Windows 10: How do I choose which monitor new desktop icons appear on?

Discus and support How do I choose which monitor new desktop icons appear on? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am using a computer with multiple monitors. I have monitor 1 set as my main display, and monitor 2 is secondary. When I save a file to my desktop,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ExpertCoder14, May 4, 2021.

1. How do I choose which monitor new desktop icons appear on?

I am using a computer with multiple monitors. I have monitor 1 set as my main display, and monitor 2 is secondary. When I save a file to my desktop, the file always seems to appear on my secondary monitor instead of my main display, even though monitor 1 is set to be the main display. Is it possible to change which monitor new desktop icons appear on?

:)

ExpertCoder14, May 4, 2021

2. How do I choose which monitor new desktop icons appear on?

I'm afraid that is not applicable. There is already a check in the main display checkbox for monitor 1, however my new desktop icons are appearing on monitor 2.

ExpertCoder14, May 5, 2021
  3. How do I choose which monitor new desktop icons appear on?

I am using a computer with multiple monitors. I have monitor 1 set as my main display, and monitor 2 is secondary.

When I save a file to my desktop, the file always seems to appear on my secondary monitor instead of my main display, even though monitor 1 is set to be the main display.

Is it possible to change which monitor new desktop icons appear on?

ExpertCoder14, May 5, 2021
  4. Swapna S Win User

How do I choose which monitor new desktop icons appear on?

Desktop shortcuts appear on external monitor instead of pc

Hi,

I will certainly help you with the issue you are experiencing in getting
    desktop shortcuts on your PC from External monitor.

This issue might occur due to default settings where you are not able to view the desktop shortcuts on the PC, you are looking for.

Before proceeding further, I would like to ask few questions for better assistance:

• Which edition of Windows are you working with?
    Please follow below mentioned steps to fix the issue:

• Plug in the second monitor which physically sits to the left of your primary screen

• Right click the desktop, choose
      Graphic Options>Output To>Extended Desktop> Built-in display + Monitor.

• Extended desktop enabled, but screen 2 (on the left) can only be accessed by moving the cursor to the right.

• Right click the desktop and choose
      Graphic Properties - choose 'Multiple Displays' from the side menu.

• Move monitor 2 from its default
      'Right' side to the left – all the icons go with it
      to screen 2 but the taskbar stays on the primary monitor.

• Click 'Apply' to accept this (temporarily) - close the
      'properties' window.

• Right Click the desktop, but this time choose
      'Screen Resolution'. Ensure that screen 2 is to the left - if not, move it.

• Click on screen 1 and ensure it says
      'This is currently your main display'

• Click on screen 2 and tick the box that says
      'Make this my main display' - the taskbar should move to screen 2.

• Finally click on Screen 1 again and tick the box that says
      'Make this my main display' - the taskbar and
      all the icons should move back to screen 1.
    I would like to Inform/suggest, Press the
    Windows key + P, and then choose a way to project:

• PC screen only
      – All your desktop shortcuts will be seen only on primary monitor/Desktop.

• Duplicate- Desktop Shortcuts that is on primary monitor/Desktop will replicate on Secondary monitor too.

• Extend- Primary monitor will be extended to Secondary monitor. But all the desktop shortcuts will appear only on primary monitor. (If you want to have the desktop
      shortcuts that’s on primary monitor on secondary monitor, you can just drag the shortcuts from primary to secondary monitor and check if that helps).

• Second screen only- All your desktop shortcuts will be seen only on Secondary monitor/Desktop.
    Please get back to us, if you still facing issue
    in getting desktop shortcuts on your PC from External monitor.

Thank you.

Swapna S, May 5, 2021
Thema:

How do I choose which monitor new desktop icons appear on?

1. How do I choose which monitor new desktop icons appear on? - Similar Threads - choose monitor desktop

2. Which monitor upgrade would you choose?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Which monitor upgrade would you choose?: I'm trying to decide on my next monitor purchase and am struggling between primarily two different options. My current monitor is a 6-7 year old Acer Predator x34p (38" 1440p ultrawide, no HDR). For the last year now I have been trying to decide whether to go with the same...
  3. No icons appear on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No icons appear on desktop: Files don't appear on desktop but do in the desktop folder in the file explorer. The recycle bin icon turned into that gray rectangle at the top of the desktop that stretches the entire width of the screen. Icons don't appear in the desktop icon settings....
  4. How Do I Change Which Apps Appear On The Desktop For Other Users?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How Do I Change Which Apps Appear On The Desktop For Other Users?: I have two users: - User A - Admin - User B - Standard I want to adjust which apps appear on the desktop for User B and all other standard users (i.e: all future users expect User A). Example: User A: - Chrome - Spotify - iTunes - Excel User B: - Chrome - Spotify Note:...
  5. which to choose- This is for a labtop I barely used and want to return so which do I choose...

which to choose- This is for a labtop I barely used and want to return so which do I choose...: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/etlwcs3f41761.png?width=852&format=png&auto=webp&s=1f8c31d68f0b1e5bdaa545d39a7c6f8f4d8404f9 submitted by /u/zaddy800 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kj4x3v/which_to_choose_this_is_for_a_labtop_i_barely/
  6. Remote Desktop UI, allow choosing which monitors to use.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote Desktop UI, allow choosing which monitors to use.: [ATTACH] When you have more than 2 monitors, there is no option to choose in the UI which monitors to use, i.e. If you have monitor 1, 2, 3, 4, span fullscreen only in 1, 2. There is an option to set this by editing the .rdp file and changing the attribute...
  7. Icons not appearing in desktop screen most of which are file icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons not appearing in desktop screen most of which are file icons: [ATTACH] The Icons of the folder also of some of the applications which have been installed from Internet not Microsoft Store have disappeared and is now blank. It was working fine before but after the recent update these are my system information OS Name Microsoft...
  8. Desktop icons appearing on second monitor

Desktop icons appearing on second monitor: As my title suggests, I am trying to troubleshoot an issue where my desktop icons are appearing on the wrong screen. I have my primary display set correctly in settings however, the icons continue to appear on the wrong monitor. This isn't a huge concern to me, but it is more...
  9. Customize "Choose which folders appear on start" ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Customize "Choose which folders appear on start" ?: In settings > personalization > start > Choose which folders appear on start Can we add custom folders to this ? There are some folders which I use very frequently which aren't any of the standard folders (downloads, documents etc) 21120
  10. missing icons on settings > choose icons to appear on taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    missing icons on settings > choose icons to appear on taskbar: Hi all please see the screenshot. [img] is there a way to fix this? thanks! 42338