Windows 10: How do I change which physical drive my iCloud Drive files occupy on my computer?

Discus and support How do I change which physical drive my iCloud Drive files occupy on my computer? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I use a Dell Inspiron laptop with a small 105GB SSD drive for the OS and a 1TB HDD for everything else. When installing iCloud from the Microsoft Store... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jordychinchin, Sep 1, 2020.

1. How do I change which physical drive my iCloud Drive files occupy on my computer?

I use a Dell Inspiron laptop with a small 105GB SSD drive for the OS and a 1TB HDD for everything else.
    When installing iCloud from the Microsoft Store it seems iCloud can only install on the same drive as the OS. Because of this, this SSD filled up quickly with the large video files I save from my capture card that save directly to my iCloud Drive.

What's strange too is that right-clicking the video files in my iCloud Drive and selecting "Free up space" and even emptying my Recycle Bin don't seem to free up space basically leaving me with a full and unusable SSD and iCloud Drive on my Windows machine.

I just re-installed Windows 10 on my laptop something I had been planning to do anyway so both harddrives have available space at the moment but I'm wondering if there is a way to have my iCloud files save to my D: Drive. I haven't been able to find any actual answers to this yet and it doesn't make sense to me that iCloud can only install on the same drive the OS is installed on yet it seems nothing can be done to change the actual drive the files you save to your iCloud take up space on before they're synced with the cloud.

:)

jordychinchin, Sep 1, 2020

2. Remove iCloud Photos from Devices and Drives View in File Explorer

thank you for this soln gogreen, much appreciated! Here is a quick summary for others if interested -

Reference:
    Steps:
    1. Open regedit (Win+R, "regedit")
    2. Enter key in address bar
    3. Deprecate key
      • Opt A. - delete
      • Opt B. - rename something different (e.g. prefix with "_")
    4. Close and re-open to observe result
    Key:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{F0D63F85-37EC-4097-B30D-61B4A8917118}
    thanks! How do I change which physical drive my iCloud Drive files occupy on my computer? :)

justinmreina, Sep 1, 2020
  3. Moving files to iCloud Drive

My problem statement says what you say, that the file space is still used after moving files to iCloud since iCloud Drive is still taking up space on the laptop's C:/ drive. I'm looking for a way to avoid this so I can use iCloud to access files I don't
    want to take up space on my C:/ drive. Apple provides an option to keep copy of iCloud files on my MACBook Pro or not to do so. I'm looking for a way to not have iCloud files stay on Win 10 PC drive.

David Peterman Sr., Sep 1, 2020
  4. How do I change which physical drive my iCloud Drive files occupy on my computer?

Moving files to iCloud Drive

I am running out of space on the 256GB SSD on my laptop running Win 10 Home.

I tried to move some rarely used files to my iCloud account using iCloud Drive but the space stays used on the SSD drive as shown in iCloud Drive folder. This does not happen on my friend's MACBook Pro. Is there a way to move files on Win 10 system to iCloud
    without their remaining on the SSD?

David Peterman Sr., Sep 1, 2020
Thema:

How do I change which physical drive my iCloud Drive files occupy on my computer?

1. How do I change which physical drive my iCloud Drive files occupy on my computer? - Similar Threads - change physical drive

2. How do I Locate which drive my OS is on, and change it to the C: drive if it's not on there...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I Locate which drive my OS is on, and change it to the C: drive if it's not on there...: recently reinstalled windows 11 to my Dell G5 15 laptop. It now uses almost 100% of my HDD, I already used chkdsk to try and resolve this issue. It also seems to have reassigned my D drive as my OS drive, and my C drive as my data drive. But for some reason still thinks the...
  3. How do I Locate which drive my OS is on, and change it to the C: drive if it's not on there...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I Locate which drive my OS is on, and change it to the C: drive if it's not on there...: recently reinstalled windows 11 to my Dell G5 15 laptop. It now uses almost 100% of my HDD, I already used chkdsk to try and resolve this issue. It also seems to have reassigned my D drive as my OS drive, and my C drive as my data drive. But for some reason still thinks the...
  4. How to change iCloud Drive to different drive partition.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change iCloud Drive to different drive partition.: I'm again trying to change the iCloud Drive location to a different partition than C:. But the following solution no longer seems to work:How do I change which physical drive my iCloud Drive files occupy on my computer?When I re-enable iCloud Drive after creating the link,...
  5. How to change iCloud Drive to different drive partition.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change iCloud Drive to different drive partition.: I'm again trying to change the iCloud Drive location to a different partition than C:. But the following solution no longer seems to work:How do I change which physical drive my iCloud Drive files occupy on my computer?When I re-enable iCloud Drive after creating the link,...
  6. How to change iCloud Drive to different drive partition.

7. How do I find out, which process occupies my computer?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How do I find out, which process occupies my computer?: Hi guys, I am running a program, which after pressing a key freezes for a short time. E.g. I am pressing a key and the display freezes for maybe one second. If I press a key ten times, the freeze is more or less ten times as long as it is when I only pressed the key once. I...
  8. Wanting to change physical drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Wanting to change physical drive: Hello. My hard drive is recently giving me some problems and I would like to install another one in its place. Do I need to buy another Windows 10 license? Or can I use the old one?...
  9. Changing volume for iCloud Drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing volume for iCloud Drive?: submitted by /u/Stumble19 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eb7vp8/changing_volume_for_icloud_drive/
  10. Reconnect my drive? Which drive?

Reconnect my drive? Which drive?: I've started getting an announcement at boot time that commands me "Reconnect Your Drive." But the genius who wrote this message left tout one small detail, the drive ID. which drive am I supposed to reconnect? And just HOW am I supposed to reconnect It? And BTW: I'm...