Windows 10: How do I clean up the aesthetic of the File Explorer Ribbon - 1909

Discus and support How do I clean up the aesthetic of the File Explorer Ribbon - 1909 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; [img] Mostly I have to keep this Ribbon open to toggle hidden files. Most of the labels we don't need and they are in the way. The icons are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by LindseyLeeanna, Apr 4, 2020.

1. How do I clean up the aesthetic of the File Explorer Ribbon - 1909

How do I clean up the aesthetic of the File Explorer Ribbon - 1909 [​IMG]

Mostly I have to keep this Ribbon open to toggle hidden files.

Most of the labels we don't need and they are in the way. The icons are actually designed to visually explain what the button does.

We really don't need the copy and paste icons. Everybody with a brain uses Ctrl C & V, or the right click menu. I'm not sure about the move to and copy to buttons. I never use them.
    Why is the X for delete so ridiculously huge? Why is it even there?
    And the same with Rename. To Rename an item, you literally just click on it. Why would you click this?
    I haven't used new item or easy access. I don't even know what they are.
    Invert Selection is a good tool.

So basically this is just one tab example, but you get the idea here. Usually I switch to the View tab, and disregard the other two.

File Explorer is a tool I use very often, and this Ribbon just drives me nuts. It drives my visual OCD tendencies up the wall! Can somebody please make a ready-made script/tweak to make this better and share the link. Thank you. & No, I do not wish to use a third party dam, since I know somebody will suggest that.

:)

LindseyLeeanna, Apr 4, 2020
  2. Anne Fuj Win User

File Explorer Ribbon or Tool Bar

Hello,

We understand that you want to keep the ribbon open in File Explorer.

There are ways on how to achieve this. Here are some of it. Kindly check the methods below:

Hide or show the Ribbon using a Registry tweak

• Open Registry Editor.
    • Go to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

If this key does not exist, just create it.
    • Create or modify the 32-bit DWORD value named ExplorerRibbonStartsMinimized. explorerribbonstartsminimized

Note: Even if you are running 64-bit Windows you must still create a 32-bit DWORD value.
      • To start Explorer with the Ribbon always minimized, set the ExplorerRibbonStartsMinimized value data to 3.
      • To start Explorer with the Ribbon always maximized, set it to 4. Delete the ExplorerRibbonStartsMinimized parameter to restore the default behavior.
      • Delete the ExplorerRibbonStartsMinimized parameter to restore the default behavior.

Using a Group Policy tweak, you can force Explorer to always start with the Ribbon minimized.

• Press Win + R keys together on your keyboard.
    • The Run box will appear. Type the following in the Run box and then press Enter:
      • gpedit.msc
    • In the left pane of Group Policy Editor, navigate to the following path:
      • User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ File Explorer
    • Now locate the setting called Start File Explorer with Ribbon minimized in the right pane and double click it. The policy configuration window will open.
    • Set the option to the "Enabled" state and pick the option below it which is suitable for you.

Update us with the result so we can further assist you.

Anne Fuj, Apr 4, 2020
  3. File Explorer Green Ribbon of Death

When I first upgraded to W10, File Explorer worked as it did in W7. Now when I open it I see a blank preview section and the forever expanding green ribbon in the ribbon bar. I tried checking Always show Icons, never thumbnails and the green ribbon finally finishes. But not being able to see picture thumbnails is a pain. I turned thumbnails on for the Pictures folder only and the never ending green ribbon is back. Possibly a related problem: with thumbnails off (or on) if I left click on a video file in the Videos volder, file explorer hangs and I have to end it with Task Manager.

I have heard that by ending the dllhost.exe process/service, the green ribbon goes away, but so does W10 security and stability.

Suggestions on how to fix are appreciated.

Without a properworking File Explorer, W10 is not really a suitable OS.

Graywuhllf, Apr 4, 2020
  4. How do I clean up the aesthetic of the File Explorer Ribbon - 1909

File Explorer 1909

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you are seeing the changes with the Search tool and the Search feature in File Explorer.

We would like to inform you that there are slight changes to certain features in Windows Explorer in the latest version (1909) of Windows 10, which optimizes the performance of the operating system. The Search ribbon option highlights
    itself when you type in the keyword and press Enter.

Regarding that Auto-Save feature hangs file explorer, we would like you to check the same issue on a new user account. Follow the steps from the article

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

However, we certainly appreciate your valuable feedback and suggestions based on your user experience. Hence, I suggest you to leave your ideas and suggestions in the

Feedback
    Hub, which gives our developer team the opportunity to hear our users’ voice and see if it can be implemented in the future updates.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Apr 4, 2020
Thema:

How do I clean up the aesthetic of the File Explorer Ribbon - 1909

1. How do I clean up the aesthetic of the File Explorer Ribbon - 1909 - Similar Threads - clean aesthetic File

2. I have no toolbar and no ribbon in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I have no toolbar and no ribbon in file explorer: I have no toolbar and no ribbon in file explorer but in other accounts, there's the toolbar and ribbon. How do I get back it? I've looked for tutorials, Microsoft forums, etc. I have a third party file explorer from Yair A do I supposed to remove it?...
  3. I have no toolbar and no ribbon in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have no toolbar and no ribbon in file explorer: I have no toolbar and no ribbon in file explorer but in other accounts, there's the toolbar and ribbon. How do I get back it? I've looked for tutorials, Microsoft forums, etc. I have a third party file explorer from Yair A do I supposed to remove it?...
  4. How do I restore the ribbon in file explorer windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I restore the ribbon in file explorer windows 11: With the new windows 11 update the ribbon in file explorer changed and i can't get it back to the original one. I tried winaero and register editor but I can't get the original ribbon back. Can anyone help?...
  5. How do I restore the ribbon in file explorer windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I restore the ribbon in file explorer windows 11: With the new windows 11 update the ribbon in file explorer changed and i can't get it back to the original one. I tried winaero and register editor but I can't get the original ribbon back. Can anyone help?...
  6. Clean up File Explorer

Clean up File Explorer: My File Explorer page is a total mess. Can anyone show me step by step directions to return it to its default state without resetting/restoring Windows 10 itself. In the left column are listed every folder and many files that I have ever placed on this PC. I want File...
  7. File explorer ribbon missing

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer ribbon missing: I am on windows 10 build 2004. For some reason, my explorer ribbon is just missing. I looked through a few old forum posts on here, but they suggest opening the drop down menu at the top, which is also somehow missing for me. Attached a screenshot. Any help would be...
  8. how do i clean up temporary files

how do i clean up temporary files: how do I clean up temporary file s? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-clean-up-temporary-files/f46cb1d4-e118-4b2f-8bcc-c2a011a44ab9
  9. File Explorer ribbon is blank

File Explorer ribbon is blank: [ATTACH]A couple days ago after Windows did an update, suddenly the Ribbon in File Explorer is always blank. Have done few more updates, hoping it would sort itself out, but it hasn't. Also started in Safe Mode, and it the issue is still there....
  10. The ribbon in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    The ribbon in File Explorer: Has any one figured out how to take the system tab off the ribbon in File Explorer? 28956