Windows 10: How do I create a File History on/for a new laptop? Win10

Discus and support How do I create a File History on/for a new laptop? Win10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm setting up a new Laptop but for the moment I'm keeping my old laptop. File History on my old laptop is an invaluable tool so how do I set up File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Taffy087, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Taffy087 Win User

How do I create a File History on/for a new laptop? Win10

I'm setting up a new Laptop but for the moment I'm keeping my old laptop.

File History on my old laptop is an invaluable tool so how do I set up File History on this, my new laptop?

PS Have I put this in the correct Category etc? I can't find any reference to File History anywhere.

:)

Taffy087, Aug 16, 2019

2. How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, Aug 16, 2019
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Aug 16, 2019
  4. How do I create a File History on/for a new laptop? Win10

file history

thunderfoot7, Aug 16, 2019
Thema:

How do I create a File History on/for a new laptop? Win10

1. How do I create a File History on/for a new laptop? Win10 - Similar Threads - create File History

2. How do I reconnect file history ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I reconnect file history ?: How do I reconnect file history? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-reconnect-file-history/544c11a1-b430-404c-b7e7-fc3ea2e40516
  3. I accidentally deleted a folder from my File History backups. How do I get File History to...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I accidentally deleted a folder from my File History backups. How do I get File History to...: It's embarassing, but I lost sight of where I was in File Explorer and accidentally deleted a folder (and subfolders) from the File History drive. I still have the original files, of course, but I would like File History to back them up again. I tried removing the folder from...
  4. How do I create a new Admin account?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I create a new Admin account?: I cannot find the password for the Admin account, and when I try to add new software (virus protection, etc.) I am prompted for the password before being allowed to perform the addition or update. PLEASE HELP....
  5. How can I restore files on file history to new pc?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    How can I restore files on file history to new pc?: How can I restore files on file history to new pc? Is the best way to transfer files to a new pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-restore-files-on-file-history-to-new-pc/3ee82309-04b3-41bf-aeb8-bf7f64a9216b"
  6. Backup files that Windows creates with file history

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup files that Windows creates with file history: Does anyone know where I can see the created Backup files that Windows creates with the file history function?? I defined my file history to backup to NAS, but I can't find the files there and also found no function to see the used share in the settings... *Think 127246
  7. file history- problem restoring file history onto new laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    file history- problem restoring file history onto new laptop: I have a file history created from a win8 laptop on a remote drive and want to ''restore'' this onto my new win 10 laptop. I'm currently signed in as the same user as per win 8. Opening "file history" and clicking, "I want to use a previous backup.....", displays this...
  8. How do I totally reset File History?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do I totally reset File History?: I want to totally reset my File History. Before installing Windows 10, I shut off File History. After upgrading from Win 8.1, I decided I wanted to remove a lot of folders which I don't really need to backup up constantly as they rarely change, they are taking up a lot of...
  9. How do I create a Macro for my laptop keyboard?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I create a Macro for my laptop keyboard?: Okay, thank you very much! I'll check them out and see what works, I was hoping to get the official Microsoft program to work, but if it cannot, I will try alternatives. Thanks for your time and help.
  10. Where/How do I save in my new Win10 laptop backed-up files & from Win7

in Windows 10 Support
    Where/How do I save in my new Win10 laptop backed-up files & from Win7: I'm secretary of a local sports club and I've always saved my files using layers of sub-folders, something that XP and Win7 allowed me to do. Not so Win 10 - when I saved and then copied into Win10, most of the folders were either lost, screwed up or dumped all over the...