Windows 10: How do I connect to an existing homegroup?

Discus and support How do I connect to an existing homegroup? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Moved from Windows 7 to a new Windows 10 laptop, but can't work out how to connect to our homegroup.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ben bennett2, Feb 15, 2020.

1. How do I connect to an existing homegroup?

Moved from Windows 7 to a new Windows 10 laptop, but can't work out how to connect to our homegroup.

:)

ben bennett2, Feb 15, 2020

2. Homegroup connectivity problem

We appreciate your detailed response. Damaged system components is one of the possible reasons why you are experiencing issues with saving files from your laptop to your desktop using the HomeGroup. For initial troubleshooting, we suggest running the automated
    troubleshooter for HomeGroup issues.

To run the HomeGroup troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key + X and then choose Control Panel.
    • Click on Network and Internet.
    • Select HomeGroup and then click Start the HomeGroup troubleshooter.
    • Click the Next button and then click on Skip this step.
    • Wait for the troubleshooter to finish the process.
    • Restart the computer after running the troubleshooter.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Update us about the results.

Darleen Pen, Feb 15, 2020
  3. how to create new homegroup, if an old homegroup exists

Hi Seth,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to refer the below steps and check if it helps you in resolving the issue respective to Home group.

How to Create a Homegroup in Windows 10

Before going through the steps, make sure that your system is connected to a network. You can connect to a wired or wireless network but ensure that your system is connected to either your home or office router.

Note: Shut down all systems connected on the network. Power on one system, setup a Homegroup as already illustrated, then change the password on that one system before starting any
    more systems. You can then implement that password to each new one as you join the Home group.

• Press Start and type Control panel and Open Control Panel.
    • Select Network and Sharing center option.

• Click on the HomeGroup link.

• You will be directed to the
      HomeGroup
      window.

• Hit the Create a homegroup button.
    • Create a Homegroup wizard will appear on the screen.
    • Further, You see the list of files and devices that you would like to share within the homegroup.
    • On the drop down menu beside every item set the level of permission of each item.
    • Click Next once you are done.
    • You will be taken to the next step where you can see an auto-generated password.
    • The computers that will be added to the homegroup will need this password.
    • If you don’t like the password, there is nothing to worry. You can change it later on. But for the time being just note down the generated password.
    • Tap the Finish button.
    How to Check HomeGroup has been Created on Windows 10

• Go to the HomeGroup
      window.

• You can see the list of
      libraries and devices
      that the system is sharing in the homegroup.

• There are many options available for you to do any changing.

• For instance, you can change the password by selecting the
      Change Password link.
    With a view of sharing data with other computers in homegroup, you need to ensure whether the
    network discovery is turned on. If it is not you will face problems while sharing the data.

How to turn on Network Discovery on Windows 10

• Press (hit) on the Change Advanced Sharing Settings link when you are into the
      HomeGroup window.

• Navigate to the Private (current profile) section.

• Select the option which says to
      Turn on network discovery.

• Then select the option of
      Turn on file and printer sharing
      so that you can be able to share files and printers within the homegroup.

• Windows will administer your homegroup connection by default. But, by the way, if you want to put some extra security then create a user account and password for any machines that are connected to your homegroup.

• So to do this, select the
      Use
      user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers
      option.
    Hope this information is helpful. Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Feb 15, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

How do I connect to an existing homegroup?

Cant Join HomeGroup that exists on my existing system

Hi,

I understand you concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the method below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Internet connection. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is
    with your internet.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Home Group troubleshooter.
    And also refer the link below and check if it helps.

Join a workgroup, or home group

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/join-domain-workgroup-homegroup

Home Group from start to finish

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/...-finish=windows-81&v1h=win81tab2&v2h=win7tab1

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Feb 15, 2020
Thema:

How do I connect to an existing homegroup?

1. How do I connect to an existing homegroup? - Similar Threads - connect existing homegroup

2. How do I fully disable Workgroups (Not Homegroups)

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I fully disable Workgroups (Not Homegroups): Hi, I would like to know how to disable Workgroups as much as possible as I find them annoying and I do not need the feature at all. I have already searched the internet for answers but I only find ways to disable Homegroups which I want to disable Workgroups and not...
  3. Windows 10: How to join an existing Windows 7 Homegroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10: How to join an existing Windows 7 Homegroup: I'm sure this has come up dozens of times but every time I search for an answer, the advice simply says "just use the Homegroup utility" that came with Windows 10. That's all well and good but now that Microsoft has seen fit to delete the Homegroup wizard/utility in the...
  4. Homegroup does not exist

Homegroup does not exist: Homegroup does not exist in my laptop although I have win7 and there i can access but when i install win10 i can even find it i searched in Search box in Start I searched in control panal I searched in Setting but Nothing...
  5. can't connect to the homegroup

can't connect to the homegroup: Hello! At home we have 4 PCs, I used to share file using homegroups without any issues. just three days ago, I had to reinstall the windows on an HP Mini, and after that it couldn't connect to the homegroup, instead it says Create a homegroup. I have tried: -to clean the...
  6. How do I delete a Homegroup from the network

How do I delete a Homegroup from the network: OK, just upgraded to Windows 10 and I am unable to create a new Homegroup because one that I created a long time ago is still showing up. I do not remember the password to join it and that user has been formatted a long time ago. I cannot find anything online that can get rid...
  7. How do I Create and connect to a homegroup from a diff location

How do I Create and connect to a homegroup from a diff location: Me and my friend want to create a home gorup or network share im not sure how i would do it but i know it is possible when we had win 7 we had a homegroup/network share and i think when we both updated to win 10 we could still connect but thne we both had to reset our pc to...
  8. Do I need a HomeGroup

Do I need a HomeGroup: Early on I created a HomeGroup for these two machines. Never used it for anything. We both operate fine on the network as is. Since the FCUpdate, the HomeGroup disappeared. Doing some research I've cleaned up behind it's removal. My question is: Is there any advantage to...
  9. Cannot create a new homegroup due to a no longer existing homegroup

Cannot create a new homegroup due to a no longer existing homegroup: Hi there! I've just upgraded my husband PC from Windows 7 to 10. Everything went well except that I can no longer connect to the network. After some attempt, I chose to delete all homegroup to create a new one. All right on my husband's computer (leave the homegroup),...
  10. Windows finds homegroup that doesn't exist.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows finds homegroup that doesn't exist.: I have multiple PCs in my house, one that I use myself, and one that is used by the others. Now I need to transfer about 80GB from one PC to the other, and I decided to try the homegroup thingy. Now I never set it up, not on my PC, nor on theirs, but since my bro is still...