Windows 10: How do I change the primary graphic card on XPS 15 L502X?

Discus and support How do I change the primary graphic card on XPS 15 L502X? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I just bought a used Dell XPS 15 and immediately I installed windows 10 Pro x64. I have a problem with the graphic cards, I tried installing Counter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Steffan, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Steffan Win User

How do I change the primary graphic card on XPS 15 L502X?

I just bought a used Dell XPS 15 and immediately I installed windows 10 Pro x64. I have a problem with the graphic cards, I tried installing Counter Strike Source to try out gaming performance. And the screen is automatically set to 1024x768 at max and it is of course all displayed in a square.
    I see that the on board card is used, but I DID open Nvidia control panel and I did choose the GT540M as the default hardware for gaming and every other program, I even chose to optimize for performance instead of battery duration... I am starting to think there might be compatibility issues with Windows 10. Also, the 3 glowing sensor buttons don't do anything when I touch them. I guess the need a driver too. Also, is there bluetooth on this laptop? If so, how do I install the driver for it?

:)

Steffan, Jan 30, 2018

2. How do I change the Primary Calendar on Windows Phone

Thank you Julie How do I change the primary graphic card on XPS 15 L502X? :)

Linley Meslier, Jan 30, 2018
  3. How do I change the Primary Calendar on Windows Phone

I suspect then that I can move my holidays to my primary calendar in outlook too? How would I do that, btw. How do I change the primary graphic card on XPS 15 L502X? :)

Kevin Focus, Jan 30, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

Right-click the Start button, click Device Manager. The Bluetooth function on all my Notebooks are part of the Wireless/Wi-Fi adapter but has its own entry in Device Manager while the Wireless will show in Network adapters. If not there you can get the drivers from support.dell.com, you'll need the Service Tag which is usually a black on white or white on black label somewhere on the bottom of the case, maybe look in the battery compartment and in the BIOS setup. Turning off the Wi-Fi usually turns off Bluetooth.

Berton, Jan 30, 2018
  5. Steffan Win User
    I did already look on the Dell support page. There is nothing to download that already hasnt been downloaded and installed. Do you think that the laptop could cause such problems due to incompatibility maybe?

Steffan, Jan 30, 2018
  6. Berton Win User
    Entirely possible. Since I'm not a gamer I haven't needed to have dual video support.

Berton, Jan 30, 2018
  7. Did you download the game from Steam? Their forums have a bunch of suggestions about this game and Win10. In Nvidia control panel it might be best to let it decide which to use. It SHOULD default to the GT540M for the game. Mine does for all games that's not flash based. As far as compatibility with Win10, have you tried running it in compatibility mode? Try it with 7. Also, have you made sure your GPU drivers are updated?

indianacarnie, Jan 30, 2018
  8. How do I change the primary graphic card on XPS 15 L502X?

9. Bat 1 Win User
    If you go into BIOS at boot you'll see the choices for graphics. On most laptops the choice will only be between the integrated GPU and Switchable. And switchable is really a hybrid type system. The laptop display will always run on the integrated GPU unless pushed really hard by 3D then the discrete GPU is run though the integrated one. On my laptop the only way I've found to get the discrete card to actually do anything is by using a external monitor *Sad

Go into the BIOS and see what your setting are.

Bat 1, Jan 30, 2018
  10. Hmmmmm, Mine doesn't. As soon as I start playing any AAA game my GTX 1060 starts right in. I don't even have to switch it, it just starts.

11. Bat 1 Win User
    That's how it's supposed to work, some just don't *Sad

ADDED: Might be my little 635m isn't much of a improvement over the Intel 4000 *Redface

Bat 1, Jan 30, 2018
  12. Steffan Win User
    1) I didnt, I bought it in a store. I DID run in compatibility mode. Nothing changes. As far as I know these are the freshest drivers. Literally downloaded and installed yesterday together with the W10.

Steffan, Jan 30, 2018
  13. Steffan Win User

Can you elaborate?

