Windows 10: How do I create a File History on/for a new laptop? Win10

Discus and support How do I create a File History on/for a new laptop? Win10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm setting up a new Laptop but for the moment I'm keeping my old laptop. File History on my old laptop is an invaluable tool so how do I set up File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Taffy087, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Taffy087 Win User

How do I create a File History on/for a new laptop? Win10

I'm setting up a new Laptop but for the moment I'm keeping my old laptop.

File History on my old laptop is an invaluable tool so how do I set up File History on this, my new laptop?

PS Have I put this in the correct Category etc? I can't find any reference to File History anywhere.

:)

Taffy087, Aug 16, 2019

2. How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, Aug 16, 2019
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Aug 16, 2019
  4. How do I create a File History on/for a new laptop? Win10

file history

thunderfoot7, Aug 16, 2019
Thema:

How do I create a File History on/for a new laptop? Win10

1. How do I create a File History on/for a new laptop? Win10 - Similar Threads - create File History

2. How do I create a new account on laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I create a new account on laptop?: "Select Start > Settings > Accounts and then select Family & other users." - That's what I saw on the Microsoft community, but I don't see the option Family & other users....
  3. How do I create a new account on laptop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I create a new account on laptop?: "Select Start > Settings > Accounts and then select Family & other users." - That's what I saw on the Microsoft community, but I don't see the option Family & other users....
  4. How do I create a desktop shortcut for File History?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I create a desktop shortcut for File History?: I am having a problem creating a desktop shortcut for File History in windows 11. When I right click the desktop, and click on NEW followed by SHORTCUT, I get a message box asking me to type the location of the item. Do any of you know the LOCATION of File History? * Moved...
  5. How do I create a desktop shortcut for File History?

How do I create a desktop shortcut for File History?: I am having a problem creating a desktop shortcut for File History in windows 11. When I right click the desktop, and click on NEW followed by SHORTCUT, I get a message box asking me to type the location of the item. Do any of you know the LOCATION of File History? * Moved...
  6. How do I create new file folders under "This PC'?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I create new file folders under "This PC'?: When I ran Windows10 Repair Update, I accidentally activated One Drive, and it uploaded all of my files. When I got them back, they were deposited onto my computer's Desktop. I don't want them on Desktop because it would be too easy for someone to accidentally drag them into...
  7. File History Restoral on New Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History Restoral on New Laptop: I backed up most of my files using File History to a USB drive because sending my laptop off for repairs. After getting it back, I reinstalled windows 11, but File History does not show my backup from Jan 7th.Could someone point me in the right direction on getting my files...
  8. File History Restoral on New Laptop

File History Restoral on New Laptop: I backed up most of my files using File History to a USB drive because sending my laptop off for repairs. After getting it back, I reinstalled windows 11, but File History does not show my backup from Jan 7th.Could someone point me in the right direction on getting my files...
  9. How do I reconnect file history ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I reconnect file history ?: How do I reconnect file history? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-reconnect-file-history/544c11a1-b430-404c-b7e7-fc3ea2e40516
  10. file history- problem restoring file history onto new laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    file history- problem restoring file history onto new laptop: I have a file history created from a win8 laptop on a remote drive and want to ''restore'' this onto my new win 10 laptop. I'm currently signed in as the same user as per win 8. Opening "file history" and clicking, "I want to use a previous backup.....", displays this...