Windows 10: How do I change the way Explorer sorts file names?

Discus and support How do I change the way Explorer sorts file names? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Currently I have files that someone else named. They put dates at the end of the file names using the format of "dd-mm-yyyy". Needless to say it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/tba002, Mar 30, 2021.

1. /u/tba002 Win User

How do I change the way Explorer sorts file names?

Currently I have files that someone else named. They put dates at the end of the file names using the format of "dd-mm-yyyy". Needless to say it's annoying and frustrating to look for files or keep track of what is there since I'm used to using the format "yymmdd" due to the way Explorer sorts the files.

I found that Powershell (PS) recognizes the first format and using "ls" lists the files in chronological order. I don't mean that PS sorts them by date created or modified in case you thought that's what I meant.

For example (let's asume that the files were created in this order), in Explorer I get:

File-03-06-2020 File-12-04-2018 File-23-07-2019 File-30-02-2016

In Powershell I get:

File-30-02-2016 File-12-04-2018 File-23-07-2019 File-03-06-2020

How can I change Explorer to show the files in the same order as Powershell?

submitted by /u/tba002
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/tba002, Mar 30, 2021
  2. Ron Carr Win User

File Explorer: How to change Drive names/Sort order?

This does not relate to my question. I was specifically referring to File Explorer and the way the drives are listed.

They are listed by the disk volume label first, then the drive letter. If the drive letter were first, it would sort the way I want.

So, how to change that order?

Ron Carr, Mar 30, 2021
  3. cereberus Win User
    Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Mar 30, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

dalchina, Mar 30, 2021
Thema:

1. How do I change the way Explorer sorts file names? - Similar Threads - change Explorer sorts

2. windows 10 sort file by name in File Explorer error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 sort file by name in File Explorer error: windows 10 sort file by name in File Explorer error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-sort-file-by-name-in-file-explorer/92df0e30-3c51-4aad-9cb4-100c4b2c2293
  3. windows 10 sort file by name in File Explorer error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 sort file by name in File Explorer error: windows 10 sort file by name in File Explorer error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-sort-file-by-name-in-file-explorer/92df0e30-3c51-4aad-9cb4-100c4b2c2293
  4. Sort file explorer, by name, back to front

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort file explorer, by name, back to front: Is there a way, to sort inside the file explorer, by name, right to left?EG:Input: Delta-2222; Alpha-3333; Charlie-4444; Beta-1111Sort by name: Alpha-3333; Beta-1111; Charlie-4444; Delta-2222Desired sorting: Beta-1111; Delta-2222; Alpha-3333; Charlie-4444...
  5. Sort file explorer, by name, back to front

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sort file explorer, by name, back to front: Is there a way, to sort inside the file explorer, by name, right to left?EG:Input: Delta-2222; Alpha-3333; Charlie-4444; Beta-1111Sort by name: Alpha-3333; Beta-1111; Charlie-4444; Delta-2222Desired sorting: Beta-1111; Delta-2222; Alpha-3333; Charlie-4444...
  6. How do I sort file name with Chinese pinyin?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I sort file name with Chinese pinyin?: I have collected some Chinese songs for my music playlist and organize by alphabetical order. In a way, I wanted the pinyin connect with alphabetical. For example, 1. ni 2. wo. However, I heard it is instead organize in unicode which mess up the pinyin. So is there a way to...
  7. how do I change Windows Explorer's sorting options?

how do I change Windows Explorer's sorting options?: Hi, At some point, my Downloads folder began listing items in subsections, such as: ----A------ A1 A2 A3 ----B------ B1 B2 B3 ----C---- C1 C2 I don't know why it started doing this. I want my Downloads folder to list things with no subsections. I want it to...
  8. Any way to sort files with dates in the name?

Any way to sort files with dates in the name?: I have a folder of Georges Braque's works, all of them JPG images with their titles formatted "Title-Year of creation-Painting medium". I want to sort these paintings by their year, but the year is in the middle of the title, not the front. The dates are all four digit years...
  9. How to change name of file in File Explorer

How to change name of file in File Explorer: How do I change a file name in File Explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-name-of-file-in-file-explorer/6be3d880-de63-4e08-9d6c-8be4edc13c0a"
  10. is there a way to default file explore to sorting by date

is there a way to default file explore to sorting by date: When I download a file and go to email I would like the files to be organized by date (todays date) is that possible https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-default-file-explore-to-sorting/10b9d017-9323-44df-8fcb-6d5d1e49da16"