Windows 10: How do I check my USB-C port for faults/defects?

Discus and support How do I check my USB-C port for faults/defects? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; My new iPad Mini 6 up to date won't sync to iTunes through the provided USB-C but it will charge...usually.The cable charges fine through an outlet and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Ch00path1ng4, Mar 23, 2023.

1. How do I check my USB-C port for faults/defects?

My new iPad Mini 6 up to date won't sync to iTunes through the provided USB-C but it will charge...usually.The cable charges fine through an outlet and provided charge "block", so I wanted to check my USB-C for faults.Is there a way to have Windows 11 22H2 run a hardware test on the USB-C port to see if it's got a data-transfer fault or something?It's labelled SS with the USB logo, so it should be capable of data transfer, no?

:)

Ch00path1ng4, Mar 23, 2023
  2. alecm3 Win User

USB 3.0 transfer speed drops to 0 only on one port. USB port and external drive are NOT defective.

I have a Dell XPS 13 laptop with two USB 3.0 ports. I connect a Seagate expansion drive to the left USB port and transfer a 4GB test file. It transfers about 1GB at 150MB/s and then transfer speed drops to 0. Then it picks up again after 3-4minutes, then
    drops again intermittently.

I connect the same Seagate drive to the right USB port. The same 4GB file transfers with a constant speed of approximately 150MB/s. Thus the Seagate drive is not defective. Perhaps the left USB port is defective.

I connect a Sandisk 128GB flash drive to the left USB port (that is now suspected defective). It transfers the same 4GB file with constant 130MB/s speed, no speed drops!

Each step is reproducible 10x.

I am out of my wits here.

alecm3, Mar 23, 2023
  3. spapakons Win User
    USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

How do I check my USB-C port for faults/defects? 47717d1485959446t-usb-port-oddities-replace-usb-drivers-step-1.jpg

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

How do I check my USB-C port for faults/defects? 47718d1485959446t-usb-port-oddities-replace-usb-drivers-step-2.jpg

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

How do I check my USB-C port for faults/defects? 47719d1485959446t-usb-port-oddities-replace-usb-drivers-step-3.jpg

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

How do I check my USB-C port for faults/defects? 47720d1485959446t-usb-port-oddities-replace-usb-drivers-step-4.jpg

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Mar 23, 2023
  4. How do I check my USB-C port for faults/defects?

USB 3 ports

Hi David,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Regrets the inconvenience caused.

If your USB does not work after you plug it in, it’s probably because of one of the following causes:

• Windows can’t find a driver for the USB device.
    • Windows doesn't recognize the USB device.
    • There's a problem with the device
    • The driver for the device is faulty
    • The device isn't getting enough power
    • The USB port is defective
    Suggest you to check and install all latest and compatible windows 10 drivers from Manufacture's website for your device. Most probably it will fix the issue.

You can check the driver status under General tab, in device Manager. If you suspect that a driver is faulty, contact the manufacturer.

Hope this will address your query.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Mar 23, 2023
Thema:

How do I check my USB-C port for faults/defects?

1. How do I check my USB-C port for faults/defects? - Similar Threads - check USB port

2. how do i charge my laptop with a usb port?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i charge my laptop with a usb port?: i have lost my laptop charger and will not be able to get it fixed for the next few days. however i require its usage. how can i charge it with a usb-c type port??...
  3. how do i charge my laptop with a usb port?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do i charge my laptop with a usb port?: i have lost my laptop charger and will not be able to get it fixed for the next few days. however i require its usage. how can i charge it with a usb-c type port??...
  4. How do I check my USB-C port for faults/defects?

How do I check my USB-C port for faults/defects?: My new iPad Mini 6 up to date won't sync to iTunes through the provided USB-C but it will charge...usually.The cable charges fine through an outlet and provided charge "block", so I wanted to check my USB-C for faults.Is there a way to have Windows 11 22H2 run a hardware test...
  5. How do I reinstall a USB C port driver on Windows 10?

How do I reinstall a USB C port driver on Windows 10?: One of my USB C ports was not working. I tried updating drivers, restart, etc I uninstalled the USB C that was not working and now it does not appear in the device manager. How do I reinstall? Operating HP laptop on Windows 10. I'm not super adept at this so make it simple -...
  6. How do I reinstall a USB C port driver on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reinstall a USB C port driver on Windows 10?: One of my USB C ports was not working. I tried updating drivers, restart, etc I uninstalled the USB C that was not working and now it does not appear in the device manager. How do I reinstall? Operating HP laptop on Windows 10. I'm not super adept at this so make it simple -...
  7. How do I reinstall a USB C port driver on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. How do I prove my CMOS is defective?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I prove my CMOS is defective?: I am having multiple problems with my boot process and believe I have eliminated everything else except my CMOS. My CMOS battery is fine - but my Boot Sequence is not being followed. The most glaring clue I have is this: I have only my CD/DVD checked off in my boot sequence....
  9. USB C port

USB C port: hello i bought a usb c hub when i plug it in it says that the last usb device was not recognized . in the device manger it says port reset error and there is a yellow warning triangle. what can i do to get this hub to be recognized.[ATTACH] thank you...
  10. USB C Port

USB C Port: I have a USB C port on the back of my desktop and I need to be able to transfer data through it, but it only seems to charge. Is this a windows 10 error or will I just have to buy an adapter to plug my cable into the front?...