Windows 10: how do i copy a file from host to hyperv vm

Discus and support how do i copy a file from host to hyperv vm in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Where am I going wrong. I am on windows10 pro; have enabled guest services and tried this command top copy to the hyperv vm: Copy-VMFile "raspi"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by rainbow3, Apr 28, 2021.

1. rainbow3 Win User

how do i copy a file from host to hyperv vm

Where am I going wrong. I am on windows10 pro; have enabled guest services and tried this command top copy to the hyperv vm:

Copy-VMFile "raspi" -SourcePath "D:\temp.txt" -DestinationPath "/home/pi" -CreateFullPath -FileSource host

Copy-VMFile : Failed to initiate copying files to the guest.
    Failed to copy the source file 'D:\temp.txt' to the destination '/home/pi' in the guest.
    'raspi' failed to initiate copying files to the guest: Unspecified error (0x80004005). (Virtual machine ID 3C028648-F65B-4565-ADCA-40F1290FB0BE)
    'raspi' failed to copy the source file 'D:\temp.txt' to the destination '/home/pi' in the guest: Unspecified error (0x80004005). (Virtual machine ID 3C028648-F65B-4565-ADCA-40F1290FB0BE)
    At line:1 char:1
    + Copy-VMFile "raspi" -SourcePath "D:\temp.txt" -DestinationPath "/home ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: how do i copy a file from host to hyperv vm :)) [Copy-VMFile], VirtualizationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : OperationFailed,Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.Commands.CopyVMFile
    ####################################################

:)

rainbow3, Apr 28, 2021
  2. Bree Win User

Welcome to Ten Forums.

You haven't said what the guest OS is, but from your destination path it would appear to be some form of Linux. Depending on which one it may, or may not, have the required Linux Integration Services. This may help, if not for Copy-VMFile itself, then it suggests alternative ways to transfer a file. Method 4, a transfer vhdx, should work whatever the guest OS is.

altaro.com | 4 Ways to Transfer Files to a Linux Hyper-V Guest

My guest VMs are all various versions of MS Windows, Copy-VMFile works for them.

3. RajivIyer Win User
    Cannot open a default share C$ from a HyperV VM to host machine.

Hi,

I am unable open a default share C$ from a HyperV VM to host machine.

I have a Windows 10 Host machine (PC-A) running HyperV and a VM running Windows Server 2019 on top of it (PC-B).

PC-A configuration: Windows Firewall enabled by default. Enabled File and Print Sharing via "allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall"

PC-B (VM) configuration: Windows Firewall enabled by default. Enabled File and Print Sharing via "allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall"

I am able to PING both ways. From PC-A to PC-B (VM), I am able to open the default share (C$/D$) using windows authentication.

From PC-B (VM) to PC-A I am able to ping but I am not able to open the default share (C$/D$) using windows authentication. I get Access Denied error message.

I even tried to turn off the firewall on PC-A, but it does not work.

Please help!

RajivIyer, Apr 28, 2021
  4. rainbow3 Win User

Where am I going wrong. I am on windows10 pro; have enabled guest services and tried this command top copy to the hyperv vm:

Copy-VMFile "raspi" -SourcePath "D:\temp.txt" -DestinationPath "/home/pi" -CreateFullPath -FileSource host

Copy-VMFile : Failed to initiate copying files to the guest.
    Failed to copy the source file 'D:\temp.txt' to the destination '/home/pi' in the guest.
    'raspi' failed to initiate copying files to the guest: Unspecified error (0x80004005). (Virtual machine ID 3C028648-F65B-4565-ADCA-40F1290FB0BE)
    'raspi' failed to copy the source file 'D:\temp.txt' to the destination '/home/pi' in the guest: Unspecified error (0x80004005). (Virtual machine ID 3C028648-F65B-4565-ADCA-40F1290FB0BE)
    At line:1 char:1
    + Copy-VMFile "raspi" -SourcePath "D:\temp.txt" -DestinationPath "/home ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: how do i copy a file from host to hyperv vm :)) [Copy-VMFile], VirtualizationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : OperationFailed,Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.Commands.CopyVMFile
    ####################################################

rainbow3, Apr 28, 2021
Thema:

1. how do i copy a file from host to hyperv vm - Similar Threads - copy file host

2. HyperV host randomly rebooting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HyperV host randomly rebooting: Our main Hypervisor servers are rebooting randomly.It is NOT a power loss, or hardware issue.Has anybody run into this ?event 14100 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyperv-host-randomly-rebooting/beabcc7c-1db7-48e9-9387-78b3920834ef
  3. HyperV host randomly rebooting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HyperV host randomly rebooting: Our main Hypervisor servers are rebooting randomly.It is NOT a power loss, or hardware issue.Has anybody run into this ?event 14100 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyperv-host-randomly-rebooting/beabcc7c-1db7-48e9-9387-78b3920834ef
  4. Failover Cluster VM did not migrated to another HyperV cluster host server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failover Cluster VM did not migrated to another HyperV cluster host server: Hi All,I am having issues a few times that one of the failover Cluster HyperV host server01 got one physical network port disconnected don't know how as the switch was showing connecting and up and all VMs on that Host server got down. we have four network ports teaming...
  5. Failover Cluster VM did not migrated to another HyperV cluster host server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failover Cluster VM did not migrated to another HyperV cluster host server: Hi All,I am having issues a few times that one of the failover Cluster HyperV host server01 got one physical network port disconnected don't know how as the switch was showing connecting and up and all VMs on that Host server got down. we have four network ports teaming...
  6. Cannot open a default share C$ from a HyperV VM to host machine

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open a default share C$ from a HyperV VM to host machine: Hi, I am unable open a default share C$ from a HyperV VM to host machine. I have a Windows 10 Host machine PC-A running HyperV and a VM running Windows 10 on top of it PC-B. PC-A configuration: Windows Firewall enabled by default. Enabled File and Print Sharing via...
  7. Cannot open a default share C$ from a HyperV VM to host machine.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open a default share C$ from a HyperV VM to host machine.: Hi, I am unable open a default share C$ from a HyperV VM to host machine. I have a Windows 10 Host machine PC-A running HyperV and a VM running Windows Server 2019 on top of it PC-B. PC-A configuration: Windows Firewall enabled by default. Enabled File and Print Sharing...
  8. How do I copy files from the WindowsApps folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I copy files from the WindowsApps folder?: Whenever I try to copy Minecraft: Dungeons, it gives: "You need permission from your computer's administrator to perform this action." When I try to change it to read and write, it says "Access is denied." I already set my user and group (Administrators) to full control, and...
  9. issue with connecting to a newly created hyperv VM

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    issue with connecting to a newly created hyperv VM: submitted by /u/tyanu_khah [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/flbbf4/issue_with_connecting_to_a_newly_created_hyperv_vm/
  10. VMware how to delete disks from HOST (not the VM)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMware how to delete disks from HOST (not the VM): Hi folks there's plenty of info about removing a Virtual disk from a VMware VM but this just removes the virtual HDD from the VM but doesn't actually delete it from your Host disk. What you have to do is go into the VM file itself for the VM and once you've ascertained which...