Windows 10: How do I clone Windows partition (not drive) to bootable SSD?

Discus and support How do I clone Windows partition (not drive) to bootable SSD? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a desktop machine with an HDD that I partitioned into a small bootable partition for Windows and applications, and a much larger partition for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ricecrispies, Dec 28, 2018.

1. How do I clone Windows partition (not drive) to bootable SSD?

I have a desktop machine with an HDD that I partitioned into a small bootable partition for Windows and applications, and a much larger partition for data. I did this anticipating that at some point I would want to be able to clone the Windows partition to an SSD which would be much smaller than the HDD. However it is not obvious to me how to do the cloning. I can find instructions for cloning one drive to another and making it bootable, but I haven't found instructions on how to copy just one partition to another drive and make it bootable. How should I go about doing this?

:)

ricecrispies, Dec 28, 2018
  2. g geek Win User

clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

My HP Vista laptop took a swim and died. I pulled the 320MB HD, put it in an external enclosure and found it still good. Bought a new Dell Win 10 machine w/ 1TB HD. Plan was to:

• Partition off a piece of the new 1TB w/ native Win10 Disk Management.

• Clone the 320MB Vista drive into the new partition w/ Easeus Partition Manager.

• Run Paragon-adaptive-restore on the Vista partition.

• Set up as dual-boot Win10 / Vista.
    Ran into problems right away. Apparently can't clone the MBR HD to a GPT partition and have it remain bootable. Don't see a way to do this without wiping the new Dell 1TB clean – which I'm hesitant to do, especially since I'm about 6000 miles from
    home right now.

• What's the solution to cloning the MBR drive to a bootable GPT partition?

• Am I on the right track? I really want to preserve this Vista installation - I have 30+ years of data in legacy programs on it that would be very difficult to access in Win10.
    TIA

g geek, Dec 28, 2018
  3. cloneing a drive in windows 10

Hi,I have this question last year,but my os is windows 8.there are my steps of

How to clone drive in winodws

,you can check.hope that helps

First,I download a free tool of MiniTool partition wizard and launch it.

Step 1. Connect SSD to Windows 8. Install and launch MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition, select the source hard drive and then choose “Copy

Step 2. Select a disk to copy the source disk. Here you are expected to choose the SSD (we choose disk 3).

Note: All the data on SSD will be destroyed, so make sure you have done backup in advance. You are allowed to clone a hard drive to a smaller SSD, as long as it can hold all data in the source disk. You can also clone SSD to larger SSD by using MiniTool
    Partition Wizard Free Edition.

Step 3. Review the changes you are going to make and also change the copy options if necessary.

Step 4. MiniTool Partition Wizard will tell you how to boot from the destination hard drive. So if you are cloning boot drive to SSD, you need to pay attention.

Step 5. When you are lead to the main interface again, you can preview the changes you are going to make from the middle pane. (Here disk 3 has the same disk layout with disk 1.) If you confirm these
    changes, you should click “Apply” to make the changes effective. Hope that helps

Areil.Bart, Dec 28, 2018
  4. adcx64 Win User

How do I clone Windows partition (not drive) to bootable SSD?

Bootable Hard drive cloning disk recommendations.

Hey guys,
    I'm looking for a bootable software I can burn on a disk to fully clone a hard drive. I have a 500 GB drive with two partitions and I want to clone both to a 160 GB drive so I can use the 500 in a different computer. I need the 160 to be bootable as it would become the new boot drive in the computer.

adcx64, Dec 28, 2018
Thema:

How do I clone Windows partition (not drive) to bootable SSD?

1. How do I clone Windows partition (not drive) to bootable SSD? - Similar Threads - clone partition drive

2. How do I make a bootable cloned ssd.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I make a bootable cloned ssd.: I have a pretty old computer. An hp pavilion prebuilt desktop from 2011. It has a very old hdd with more than 400gb. I bought a 240gb Kingston ssd from amazon. I tried to install windows 10 on the ssd but because the computer is old it didn't work. Can anyone please tell what...
  3. How do I make a bootable cloned ssd.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I make a bootable cloned ssd.: I have a pretty old computer. An hp pavilion prebuilt desktop from 2011. It has a very old hdd with more than 400gb. I bought a 240gb Kingston ssd from amazon. I tried to install windows 10 on the ssd but because the computer is old it didn't work. Can anyone please tell what...
  4. v. 20h2 how do i clone a partition to a backup drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    v. 20h2 how do i clone a partition to a backup drive: v. 20h2 how do i clone a partition to a backup drive 175126
  5. Cloned Drive bootable?

Cloned Drive bootable?: I have an SSD in my laptop. I cloned it to a SSD in an external case. When I put the cloned drive in the laptop it isn't recognized. How do I make it bootable? 161368
  6. Cloned Drive bootable?

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloned Drive bootable?: I have an SSD in my laptop. I cloned it to a SSD in an external case. When I put the cloned drive in the laptop it isn't recognized. How do I make it bootable? 161368
  7. Cloned M.2 Boot SSD to Sata SSD, How do I boot to the cloned drive?

Cloned M.2 Boot SSD to Sata SSD, How do I boot to the cloned drive?: My Windows is Windows 10 Pro Version 1909. I have a Western Digital SN750 M.2 NVME SSD. It has my Windows 10 Installation and a Data Partition. I recently bought a Samsung 960 Evo which is a Sata SSD. They are both 1 TB. I used the Samsung Data Migration Tool to Clone my...
  8. Cloned M.2 Boot SSD to Sata SSD, How do I boot to the cloned drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloned M.2 Boot SSD to Sata SSD, How do I boot to the cloned drive?: My Windows is Windows 10 Pro Version 1909. I have a Western Digital SN750 M.2 NVME SSD. It has my Windows 10 Installation and a Data Partition. I recently bought a Samsung 960 Evo which is a Sata SSD. They are both 1 TB. I used the Samsung Data Migration Tool to Clone my...
  9. Cloning the Windows partition as an ongoing bootable backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloning the Windows partition as an ongoing bootable backup: I am running Windows 10 Pro from a partition on an SSD. I have two internal HDDs: one for data and the second for backups, temporary files, RAM swap file, etc. I want that second HDD to have a bootable Windows 10 Pro partition. I would use this to run my computer in case...
  10. How to make cloned drive bootable?

How to make cloned drive bootable?: I cloned C drive to G via Macrium Reflect sector by sector but cannot understand why the cloned SSD is not bootable. What commands do I run to enable the mirror G drive to boot just like C?The hardware is MSI Titan GT80 SLI running Windows 10. [img] The G drive needs to say...