Steffan, Jan 30, 2018
  14. Steffan Win User
    that is very strange. Ill look at it, I didn't even open BIOS yet.

Steffan, Jan 30, 2018
  15. Helmut Win User
    According to Dell that is an Optimus laptop, about 6 years old.
    Normally the switching of Graphics is automatic based upon what is set in the Optimus version of the Nvidia Control Panel.
    gives windows 8 drivers for it. Thus I presume you are getting yours from Windows Updates, or are you using compatibility mode on the Windows 8 drivers.

You give us the details.

Dell's guide gives details of Optimus and how it works.
    No idea what Dell's BIOS contains, but mine has no graphics settings within to change, and it is a somewhat newer Optimus Laptop.

With the components you have there you would expect the Nvidia graphics to be roughly twice as fast as the integrated Intel one, in terms of fps.(HD4600 -> GT740M). I have done comprehensive tests on mine (HD4600 -> GT740M).

You won't know about incompatibilities until further up the knowledge road.

Helmut, Jan 31, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I change the primary graphic card on XPS 15 L502X? - Similar Threads - change primary graphic

2. Change primary graphics to nvidia

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change primary graphics to nvidia: Greetings, sorry for asking, i've been 2 night to solve this but nowhere.I have Lenovo Idepad Gaming 3 which is have Nvidia GTX 1650 on it, and I have external monitor.I want to change my external monitor display adaptor to dedicated GPU, the Nvidia GTX 1650.I'm already tried...
  3. Change primary graphics to nvidia

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change primary graphics to nvidia: Greetings, sorry for asking, i've been 2 night to solve this but nowhere.I have Lenovo Idepad Gaming 3 which is have Nvidia GTX 1650 on it, and I have external monitor.I want to change my external monitor display adaptor to dedicated GPU, the Nvidia GTX 1650.I'm already tried...
  4. how to change a amd graphics card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change a amd graphics card: so there is 2 graphics card in my laptop one is AMD Radeon TM and the other is Radeon RX 5500Mso my problem is i cant find the thing called the gpu workload option in the amd graphics software adrenaline editionso someone pls help me wiht this missin GPU workload option...
  5. how to change a amd graphics card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to change a amd graphics card: so there is 2 graphics card in my laptop one is AMD Radeon TM and the other is Radeon RX 5500Mso my problem is i cant find the thing called the gpu workload option in the amd graphics software adrenaline editionso someone pls help me wiht this missin GPU workload option...
  6. Changing graphics card?

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing graphics card?: Desktop PC with Windows 10 pro build 20h2 19042.964,, AMD Ryzen 7 1700x, 32 gig ram, 8 core. I plan to take my old gforce graphics card out of the system and replace it with a much better GTX 1650 super. I need to know if I should uninstall the old graphics card drivers then...
  7. BSOD playing NFS Rivals on Dell XPS 15 L502X

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD playing NFS Rivals on Dell XPS 15 L502X: Just when I thought I figured out the driver problem on my laptop, now I am facing a problem with overheating and/or stability issues. After less than 5 minutes of playing, the screen turned blue and error code showed with a QR code which just lead to a page on Microsoft...
  8. change of graphics card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    change of graphics card: A couple of weeks ago I found that I required a passively cooled graphics card for another pc . This pc had an Nvidia 610 which filled the bill. I uninstalled the drivers and fitted my spare Radeon 5670. I installed the 5670 drivers and the card is recognised in device...
  9. Dell XPS 15 L502X upgrade experience?

in Windows 10 Support
    Dell XPS 15 L502X upgrade experience?: I have a Dell XPS 15 L502X running windows 8.1 Pro. Dell's official drivers page says the laptop is not tested for windows 10 upgrade (Product Support | Dell US ). So is anybody out there who has upgraded to windows 10? Are you facing any driver issues or any other...
  10. How do I change primary language?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I change primary language?: In build 10240 I can download a Danish language pack in Settings. However I can't set it as primary... Anyone know how to do this? [img] 8316