Windows 10: How do I change the user folder name for my local account?

Discus and support How do I change the user folder name for my local account? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all, I recently got a new Windows 10 laptop and set it up with my Microsoft account, before switching to a local account. When I went to view... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MurdocNiccals, Jan 12, 2021.

1. How do I change the user folder name for my local account?

Hello all,

I recently got a new Windows 10 laptop and set it up with my Microsoft account, before switching to a local account.

When I went to view the user account folder for the local account C:\Users, I saw that windows had named the folder using the first 5 characters of the email tied to my Microsoft account.

I am not able to change the name of that email because google, and it contains my birth name.

I am transgender and I identify using a chosen name Hence why I don't use my real name [chosen or otherwise] on this forum, so seeing my dead name every time I look through my files really irks me

Is there any way to change the user folder name for my local account?

How do I change the user folder name for my local account? b6c39a23-6cb4-469d-a773-f8d4acf15ce0?upload=true.png

:)

MurdocNiccals, Jan 12, 2021

2. User Account Folder Name

Here's a workaround to rename the user account folder:

• Unlink your Microsoft Account from your Windows 10 device which will result for your account to be converted as a Local account.
    • Create a new Local account, name it using your preferred account and folder name then set it as Administrator.
    • Sign in to your Windows 10 device using the newly created local admin account.
    • Link your Microsoft Account to the newly created local admin account.

After doing the steps above, check if this resolves your concern. If so, migrate all your files from the old account to the new user account and delete the previous one.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Gerdimae Sal, Jan 12, 2021
  3. User Account folder name

Only like this you can change it. Isolved problem like this.Works 100% without deleting files

• Create a local account with the user name you wish.
    • Change account type to administrator (can skip if there is other administrator).
    • Remove original Microsoft linked account
    • Link local account to Microsoft account if you wish
    Local account creation is well hidden, here are step through Settings App :

Settings > Accounts > Family & Other users > Other users > Add someone else to this PC > The person I want to add doesn't have an email address > Add a user without Microsoft account

Armspecial, Jan 12, 2021
  4. How do I change the user folder name for my local account?

Change local user account name in Windows 10

Hello!

I've just reinstalled Win10 and created a second account for my wife. Unfortunately, the login names is the mail she's registered to Microsoft.

How can I change the name.

I've read an answer to same question suggesting following:

"

Follow the steps provided below to change the username and check.

• Press Windows key + X key.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Under view, select large icons.
    • Go to User Account.
    • Click on Manage another account

"

I don't have that option in Win10.

Thanks for assistance

MichaelBar, Jan 12, 2021
Thema:

How do I change the user folder name for my local account?

1. How do I change the user folder name for my local account? - Similar Threads - change user folder

2. How do I change the name of my User Folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I change the name of my User Folder?: I recently had to reinstall Windows 10 on my machine, and for some reason, it put "SwanP" as my Username folder. I want to change this to "Annabelle Baradine", but it says "Access Denied". How do I do this without having to reinstall Windows 10 again?...
  3. How do I change the name of my User Folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the name of my User Folder?: I recently had to reinstall Windows 10 on my machine, and for some reason, it put "SwanP" as my Username folder. I want to change this to "Annabelle Baradine", but it says "Access Denied". How do I do this without having to reinstall Windows 10 again?...
  4. How do I change the name of my User Folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do you change the user folder name tied to my user account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you change the user folder name tied to my user account: Whenever I sign into a fresh install of a windows machine with my personal account, my user profile is initialised with an undesirable user folder name. It is clear that it is saved somewhere against my account as its nothing to do with my name, and I would like to update...
  6. How do I change the name of my Users folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the name of my Users folder?: I was wondering how I can change the name of my user/user library. The name "wildh" I would want to change it, but I don't know how, it's not listed anywhere in the user accounts. I have 3 pictures attached, one of the 3 pictures shows the only account on this computer on the...
  7. How do I change the name of my Users folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the name of my Users folder?: I was wondering how I can change the name of my user/user library. The name "wildh" I would want to change it, but I don't know how, it's not listed anywhere in the user accounts. I have 3 pictures attached, one of the 3 pictures shows the only account on this computer on the...
  8. How do I change the folder with the name of the user

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I change the folder with the name of the user: Hiya my computer was set up by my ex and it has there name on it and it’s really upsetting seeing it whenever something is downloaded , is there any way I can change it to my name. Thanks submitted by /u/hayley_owo [link] [comments]...
  9. How do I change my user folder name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How do I change my user folder name: Windows 10 - The latest version. I messed up somehow and my user folder is now called "shang" ... go figure. However, I'd like it to be at least "Robert" or maybe even "RobertChalmers" but can't seem to find a way to change it. /Users/shang to /Users/Robert Does anyone...
  10. How do I change the name of my User folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I change the name of my User folder?: My name is Hemant and the name of the folder is currently heman and I do find that slightly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-name-of-my-user-folder/44d18b45-cad3-44a5-ad47-342b354e436e