Windows 10: How do i connect to wifi without ethernet?

Discus and support How do i connect to wifi without ethernet? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I just got a new PC and i can’t connect to the wifi. It just gives me ethernet but i don’t have it nor do i know what it is. I’ve tried restarting my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/asmahs, Apr 28, 2020.

1. /u/asmahs Win User

How do i connect to wifi without ethernet?

I just got a new PC and i can’t connect to the wifi. It just gives me ethernet but i don’t have it nor do i know what it is. I’ve tried restarting my network settings but to no avail. The only network connection option it’s giving me is ethernet. how can i solve this?

submitted by /u/asmahs
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/asmahs, Apr 28, 2020
  2. srdavis Win User

Make Windows 10 connect/disconnect to WiFi based on Ethernet connection status

Steps:

1. Go to Control Panel\ All Control Panel Items\ Network and Sharing Center > click on 'Change adapter settings' then use the 'alt button' to show menus and select Advanced Settings...
    2. Under Connections section, select Ethernet, and use the arrows to the right to move Ethernet above WiFi.
    3. Click OK.

Windows will now prefer the Ethernet over the WiFi for connecting to the internet. This should apply for Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.

srdavis, Apr 28, 2020
  3. Windows 10 No Longer Connects to Ethernet and WiFi

This week brought Win10 ver 1903 and I can no longer get WiFi to connect if the ethernet cable is plugged in. If I boot with ethernet, manually trying to connect WiFi silently fails. If I boot without ethernet, WiFi is automatically connected yet drops
    if I plug in the ethernet cable. Both the WiFi and the ethernet work fine by themselves, just not at the same time so I don't think it is a driver problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

PrestonClark4, Apr 28, 2020
  4. How do i connect to wifi without ethernet?

OpenVPN connection causes Wifi/ethernet to drop

The problem appears to be the TAP (interpreted by my computer as an ethernet connection) stealing the connection away from my Wifi or ethernet internet connection. Then my wifi/ethernet keep reconnecting/disconnecting, but never establishing an internet
    connection more than a few seconds.

The real problem is that I have no idea how to override this change in priority to maintain my Wifi connection after connecting to VPN.

Suggestions would be much appreciated!

I have a Lenovo Y580, running Windows 10.

RobertPatrickRoss, Apr 28, 2020
Thema:

How do i connect to wifi without ethernet?

1. How do i connect to wifi without ethernet? - Similar Threads - connect wifi without

2. How do I update my drivers without wifi or ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I update my drivers without wifi or ethernet: So, I just recovered the laptop Precision 3580 Dell and so on the setup process I couldn't connect to Wi-Fi, so I bypassed it. When I got into the computer, I can't connect to Wi-Fi or ethernet or Bluetooth....
  3. How do I update my drivers without wifi or ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I update my drivers without wifi or ethernet: So, I just recovered the laptop Precision 3580 Dell and so on the setup process I couldn't connect to Wi-Fi, so I bypassed it. When I got into the computer, I can't connect to Wi-Fi or ethernet or Bluetooth....
  4. How do I update my drivers without wifi or ethernet

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How do I connect to the internet via bio without Ethernet port?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I connect to the internet via bio without Ethernet port?: How do I connect to the internet via bios? I have a Dell laptop Inspiron 7306 2n1 & had accidentally deleted my windows operating system. I’ve gotten a usb drive & just need it to connect to the internet to hopefully repair the corrupt OS image but i can’t seem to connect to...
  6. How do I connect to the internet via bio without Ethernet port?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I connect to the internet via bio without Ethernet port?: How do I connect to the internet via bios? I have a Dell laptop Inspiron 7306 2n1 & had accidentally deleted my windows operating system. I’ve gotten a usb drive & just need it to connect to the internet to hopefully repair the corrupt OS image but i can’t seem to connect to...
  7. How ethernet-only connection connects to WiFi?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How ethernet-only connection connects to WiFi?: My work computer PC does not allow for wifi connection and only allows ethernet connection. This is fine when I'm at home. While traveling, what device can I use to connect to a hotel's wifi, while using my ethernet cable, but without being able to download drivers into my...
  8. How ethernet-only connection connects to WiFi?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How ethernet-only connection connects to WiFi?: My work computer PC does not allow for wifi connection and only allows ethernet connection. This is fine when I'm at home. While traveling, what device can I use to connect to a hotel's wifi, while using my ethernet cable, but without being able to download drivers into my...
  9. Unable to connect to wifi without a ethernet cable

Unable to connect to wifi without a ethernet cable: Hi, I am currently using a lenovo ideapad 320s. Recently, after updating to windows 21H1, my wifi keeps disconnecting at random times. When this happens, the wifi options will disappear. This has been getting worst recently, and now my wifi does not work at all. The intel...
  10. Wifi not connecting without Ethernet cable

Wifi not connecting without Ethernet cable: Basically what happened before: After updating to Windows 10, my computer was not showing any network options. (The icon says "Not connected - No connections are available) Going into Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network Connections, it then says "Local Area Connection...