Windows 10: How do I connect to Samba share on Linux box as specific user?

Discus and support How do I connect to Samba share on Linux box as specific user? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have OpenMediaVault running on an Odroid HC1 with stock Armbian OS. When I store a file on the SMB share on it, it gets the permissions of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ColliJim, Dec 22, 2018.

1. ColliJim Win User

How do I connect to Samba share on Linux box as specific user?

I have OpenMediaVault running on an Odroid HC1 with stock Armbian OS.
    When I store a file on the SMB share on it, it gets the permissions of the default user.
    How do I connect as me? I have the same username and password on both machines.

:)

ColliJim, Dec 22, 2018

2. Windows 10 Pro no longer connects to Samba Share on Linux Workstation

Hello Simon,

To better assist you, kindly provide the following information:

• What version of Samba Share are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have your done so far?
    We look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Kenneth Mon, Dec 22, 2018
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Linux Samba settings to display Windows shares

Hi folks

Samba needs a different setting to display Windows or any of the SAMBA shares - especially if its version of Linux / NAS server needs / uses SMB1

You still need to set the SMB1 option in Add features to windows of course.

also in the samba config file ensure this line is in the global section

[global]
    max protocol = NT1 <===+++++++++++++++++

(Not client max protocol !!)

what this actually does (apart from working !!! ) I have no idea but it fixed 4 Linux machines which suddenly stopped listing Samba shares under network. I saw the suggestion on some weird website - have no idea of the link though - must have been imbibing some of those nice malted fluids kari likes. !!!

Works also with ubuntu guests as well as Hosts and Centos guests and hosts. haven't messed around with other Linux distros as I don't really use them.

How do I connect to Samba share on Linux box as specific user? [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 22, 2018
  4. How do I connect to Samba share on Linux box as specific user?

Windows 10 Pro no longer connects to Samba Share on Linux Workstation

Hi

Up until the latest Windows update I was able to access a Samba share on my Linux workstation. Today it asks for a user's name and password but that was not required in the past. I have not set a user name and password on the share and even when I do, Windows
    says the user or password are incorrect.

How do I fix this issue? I sure wish MS would stop breaking things with updates!

Thanks

Simon

dCipherComputing, Dec 22, 2018
Thema:

How do I connect to Samba share on Linux box as specific user?

1. How do I connect to Samba share on Linux box as specific user? - Similar Threads - connect Samba share

2. How to share folder to specific user on specific PC on the network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to share folder to specific user on specific PC on the network: Hello, I have 3 PCs running Windows 10 (Home) and one of them is sharing a folder to the others. I shared the folder using Right click on the folder > Properties > Sharing > Advanced Sharing > Share this folder > Permissions > Everyone > Change (Or Full Access, depends what I...
  3. Connecting to a Samba Share

Connecting to a Samba Share: I am trying to connect to a samba share. There are two users on the machine. user1 was able to access the share drive and map the share on the machine. user2 was able to access the folders. the next day user1 could not access the drives that were mapped nor could they...
  4. Suddenly can't connect to Samba home share on Linux NAS server although media share still works

Suddenly can't connect to Samba home share on Linux NAS server although media share still works: I have several shared directories on a Samba NAS server mapped on a couple windows 10 server. Yesterday after the latest Windows 10 upgrade I could no longer access my personal home share. I received a popup requesting my credentials password prompt. I entered the password...
  5. BUG Samba 4.11 so wont see shares NAS / LINUX users

BUG Samba 4.11 so wont see shares NAS / LINUX users: Hi folks There's a / several bug(s) reported (and I can concur) with current release of Samba (4.11.x) This will also affect Windows users if they want to access NAS or Linux servers using SAMBA where SAMBA has been upgraded to Version 4.11.x. where x is 1,2,3 etc. Version...
  6. Samba 4 and NAS / Windows shares on W10 and Linux servers / clients

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Samba 4 and NAS / Windows shares on W10 and Linux servers / clients: Hi folks there's a lot of confusion about how to set SAMBA up if you have any sort of Linux type system in the mix whether host , running as a NAS or in VM and Windows 10 mix. the best way is to do the following 1) Enable SMB1 on W10 -- while it might not be recommended...
  7. Linux Samba settings to display Windows shares

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Linux Samba settings to display Windows shares: Hi folks Samba needs a different setting to display Windows or any of the SAMBA shares - especially if its version of Linux / NAS server needs / uses SMB1 You still need to set the SMB1 option in Add features to windows of course. also in the samba config file ensure this...
  8. Cannot connect to SAMBA shares on CENTOS7

Cannot connect to SAMBA shares on CENTOS7: Hello everyone, I'm having this very annoying issue with samba shares. The server is running on a CentOS 7 distro with samba-4.1.12-23.el7_1.x86_64. My Windows 10 build is 10240. The shares are visible but when I try to connect it waits a while and then gives me this...
  9. Writes to Linux Samba Shares are exceedingly slow

Writes to Linux Samba Shares are exceedingly slow: I have a Linux server with file shares on my local network. My problem is with writing data to those shares from my Windows 10 Home PC. The problem manifests with data writes that are exceedingly slow (not greater than 300 kB/sec) and generally time out before they complete....
  10. Win10ProN cannot connect to samba network share

Win10ProN cannot connect to samba network share: Hey folks, I've got an issue that's been bugging me since windows 7. I've got a debian server on my network running samba and plex. I usually add media to it through samba from my windows computers. Only now with my laptop, I'm having a strange issue. Every time I try to...