Windows 10: How do i convert a Win 10 Pro Pysical machine to a vmware vm.

Discus and support How do i convert a Win 10 Pro Pysical machine to a vmware vm. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I want to do this while using system resources. The vm will be hosted on the same hardware. I will be using VMware's free vSphere hypervisor on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ArmySithLord, Jan 4, 2019.

1. How do i convert a Win 10 Pro Pysical machine to a vmware vm.

I want to do this while using system resources.

The vm will be hosted on the same hardware. I will be using VMware's free vSphere hypervisor on the bare metal that the win 10 machine is currently on.

I have attempted to use the VMware stand alone converter but it fails.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

:)

ArmySithLord, Jan 4, 2019
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V

Hi folks

am testing this little thing I saw on the Internet about converting a VM created with VMware to HYPER-V

For anybody trying this too -- do back up your existing VM if you think you'll need it or if the conversion process fails,

How to Convert Vmware Virtual Machine to HYPER-V | Askme4Tech

I'll mark this post as solved after I've tried it.

You could also use the free starwind V2V converter -- GUI based for people who don't like command line -- choose ist vmdk file and let it do it's business.

Note although free you have to fill in a registration and they will send you a link -- seems OK company so you might be happier with that.

Microsofts own converter rather stupidly requires you to have Esxi or Vsphere - stupid really as individuals won't have these usually.

If converting a Windows VM uninstall VMware tools first.

I'm satisfied now for CENTOS VM on HYPER-V is stable enough -- I don't need sound on the VM or even a Linux GUI but while testing it's easier to mess around with a GUI on the VM.

Quite satisfied with performance of the VM on HYPER-V and by installing XRDP on the VM there's no problem accessing it on "Non hosted" machines on my LAN via RDP.

The starwind takes a bit of time - have breakfast or take the walk for a dog etc etc.

cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 4, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V

VirtualBox has a tool that can convert VDMK files to VHD. You don't have to install full VirtualBox, only the part that contains the tool:

How do i convert a Win 10 Pro Pysical machine to a vmware vm. [​IMG]

See this tutorial on our sister site Seven Forums: Windows 10 - Test Try with No Risk, No Install - Windows 7 Help Forums

Part One Step 2 tells what to download, Part Three how to use the tool to convert VDMK to VHD.

Kari, Jan 4, 2019
  4. How do i convert a Win 10 Pro Pysical machine to a vmware vm.

Physical Machine Restore Image (Win 8.1) to New VM (on Win 10)

Hello everyone,

I made a Windows Image Backup of Windows 8.1 Pro on 7/29/15 before doing a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. Win 10 is up and running. I got Hyper-V running. i want to now have my old working everything installed version of Windows 8.1 pro running in a VM
    on the Win 10 machine.

I cannot seem to restore the backup image.

I have gotten close and it has taken forever to get there.

I tried installing a new Win 8.1 Pro VM and then restoring the image: Failed.

I tried an empty new VM with an empty drive, boot to 8.1 pro iso and then recover: Failed.

I get this a long error that ends with (0x80042412).

any suggestions?

Thanks.

Patrick Brewer

Edit #1: 7/31/15: No replies yet, I guess I am the only one.

Patrick A. Brewer, Jan 4, 2019
  5. luke2312 New Member
    luke2312, Jan 22, 2019
Thema:

How do i convert a Win 10 Pro Pysical machine to a vmware vm.

1. How do i convert a Win 10 Pro Pysical machine to a vmware vm. - Similar Threads - convert Pro Pysical

2. Convert VMWare / Vbox VM's to KVM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Convert VMWare / Vbox VM's to KVM: Hi folks If you want to convert VMWare VM's or VBOX ones to KVM it's a fairly straight forward but longish process. depending on the size of the original VM's. The Virtual disk though must be in a single vdmk image so if you have several vdmk files (most people do not...
  3. WIN XP (32 bit) VM's convert from VMWare - I'm VMWare free now

WIN XP (32 bit) VM's convert from VMWare - I'm VMWare free now: Hi there For some people there's still a need to run XP systems - even as VM's. To run XP VM's on the latest hardware and Linux kernels (KVM) - forget about converting from VMWare / VBOX if you have those Install again from new --- use Windows XP Pro with SP3 or later ....
  4. creating a VM win7, on win 10 pro i3 gen 9 machine

creating a VM win7, on win 10 pro i3 gen 9 machine: hello all, forgive me if i'm asking something that's addressed elsewhere... new member, longtime reader of your forums... i have questions regarding creating a VM win7, on win 10 pro i3 gen 9 machine...i'm getting conflicting answers. yes gen 9 will support 7 pro 64 as vm...
  5. Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors

Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors: Hi Virtual Machine user Geeks !!! You can convert Windows VMWare VM's to run on KVM or XEN --- these are 2 of the Linux HYPERVISORS equivalent to HYPER-V on Windows. For XEN (although KVM these days is the preferred method) : If you are using a Linux Host and have Windows...
  6. Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V

Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V: Hi folks am testing this little thing I saw on the Internet about converting a VM created with VMware to HYPER-V For anybody trying this too -- do back up your existing VM if you think you'll need it or if the conversion process fails, How to Convert Vmware Virtual...
  7. Free Conversion tool from RUNNING machine to vmware VM

Free Conversion tool from RUNNING machine to vmware VM: Hi there Just in case some people might want to create VM's from their physical running machines this FREE tool from the main VMware Enterprise stuff can be used on Stand alone machines. Works fine as well --I've used it to create several VM's from running physical...
  8. Converting Local Machine to use in VM ware

Converting Local Machine to use in VM ware: Hello Guys and Gals, I would would like to Convert my Local Machine to a use in VMware, ( I did a test run on a laptop of mine which was successful. ) I would like to do the same thing on my Local machine, i have VMware running on my local machine ( with several OS on it...
  9. Create W10 VM of your RUNNING machine (VMWARE)

Create W10 VM of your RUNNING machine (VMWARE): Hi there An easy way of creating a W10 VM (or any other OS) of your RUNNING machine is simply to start up the VMWARE CONVERTER. You need to be in administrator mode. Configure the target machine, - unclick DATA drives if you just want to start with creating the system....
  10. How do i convert a Win 8 driver to Win 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do i convert a Win 8 driver to Win 10?: So the manufacturer for this driver sadly will not support it anymore. However, I heard there was a way to edit the INF file to make it compatible with a different OS. Is this possible between Win 8 and Win 10? I know there was a way to edit drivers to make them work on...