Windows 10: How do I create Firewall rule that allows LAN and blocks internet?

Discus and support How do I create Firewall rule that allows LAN and blocks internet? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I want to create a firewall rule that allows a game executable to have lan access so I can play a lan game with my kid over my home network while... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Sqrly, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Sqrly Win User

How do I create Firewall rule that allows LAN and blocks internet?

I want to create a firewall rule that allows a game executable to have lan access so I can play a lan game with my kid over my home network while blocking internet access.

I am using windows firewall on windows 10 1803.

:)

Sqrly, Jan 26, 2019
  2. TwuTu Win User

Windows Firewall: Doesn't show blocking rules

Hello!

Today I've blocked all connections of a program by creating a outbound rule in Windows Firewall. However, I now wish to remove it. The problem: I can't find that newly created rule anywhere in the list. The rule does take an effect, since deactivating the
    Firewall lets the program run properly. I can only see rules in the list that "allow" stuff, but not those who block things.

What I have tried so far:

- All filters set to "Show all" within the Firewall

- Created the same rule again, doesn't show up

- Created a rule that allows the program, shows up

Any solutions?

TwuTu, Jan 26, 2019
  3. mike1127 Win User
    firewall rule to block addresses NOT on an IP list?

I am just starting to learn the Windows Firewall (working on both Windows 7 and 10) and I'm not impressed with the inflexibility of its rules. I would like to know if

1. Is there is a way to do what I want with Windows Firewall?
    2. Is there is a third-party firewall that would do it?

What I want to do is create a rule that blocks outgoing connections, for program X, that are to a destination **NOT** in an IP list.

Windows Firewall is not very flexible in how you specify IP list rules. When you give an IP list, your rule will match that list... you can't say "trigger the rule for non-matching IP addresses." Therefore to allow outgoing connections to a list, you have to

1. Change the entire firewall policy to block outgoing connections by default so that you can create an "allow rule" matching your list. This will mess up the rest of your programs.

2. Somehow combine a block rule and allow rule. Create a block rule for most traffic, with the "allow" rule overriding it when appropriate. However, this doesn't appear to be possible in general. It **may** be possible for connections that use IPSec, I'm not sure. And I'm not sure if I can use IPSec in my application.

And is there a third-party firewall that can do it? Most 3rd-party firewalls are LESS sophisticated than Windows Firewall, because the use case they are addressing is providing an interface that doesn't require much comprehension. I need one that's actually MORE sophisticated than Windows Firewall.

mike1127, Jan 26, 2019
  4. How do I create Firewall rule that allows LAN and blocks internet?

Windows Firewall Forgetting Rules

I've recently installed the latest version of Windows 10 in my PC. I've blocked and allowed some softwares in Windows Firewall. But Firewall keeps forgetting the rules in 1/2 days. For example, I've allowed Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 in Firewall. But in a
    few days, when I open the game, firewall sends message asking if I want to allow that app or not. Then after checking the allowed apps, I do not see that game in the list, which means firewall didn't remember the settings.

Also, I blocked KMPlayer in firewall to prevent it from connecting to internet (it shows too much ads otherwise). So, I created inbound and outbound rules for KMPlayer and blocked the connection. After that, it was all okay for two days, then again it started
    showing ads, and then checking the rules, I didn't notice the rules there which I created two days ago. And this thing keeps happening. I make the inbound and outbound rules for KMPlayer, it stays all okay for a few days, and then it forgets again.

So, what is wrong with the firewall and what is the solution of it?

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

Ninad Khan, Jan 26, 2019
Thema:

How do I create Firewall rule that allows LAN and blocks internet?

1. How do I create Firewall rule that allows LAN and blocks internet? - Similar Threads - create Firewall rule

2. Firewall Rules to Allow Microsoft Store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Firewall Rules to Allow Microsoft Store: Hi,We have our firewall set to block all traffic, what addresses can we add to the firewall to allow access to Microsoft Store. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firewall-rules-to-allow-microsoft-store/b65afe65-536e-4355-9794-16ccdedc1be3
  3. Firewall Rules to Allow Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Firewall Rules to Allow Microsoft Store: Hi,We have our firewall set to block all traffic, what addresses can we add to the firewall to allow access to Microsoft Store. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firewall-rules-to-allow-microsoft-store/b65afe65-536e-4355-9794-16ccdedc1be3
  4. Firewall Rules to Allow Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. DNS Client allowed by firewall rule, but still get blocked

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DNS Client allowed by firewall rule, but still get blocked: Hi, First; I am using Binisoft/Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control as frontend for Windows Firewall. My problem is that I allowed DNS Client to local gateway with UDP on port 53, but still for some reason it is being blocked. When opening the log window in Windows...
  6. Windows Firewall: Minimum Firewall Rules for Internet?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Firewall: Minimum Firewall Rules for Internet?: Does anyone who is familiar with Windows Firewall with Advanced Security know the minimum set of allowed Firewall Rules required for being able to browse the internet and stream videos, download files etc? Could you specify which Firewall Rules must be included and set to...
  7. Inbound Firewall Rule that Blocks

in Windows 10 Customization
    Inbound Firewall Rule that Blocks: Please help me understand how the 2 Inbound Rules created by MMC actually operate. Action, Enabled, Service, Program, Protocol Block, Yes, Any, C:\windows\system32\mmc.exe, TCP Block, Yes, Any, C:\windows\system32\mmc.exe, UDP If these...
  8. Creating Firewall rules for windows apps

Creating Firewall rules for windows apps: Hey everyone, I am trying to find a solution to this issue I have been having for the last 2 weeks. I recently got a new internet line coming to my remote location and the bandwidth I get on this connection is less than 1mbps. I only got this connection to do some gaming as...
  9. Smartscreen blocked by firewall - how to add rule to allow?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Smartscreen blocked by firewall - how to add rule to allow?: Hello I have my firewall configured to block outbound connections that don't meet a rule. Although there are the default rules for Smartscreen still enabled, smartscreen still gives it's error message "Windows smartscreen can't be reached right now". If I enable all outbound...
  10. Firewall rule to allow /24

Firewall rule to allow /24: Is it possible to use this notation in a firewall rule? I am having issues with homegroup telling me the computer joined to the home group is currently unavailable even though they are set not to hibernate/sleep. If I disable the firewall(s) then try I can connect to from one...