Windows 10: How do I configure OneDrive to back up only those folders and files that I specify?

Discus and support How do I configure OneDrive to back up only those folders and files that I specify? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I more-or-less figured out how to use the auto-archive feature, but OneDrive seems to have a mind of its own. I would like to use it as traditional... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Relztrah, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Relztrah Win User

How do I configure OneDrive to back up only those folders and files that I specify?

I more-or-less figured out how to use the auto-archive feature, but OneDrive seems to have a mind of its own. I would like to use it as traditional cloud storage like Dropbox whereby I create a file and then back it up to OneDrive. But apparently Microsoft wants me to use it the other way around: I work from OneDrive and back up to my hard drive. This is supposedly to save space on my hard drive which is unnecessary because I have plenty of space on my hard drive. And of course it requires that I am online at all times which is not the case.

And now today I see that OneDrive has created a desktop short cut to a new folder.

How do I configure OneDrive to back up only those folders and files that I specify? 46a4df7b-f3c5-412d-b454-f05c6abab7e3?upload=true.png

What? This is a shortcut to a folder in OneDrive containing text files that I saved to my desktop. As if I really need to back up text files to the cloud. Seriously? Microsoft thinks this is a convenience?

But back to my original question: how do I configure OneDrive so that I decide what gets backed up to the cloud and when?

:)

Relztrah, Mar 4, 2020
  2. mystvearn Win User

Making PC desktop path native to onedrive folder?

Hi, I am using Microsoft office 365 as part of my institution package. Is it possible for the PC desktop files to natively display a folder from the onedrive? I want to make all common C: locations to onedrive locations. So if anything happens, I always have everything sync online?

Previously I synced the locations so from "C:\user\username" to other places on the PC. Previously, I use syncback to syncfolders to Onedrive and other HD's. However, this step is just redundant. When you sync onedrive to the PC, you still need to specify a place on the PC. So from "C:\user\username\ onedrive". Technically, Onedrive still uses a physical place on the PC to store files.
    So what I did is that I specify which part of the onedrive to replace "My Documents", "My Pictures", "Downloads" folder in the quick access. I am having a problem specifying or replacing the Desktop folder. Is it possible to change my native desktop to display directly the desktop on the onedrive online? The only problem I see is application shortcuts. You cannot specify a shortcut to appear on the onedrive folder. Aside from that, I get full autosave function of MS files which is connected to Onedrive. If it is not possible to replace the desktop file, I will still use the same solution with syncback.

Thanks for the suggestions.

mystvearn, Mar 4, 2020
  3. onedrive duplicating my folders...

Hi.

Again, onedrive is going crazy and is duplicating my main folder, full of subfolders. It's locking me out of all my files. I have windows 10, Office 365 home. I paused synch at the moment before I have 1000 copy of my folder, which I can't open anyway!
    Please don't ask me any question that will further delay the repair. Simply give me a step by step solution and then improve onedrive so this won't happen again to so many of us. I suggest you also add "onedrive" in the list of "Windows Topics" below since
    thousands of users have issues with it.

Thanks

Michel

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Michel Chiangmai, Mar 4, 2020
  4. How do I configure OneDrive to back up only those folders and files that I specify?

Windows 10 search is not searching for file contents in OneDrive folder

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as Windows 10 search is not searching for file contents in OneDrive folder.

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check Windows 10 search is able to search the file in OneDrive folder.

1. Press Windows + I key to launch
      Windows Settings
    2. Select Cortana and click
      Permissions & History
      from the left pane.
    3. Toggle the Windows Cloud Search switch to
      On, which present under Cloud Search.
    4. Restart the page and then initiate Windows Search.

However, we do have a dedicated support team for OneDrive related queries, you can get in touch with them for further assistance. Follow the below steps to contact the OneDrive support team.

Sign in to OneDrive.com from any browser, click the ‘?’ help icon on the top banner of the page and select
    Email OneDrive support. Submit your question and follow the prompts to request support.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Mar 4, 2020
Thema:

How do I configure OneDrive to back up only those folders and files that I specify?

1. How do I configure OneDrive to back up only those folders and files that I specify? - Similar Threads - configure OneDrive those

2. How can I get File History to back up my onedrive folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I get File History to back up my onedrive folder?: How can I get File History to back up my onedrive folder? I have set the onedrive folder contents to be local, but File History shows the onedrive folder as empty....
  3. How can I get File History to back up my onedrive folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I get File History to back up my onedrive folder?: How can I get File History to back up my onedrive folder? I have set the onedrive folder contents to be local, but File History shows the onedrive folder as empty....
  4. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder: Goal: Create a backup of all of my Documents onto an external hard drive.I've had some problems with OneDrive missing or overwriting revisions of Word and Excel documents I work with on my laptop. I am the only one who works on these files. I do a lot of Ctrl-S and Save As as...
  5. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder: Goal: Create a backup of all of my Documents onto an external hard drive.I've had some problems with OneDrive missing or overwriting revisions of Word and Excel documents I work with on my laptop. I am the only one who works on these files. I do a lot of Ctrl-S and Save As as...
  6. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. How do I view backed up folders/files?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do I view backed up folders/files?: I'm struggling to prepare my desktop PC for an extensive overhaul. Having put this excercise off for a year, I'm finally taking the plunge and yesterday, I backed up my Windows 10 Pro 32-bit machine (version 1909) to NAS in preparation. The backups: First, I carried out an...
  8. All files including whole desktop folder is backed up by onedrive, how do I undo this?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All files including whole desktop folder is backed up by onedrive, how do I undo this?: Well, I'm posting for a friend. His brother or someone seemed to have backed up/synced ALL his files with onedrive. Every single file on his pc is now backed up/syned by it once again even the whole desktop and most files have an small red 'x' icon next to them. He would like...
  9. Backing up the OneDrive folder...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backing up the OneDrive folder...: Hello guys, I am trying to create a local backup for my OneDrive folder on my external hard drive. Here is the problem: My OneDrive folder is about 800 GB in size, but most of them are only placeholder files on my device online-only files for which a placeholder has been...
  10. How to configure OneDrive to back up user files from int HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to configure OneDrive to back up user files from int HDD: Hi all! I've done some research on Microsoft's OneDrive. It sounds like it could replace my Carbonite subscription. While I've got the OneDrive account set up ok, I can't get it configured quite right. I installed an internal 1TBHDD into my laptop that came with a...