Windows 10: How do I change the pictures on my desktop icons?

Discus and support How do I change the pictures on my desktop icons? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have tried to change the desktop icons according to Microsoft help but some of the categories they say will be present are not there. So can someone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by SteveMH82, Sep 4, 2019.

1. SteveMH82 Win User

How do I change the pictures on my desktop icons?

I have tried to change the desktop icons according to Microsoft help but some of the categories they say will be present are not there. So can someone tell me how to change shortcut icons in windows 10 please?

:)

SteveMH82, Sep 4, 2019
  2. MCK
    mck Win User

Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Sep 4, 2019
  4. How do I change the pictures on my desktop icons?

Desktop Icons

Hello Glenda,

Share this information to assist you better.

• Is the issue particular to the Comcast?
    • Have you installed all the pending updates?
    • Did you try changing icons of other shortcuts?
    Follow the steps and check if it helps:

Step 1: Press Windows+I to open Settings panel, and click
    Personalization to access Personalization settings.

Step 2: Tap Change desktop icons on the top left in the Personalization window.

Step 3: In the Desktop Icon Settings window, select the icon of
    This PC and click Change Icon.

Step 4: Choose a new icon from the list, and tap OK.

Step 5: Click OK to confirm the change.

Let us know the status of the issue.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Sep 4, 2019
Thema:

How do I change the pictures on my desktop icons?

1. How do I change the pictures on my desktop icons? - Similar Threads - change pictures desktop

2. How Do I Remove White Pictures On Desktop Icons?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How Do I Remove White Pictures On Desktop Icons?: How to remove these white parts of my desktop icons. I want a clean desktop without these https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-remove-white-pictures-on-desktop-icons/665ccbb3-042d-46b4-b70e-6cc72f9d209e
  3. How Do I Remove White Pictures On Desktop Icons?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How Do I Remove White Pictures On Desktop Icons?: How to remove these white parts of my desktop icons. I want a clean desktop without these https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-remove-white-pictures-on-desktop-icons/665ccbb3-042d-46b4-b70e-6cc72f9d209e
  4. desktop icons change to picture thumbnail .

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop icons change to picture thumbnail .: I have tried everything i know how to, but unable to change desktop icon to picture thumbnail. Need help. Is there a software to download to help?...
  5. How do I change the font color on my desktop icons?

How do I change the font color on my desktop icons?: When I got to my computer today, the font color on my icons had changed from black to white. I have a colorful background and I cannot read them anymore. I have a feeling that there may have been a Microsoft 365 update and perhaps that caused it. I tried lightening my...
  6. How do I change the spacing of desktop icons?

How do I change the spacing of desktop icons?: I have found this question here before but the answers did not address my problem. The icons on my desktop were previously much closer together than they now are, and I cannot seem to get them back the way they were. The icon size is the same as it has always been, and I have...
  7. how do I change icon size on desktop

how do I change icon size on desktop: how do I change icon size on desktop? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-icon-size-on-desktop/befff26f-6769-41aa-9350-d428c49e4f13
  8. how do i change the theme picture on desktop

how do i change the theme picture on desktop: how do i change the theme picture on desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-theme-picture-on-desktop/4569ee04-f30a-4221-967f-c98ce49da6af
  9. How do I change the icon symbol/picture on desktop to my own jpg?

How do I change the icon symbol/picture on desktop to my own jpg?: I know that if you go under properties there are a lot of icons to choose from. I want a picture that I downloaded since I accidently deleted the .ico file in my download folder. It's a shortcut to a program. Of course I emptied the recycle bin! 57777
  10. Desktop icons with tiny pictures - How do I get larger pictures?

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons with tiny pictures - How do I get larger pictures?: When I create desktop icons for Apps, some have TINY pictures. Example: [img] Same procedure to create the desktop icons, but different results. Another example: [img] Procedure: click-drag-drop program icon from All Apps to desktop. Note: screen resolution is...