Windows 10: How do I configure Windows to automatically turn Bluetooth off when in Modern Standby...

Discus and support How do I configure Windows to automatically turn Bluetooth off when in Modern Standby... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; ... and on when it wakes up again? To disable connecting to my mouse, headset, etc., while it's sleeping? I do not want to turn Bluetooth off and back... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by caresrg, Jan 28, 2021.

1. caresrg Win User

How do I configure Windows to automatically turn Bluetooth off when in Modern Standby...

... and on when it wakes up again? To disable connecting to my mouse, headset, etc., while it's sleeping? I do not want to turn Bluetooth off and back on manually, nor do I want to have to constantly disconnect devices manually as I am doing now.

:)

caresrg, Jan 28, 2021

2. Is there any OS function that let us check system is going to enter modern standby?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Windows 10 Modern Standby (Modern Standby) expands the Windows 8.1 Connected Standby power model. Connected Standby, and consequently Modern Standby, enable an instant on / instant off user experience, similar to smartphone power models. Just like
    the phone, the S0 low power idle model enables the system to stay up-to-date whenever a suitable network is available.

We would suggest you to refer these articles for additional information:

What is Modern Standby?

Prepare software for modern standby

Modern standby SleepStudy

However, as you are into software development. Let me point you in the right direction, where you would get the appropriate help for this issue. I would suggest you to post your query in
    MSDN forums, where we have experts and support professionals
    who are well equipped with the knowledge on Modern Standby to assist you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jan 28, 2021
  3. t0yz Win User
    Can't enable Modern Standby

You need an exclusively UEFI PC (without Legacy support) for Modern/Connected, at least it's what I've heard. I guess if that Z390 doesn't have it, I am not really expecting any consumer desktops to implement it, I assume it would require manufacturers to kinda rewrite their BIOS. It is also indirectly suggested on Anandtech that the feature depends on the onboard WiFi:

Personally I love my Ethernet cables and 1Gbit speeds, and WiFi would be the last thing I'd do to my PC, but I would like to test this feature when I buy a new PC, since Z370 is clearly out of question. Considering that Z390 basically has onboard WiFi and Z370 doesn't , it further solidifies this as a potential WiFi only feature. Maybe it's possible for the PC to switch to WiFi for Connected Standby and then back to wire after it wakes up? That would be nice.

Edit: there's also this:
    "Modern Standby is only available on some SoC systems. When it's supported, the system does not support S1-S3."

Yeah... S3 is the "normal" standby. So if your firmware manufacturer supports that, it's bye-bye Modern? Ouch.

4. hjoelr Win User

How do I configure Windows to automatically turn Bluetooth off when in Modern Standby...

Nvidia dGPU blocks modern standby on laptop

@gorgor, I finally had some time (and spare NVMe) to reinstall Windows 10 2004 on my XPS 9570. I installed Dell Command | Update application after installing Windows and used the option to reinstall all the drivers. After that I ran a regular check for updates in Dell Command | Update and it had about 6 more updates to install, at which point I did that.

In the mean time I found this article from Dell ( https://www.dell.com/support/article...havior?lang=en ) that outlines some settings to change and drivers to install in specific orders to improve the sleep. I did not install their Modern Standby Performance Improvement Package Application as they suggest since they say it only automates some of the instructions they give.

After all that, the first overnight sleep only used 7% battery with SW and HW in low power state 100% of the time!

How do I configure Windows to automatically turn Bluetooth off when in Modern Standby... [​IMG]

One thing to note, the dell site says to change to Disconnected Standby but doesn't tell you how. Here are the commands I ran for that (taken from Enable or Disable Network Connectivity in Standby In Windows 10 ):

Disable while in standby on battery: powercfg /setdcvalueindex scheme_current sub_none F15576E8-98B7-4186-B944-EAFA664402D9 0

Disable while in standby plugged in: powercfg /setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_none F15576E8-98B7-4186-B944-EAFA664402D9 0

I have not tried performing these steps on my previous install. I did a full re-install because Microsoft specifically states that you cannot switch from S0 to S3 sleep without reinstalling the OS. I figured you probably couldn't go the other way around either.

I'd be curious if the steps outlined on the Dell page solves your issues. I don't have my hopes too far up as I feel like I've had similar results before but it eventually stopped sleeping so well and I had no idea why.

hjoelr, Jan 28, 2021
Thema:

1. How do I configure Windows to automatically turn Bluetooth off when in Modern Standby... - Similar Threads - configure automatically turn

2. Laptop enters Modern Standby when screen turns off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop enters Modern Standby when screen turns off: I recently received my new Windows 11 laptop. I set the system to never go to sleep in the settings and in the power plan. However, when the screen turns off after screen time-out it also goes into Modern Standby. This causes my laptop fans to stop running causing the system...
  3. Laptop enters Modern Standby when screen turns off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop enters Modern Standby when screen turns off: I recently received my new Windows 11 laptop. I set the system to never go to sleep in the settings and in the power plan. However, when the screen turns off after screen time-out it also goes into Modern Standby. This causes my laptop fans to stop running causing the system...
  4. how do i enable modern standby

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i enable modern standby: Dear Microsoft Support,I am writing to inquire about enabling Modern Standby on my Windows device. I understand that Modern Standby offers benefits like faster wake times and background connectivity, but I am unsure how to activate it on my system.I have searched online for...
  5. how do i enable modern standby

how do i enable modern standby: Dear Microsoft Support,I am writing to inquire about enabling Modern Standby on my Windows device. I understand that Modern Standby offers benefits like faster wake times and background connectivity, but I am unsure how to activate it on my system.I have searched online for...
  6. BLUETOOTH TURNS OFF AUTOMATICALLY

BLUETOOTH TURNS OFF AUTOMATICALLY: Hi,I am using windows 10 on Toshiba satellite laptop. I was googling the issue of it and came across an answer to this query on this platform but the problem is I cannot find the POWER MANAGEMENT option when navigating through the Bluetooth radio properties. I want to check...
  7. Bluetooth automatically turns off.

Bluetooth automatically turns off.: My laptop's Bluetooth automatically gets turned off and doesn't show a turn on button in devices. Everytime I have to restart my laptop to turn it back on. Please help me to fix this problem....
  8. Bluetooth turning on itself after modern standby

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth turning on itself after modern standby: HiIm on a lenovo ideapad 5 pro 14 14ACN16 and when i put my laptop to sleep, after 10 minutes and the bluetooth turns on by itself. Updated recommended drivers and sfc /scannow but still not fixed. Reinstalled windows still did not work.What is causing it to turn on by...
  9. How do you disable "modern standby"??

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How do you disable "modern standby"??: My laptop keeps turning on in my backpack and cooking itself to death. I just took it out of my backpack two hours after putting it in and it's burning hot with the battery drained to around 20 percent. I know I can use hibernate instead but I shouldn't have to. Hibernate...
  10. How do I turn on Bluetooth If there's no Option to turn Bluetooth on/off?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I turn on Bluetooth If there's no Option to turn Bluetooth on/off?: I'm trying to connect to a device With bluetooth on And it keeps showing this: [ATTACH] Its telling me bluetooth is turned off and not giving me an option to turn it on. I tried the notification centre.[ATTACH] I tried to do it from device manager in control panel, but the...