Windows 10: How do I copy files with the same name and keep both

Discus and support How do I copy files with the same name and keep both in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to copy photos off my iPhone into my folders on my laptop and per Apple's ridiculous system, some of the photos have the same name. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ndodd, Jul 21, 2016.

1. ndodd Win User

How do I copy files with the same name and keep both

I'm trying to copy photos off my iPhone into my folders on my laptop and per Apple's ridiculous system, some of the photos have the same name. When I try to copy them, Windows 10 only gives me two options for files with the same name: replace or do not copy. In older versions of Windows, there was also an option to keep both files and simply rename one of them. How can I get that option back?? I desperately do not want to have to go through each file individually and rename...

:)

ndodd, Jul 21, 2016

2. copy files with the same name in Windows 10 Pro

I suggest you use the Feedback Hub to submit a bug report detailing your problem.

Press Windows key + F

This will open the Feedback hub

Proceed to submit your report.

You can reach out to key folks on the Windows Engineering team through Twitter

Dona @ #MSBuild (@donasarkar) | Twitter

Brandon LeBlanc (@brandonleblanc) | Twitter

Jen Gentleman (@JenMsft) | Twitter

Jason (@NorthFaceHiker) | Twitter

Andre Da Costa, Jul 21, 2016
  3. copy files with the same name in Windows 10 Pro

Multiple times a day I have to copy many files to a folder that has the same filename as the one I'm copying (earlier version of same file).

The "new" Windows 10 way adds MANY keystrokes or mouse clicks MULTIPLE times a day to the point that it affects productivity.

PLEASE add an option to automatically copy files with the same name (by adding a "(1), (2), (3)", etc. to the filename) the way it was in Windows 7 and prior. I understand improvements, and in some circumstances, I see the new way as an improvement. But
    the way I use this feature, it's more of a barrier.

I've seen 100's of other posts and questions related to this. Hopefully enough to get the attention of the developers.

This NEEDS attention!!

Thanks,

Rick On The Net

RickWhilden, Jul 21, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Yeah - this is an annoying change.

Click on compare info

How do I copy files with the same name and keep both [​IMG]

Then tick both checkboxes in next menu

cereberus, Jul 21, 2016
  5. strollin Win User
    I personally like the current method, that way I get to compare the 2 files and see if they are identical sizes (meaning they are most likely both copies of the same file) before deciding to keep one or delete one.

strollin, Jul 21, 2016
  6. ndodd Win User
    Thanks for the help. I'm beginning to realize I'm only having problems with copying and importing when its photos from my iPhone. I tested your method with photos already on my laptop and got the option to review information for both files, but it doesn't pop up when copying photos from my iPhone. Thank you, Apple.

ndodd, Jul 21, 2016
  7. Mooly Win User
    You can copy and paste a file into any number of locations if that is any help. I actually need to do this for an application I run whereby each unique file is in its own folder but each folder also has a common .txt file pasted in as a look up table of data. Its never caused any issue and each identical file is correctly indexed to each location.

Mooly, Jul 21, 2016
  8. How do I copy files with the same name and keep both

Hi there! I know this is an older thread, but I am hoping that I can get some help. I have the same problem that was mentioned in the first post. I used to get the option to "Replace or Skip" (like the images that Cereberus posted), but now I get this and this only...

How do I get the option to "Replace or Skip"? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

SteelyJackW10, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I copy files with the same name and keep both - Similar Threads - copy files same

2. how do i copy files so that when i sort by date and name both are exactly the same

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i copy files so that when i sort by date and name both are exactly the same: I'm trying to moves files to my to my main PC but the files I'm transferring are all sorted by name when moved to the main PC everything is messed upand the main pc is sort by name the date so that both can be the same to avoid confusion when i use them so please help me out...
  3. how do i copy files so that when i sort by date and name both are exactly the same

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i copy files so that when i sort by date and name both are exactly the same: I'm trying to moves files to my to my main PC but the files I'm transferring are all sorted by name when moved to the main PC everything is messed upand the main pc is sort by name the date so that both can be the same to avoid confusion when i use them so please help me out...
  4. how do i copy files so that when i sort by date and name both are exactly the same

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Keep files with the same name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keep files with the same name: I regularly have documents with the same name that I need to transfer to a folder and I want to select the option to not skip any files with the same name and just have them automatically renamed, rather than having to choose to keep both files each time....
  6. Keep files with the same name

Keep files with the same name: I regularly have documents with the same name that I need to transfer to a folder and I want to select the option to not skip any files with the same name and just have them automatically renamed, rather than having to choose to keep both files each time....
  7. How to keep both files when copying duplicates?

How to keep both files when copying duplicates?: I have Windows 10 Pro. I am trying to copy emails from Outlook Microsoft Office Standard 2016 to a folder on my computer. It's 500+ emails, many emails in just a few threads. I am unable to copy all 500+ emails to the folder. When I try to copy a "duplicate" email the subject...
  8. How to keep both files when copying duplicates?

How to keep both files when copying duplicates?: I have Windows 10 Pro. I am trying to copy emails from Outlook Microsoft Office Standard 2016 to a folder on my computer. It's 500+ emails, many emails in just a few threads. I am unable to copy all 500+ emails to the folder. When I try to copy a "duplicate" email the subject...
  9. How to copy and paste but keep both the same file name file because Windows 10 has no such...

How to copy and paste but keep both the same file name file because Windows 10 has no such...: I want to copy and paste files from my iPhone to an external hard drive disk by Windows 10. But, some files have the same file names. The Windows 10 Copy File Window shows only two options “Copy and Replace” and “Don’t copy”. How to copy and paste but keep both the same file...
  10. Moving files with same name and accessing the option to keep both

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving files with same name and accessing the option to keep both: On Windows 7, if you were moving a file into a location that had a file with the same name, a dialogue box would appear which gave you three options: to copy and replace, to skip copying the file, or to copy but keep both files. However, in Windows 10, while the options to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 keep both same name files copy

2. How do I copy folders with the same name and keep both

3. how to rename multiple pdf files with the same name by copying and pasting

4. how to copy an email with the same name,
  5. how to copy file with same name,
  6. how to keep both files on laptop with same name,
  7. copy files with same name,
  8. copy both photos with same name,
  9. trying to copy files of the same name,
  10. gantry can I copy objects and keep same name,
  11. how to copy documents but keeping same name,