Windows 10: How do I create a shortcut to a file on the network?

Discus and support How do I create a shortcut to a file on the network? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have some files (mainly spreadsheets) on the network and need to share some of those with managers I can share the link to the file by email quite... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Chris-K., Nov 18, 2019.

1. Chris-K. Win User

How do I create a shortcut to a file on the network?

I have some files (mainly spreadsheets) on the network and need to share some of those with managers

I can share the link to the file by email quite easily, I can share the whole folder but dont want to. I Cant share a shortcut by email because Outlook removes it

How do I create a shortcut on the managers desktop to a file on the network? without sharing/accessing the whole folder?

:)

Chris-K., Nov 18, 2019
  2. Flava0ne Win User

Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

Tried both of the VB Scripts that you provided and adding the 9 switch to the batch file but neither was able to create a shortcut to my desktop.

Flava0ne, Nov 18, 2019
  3. Flava0ne Win User

I've created a Batch file which calls on the following VB Script to be able to create a shortcut to my desktop:

VB Script (named createLink.vbs):
    Code: set objWSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") set objFso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") ' command line arguments ' TODO: error checking sShortcut = objWSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings(WScript.Arguments.Item(0)) sTargetPath = objWSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings(WScript.Arguments.Item(1)) sWorkingDirectory = objFso.GetAbsolutePathName(sShortcut) set objSC = objWSHShell.CreateShortcut(sShortcut) objSC.TargetPath = sTargetPath objSC.WorkingDirectory = sWorkingDirectory objSC.Save[/quote] Batch File Example (for Windows Notepad):
    Code: @echo off cscript createLink.vbs "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Notepad.lnk" "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe"[/quote] But after creating the shortcut using this method, I'm not able to assign a custom icon for the shortcut. I get the following error message when trying to do so:

How do I create a shortcut to a file on the network? Error503.jpg

Any help and ideas on what I need to put into the VB Script and/or Batch File to be able to do this would be greatly appreciated! *Big Grin How do I create a shortcut to a file on the network? :D

Also, I know that I can simply do this by going to Start Menu\All Programs\Accessories\ right-clicking on Notepad and selecting Send to\Desktop (create shortcut). Easy enough for creating a single shortcut. But I need to create several multiple shortcuts and using this Batch/VBS method would really save me a lot of time in doing so.

Flava0ne, Nov 18, 2019
  4. How do I create a shortcut to a file on the network?

Hmm, I just tried it and it worked fine. Maybe try running the batch as administrator? Also, right click on the desktop after the shortcut is created and click Refresh.

If the file in the third parameter doesn't exist, it assumes the icon is in the application.

FordGT90Concept, Nov 18, 2019
Thema:

How do I create a shortcut to a file on the network?

1. How do I create a shortcut to a file on the network? - Similar Threads - create shortcut file

2. How do I create a desktop shortcut for File History?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I create a desktop shortcut for File History?: I am having a problem creating a desktop shortcut for File History in windows 11. When I right click the desktop, and click on NEW followed by SHORTCUT, I get a message box asking me to type the location of the item. Do any of you know the LOCATION of File History? * Moved...
  3. How do I create a desktop shortcut for File History?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I create a desktop shortcut for File History?: I am having a problem creating a desktop shortcut for File History in windows 11. When I right click the desktop, and click on NEW followed by SHORTCUT, I get a message box asking me to type the location of the item. Do any of you know the LOCATION of File History? * Moved...
  4. How do I creat a network shortcut?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I creat a network shortcut?: I have created a shared folder on my linux machine and would like to access it from my windows machine. I am trying to create a shortcut on my windows desktop that links to the folder on the linux desktop using the location "\\<ipaddress>\<shared_folder>". Windows security...
  5. How do I creat a network shortcut?

How do I creat a network shortcut?: I have created a shared folder on my linux machine and would like to access it from my windows machine. I am trying to create a shortcut on my windows desktop that links to the folder on the linux desktop using the location "\\<ipaddress>\<shared_folder>". Windows security...
  6. How do I Create a Shortcut to the WinDefender Exclusion page?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I Create a Shortcut to the WinDefender Exclusion page?: Win 10 Pro version 1909 OS Build 18363.720 Rather than go through many pages and forgotten prompts to create a folder Exclusion in Win Defender, I'd prefer to create a Desktop shortcut. Using the URI windowsdefender: I can get to the Manage prompt, but no further... Any...
  7. How do I create shortcuts on JUST MY profile?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I create shortcuts on JUST MY profile?: Every time I create a shortcut when signed into my profile, it shows up on the other profile's desktops as well. Is there a way to create a shortcut for just me that other profiles don't see?...
  8. How do I create a camera app shortcut on the desktop?

How do I create a camera app shortcut on the desktop?: Instead of pinning the camera app to the taskbar, I'd like it to be a desktop shortcut, but there is no right-click option for that, and I can't find where the camera app folder is located in Windows 10. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks! 44664
  9. How do I create a network password?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I create a network password?: Hi, I've posted here about 3 or 4 weeks ago, and since had a lot of my questions answered. I also post in Seven Forums and XP Forms, respectively. I don't wan to be redundant, and apologize in advance. *Smile I'm pretty setup now with sharing and security permissions...
  10. How do i create a shortcut to restart explorer.exe?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do i create a shortcut to restart explorer.exe?: Sometimes when Windows Explorer crashes, opening Task Manager with Ctrl+Alt+Delete takes awhile and sometimes i don't think it will pull up. I would like to create a shortcut to restart explorer.exe from the desktop if possible, but how? 47435

Users found this page by searching for:

1. CREATE A BATCH FILE NETWORK SHORTCUT