Windows 10: How do I connect two 2 Desktop Windows 10 PCs to form a local Private Network?

Discus and support How do I connect two 2 Desktop Windows 10 PCs to form a local Private Network? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am not very IT savvy and I will need step-by-step instructions for networking two 2 desktop PCs,When I check the Network and Internet Status of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MitchellXP, Jun 16, 2021.

1. How do I connect two 2 Desktop Windows 10 PCs to form a local Private Network?

I am not very IT savvy and I will need step-by-step instructions for networking two 2 desktop PCs,When I check the Network and Internet Status of the first PC, it indicates that it has a "Private Network 2". When I check the Network and Internet Status of the second PC, it indicates that it has a "Private Network 3". I think that they are both connected to a Private Network, but not the same network.

:)

MitchellXP, Jun 16, 2021

2. Error: "Can create home group in private network only" - the wireless network is private though

Hi Ron,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about connecting to HomeGroup network with error: Can create home group in private network only, we will help you with this issue.

I would like to inform that this issue might have occurred due to settings in the Network type on Windows 10.

Step 1: I suggest you to check with the network type on Windows 10, try the below:

Right click on the Network icon in the System tray
    and click on Open Network and Sharing Center.

Here you will see the network you are connected to and what type of network Windows 10 has identified it as. (Private/ Public).

Step 2: Also, I suggest you to change the network type to Private if it is not and check if it helps.

• Log-in as an Administrator, on the desktop, click on the Network system icon in the taskbar notification area.
    • Right click on your network connection and click on
      Turn sharing on or off
    • Click on Yes, turn on sharing and connect to devices.

• Accept the UAC (User Account Control) prompt and check if it helps.

For reference: HomeGroup problems in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 16, 2021
  3. Bree Win User
    Choosing NTFS permissions for shared drives on a local private network

That is correct. The desktop has no way of knowing the accounts on another PC. When you connect from the laptop to the desktop by default the laptop will pass on to the desktop the name and password of the account you are signed in to on the laptop. If this matches a local account on the desktop you will connect, and have the permissions associated with that local desktop account.

One way to achieve your aims is to create a local account on the desktop with the same name and password as you laptop account. You can then assign permissions to that local desktop account which will apply when you connect from the account of the same name on the laptop.

Another way is to connect to the desktop using different credentials, then provide a name and password that does exist on the desktop. Here's how you do that when mapping a drive. Tick the box to 'Connect using different credentials'....

How do I connect two 2 Desktop Windows 10 PCs to form a local Private Network? [​IMG]

...then provide a name/password for one of the desktop accounts.

How do I connect two 2 Desktop Windows 10 PCs to form a local Private Network? [​IMG]

Personally, I use the same name and password for my accounts on each of my machines, so I don't need to use different credentials to connect.

4. How do I connect two 2 Desktop Windows 10 PCs to form a local Private Network?

PC Networking/Sharing on Private Network

We have latest Windows 10 on 3 PC's in our home. They are all connected to the same wifi secure connection. I've configured all 3 for sharing over a private network but have not been able to access the other PC's. I can see one of the computers but
    it is saying that I don't have permissions to access, to contact my administrator (that's actually me and I'm listed as administrator). This networking worked well with homegroup in earlier versions but since Windows 10 update I have no longer been able to
    network and open files on other PC's. I would think this would be much easier in Windows 10. Does anyone have any suggestions to make this work? Thanks in advance.

ToddStaple, Jun 16, 2021
Thema:

How do I connect two 2 Desktop Windows 10 PCs to form a local Private Network?

1. How do I connect two 2 Desktop Windows 10 PCs to form a local Private Network? - Similar Threads - connect Desktop PCs

2. Unable to connect to computer on local home, private network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to connect to computer on local home, private network: Computer 1 and Computer 2 are on the same Workgroup. There are No Windows Credentials on either Computer 1 or Computer 2. I am not getting the Enter Network Credentials windows anymore on either computer on trying to access the other computer from one computer. I have made...
  3. 2 networks 2 PCs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    2 networks 2 PCs: Hii. I have 2 networks in my work place one is for PCs and the other for Machine , this one for machines has an IP cam connected to it now i need to access this cam from PCs on the first network , you have to know that the second pc for machine is connected to the first...
  4. Create Private Home Network between my two 2 Windows 10 Desktops.

Create Private Home Network between my two 2 Windows 10 Desktops.: I need a detailed set of instructions concerning, creating a private Network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-private-home-network-between-my-two-2/e76a95ae-537b-4b74-97fd-b24aaa212164
  5. connect two windows 10 pcs

connect two windows 10 pcs: I have two W10 laptops; one works fine, while the other machine's cursor will not respond to either the keyboard or the touchpad. The machines are connected via USB cable. I want to connect the machine so that I can use the working computer to access a USB drive on the other...
  6. Trying to connect two Win 10 pcs on local network

Trying to connect two Win 10 pcs on local network: After some searching on the net I have my old PC able to access my new PC. However I cannot access my old PC from my new PC. Any suggestions will be welcome...
  7. Networking two (2) Windows 10 desktop computer

Networking two (2) Windows 10 desktop computer: Hello I have two(2) Windows 10 desktop PC's and I want to network them so that almost everything is sheared, Both computers a connected to a common modem/router and are located approximately 8ft apart. As you probably know, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to...
  8. connecting laptop and desktop private network

connecting laptop and desktop private network: Have an old win 7 laptop and a new win 10 desktop and laptop. The new desktop can see all. The new laptop cannot see the desktop but can see the win 7 laptop. Tried all the normal settings, private network, discover, adapter, manage network, trouble shooter, and firewall...
  9. Networked laptop not discoverable by 2 desktop PCs on network

Networked laptop not discoverable by 2 desktop PCs on network: All computers set for full network sharing. Laptop has access to internet through network and network printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/networked-laptop-not-discoverable-by-2-desktop-pcs/5f811814-77a9-4028-842d-e8bc6069e86b
  10. Connecting 2 PCs on a Wi-Fi Network

Connecting 2 PCs on a Wi-Fi Network: How can I transfer files from one PC to another using Wi-Fi network? Both PCs are on the same network, yet they do not recognize each other. I am using D-Link wireless router DIR-885L. What shall I do so that I see and use the files from one PC on another PC through the File...