol.msc are not existing. I learned that these are not supported in Windows Home. But why is there a password policy requirement? I can't change my password to a simple one.

Now I am lost. I don't know how to remove the password policy requirements without the Local Group Policy.

Note: This is just a local administrator account, not a Microsoft account.

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance.

kiukitsu, Oct 5, 2023
Thema:

1. How do I change the password policy on my home PC running Windows 11 - Similar Threads - change password policy

2. How do I change the password policy on my home PC running Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the password policy on my home PC running Windows 11: On boot up today I was prompted to change my password without any context what so ever. After entering a new one it stated "the password does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirements of the domain" which was extremely frustrating because A. its literally just...
  3. How do you change the ADMINISTRATOR account lockout policy in Windows 11 HOME?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you change the ADMINISTRATOR account lockout policy in Windows 11 HOME?: My 1 and only account on my laptop the administrator keeps getting the "This sign-in option is disabled because of failed sign-in attempts or repeated shutdowns etc" message after make a couple of PIN mistakes here and there or have taken on multiple updates throughout the...
  4. How do you change the ADMINISTRATOR account lockout policy in Windows 11 HOME?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you change the ADMINISTRATOR account lockout policy in Windows 11 HOME?: My 1 and only account on my laptop the administrator keeps getting the "This sign-in option is disabled because of failed sign-in attempts or repeated shutdowns etc" message after make a couple of PIN mistakes here and there or have taken on multiple updates throughout the...
  5. How do I change my password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change my password?: I can change my local account password on my windows 10 machine, but not on my windows 11 machine. Why? The very same local account password that I use to login with just fine, windows says that password is wrong when I go to change it. How can this be, when I just signed in...
  6. how do I change my wifi password on pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I change my wifi password on pc: How to change mifi password on pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-my-wifi-password-on-pc/d6bc4b05-796d-446b-8377-96f665c4edda
  7. how do I change my wifi password on pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I change my wifi password on pc: How to change mifi password on pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-my-wifi-password-on-pc/d6bc4b05-796d-446b-8377-96f665c4edda
  8. How do I change my password?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I change my password?: I forgot my password, how do I put in a new one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-my-password/84ca6441-236e-48cf-a4a9-0745e60c1cdd
  9. How do I change the password that unlocks my PC?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I change the password that unlocks my PC?: Set a password but my family members cant memorize it. I wish to change it but don't know how. Drop your solutions. Thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-password-that-unlocks-my-pc/65822211-7bdc-41dc-95fa-128f4139a20d
  10. How do I change my windows password?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I change my windows password?: This used to be easy. Now , I can find no option for this in accounts: your info, email & accounts, etc... How do I do this? When i click on "resetting local password" it tries to open a browser. What is going on with this and why is changing a password for windows10 so...