Windows 10: How do I create Windows File Explorer Search wildcards and escape code?

Discus and support How do I create Windows File Explorer Search wildcards and escape code? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I cant any reasonable tutorial on the net. I need to search for filenames, which have numbers in parenthesis. It looks like parenthesis are somehow... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Furatus, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Furatus Win User

How do I create Windows File Explorer Search wildcards and escape code?

I cant any reasonable tutorial on the net.

I need to search for filenames, which have numbers in parenthesis. It looks like parenthesis are somehow ignored. How do I properly escape

the character - as of now it seems to me, like it is ignored.

I need to extract from my directories files like abc2020.txt abc1.txt

Could someone please some tutorial or summary? I went as far as Advanced Query Syntax and I didn't find anything useful.

Examples:

2 finds folder 2-Misc and all filenames containing '2'

2.jp finds file 'flower 2.jpg'

Thanks a lot!

:)

Furatus, Feb 9, 2020

2. Using Wildcard to search in windows Explorer

Hi Jerry,

To isolate your concern regarding Wildcard search on
    Windows File Explorer
    , we suggest that you run an SFC
    (System File Checker) tool
    to check for system file corruptions and fix it. Once done, restart your computer and check if the issue persists.

In addition, you can manage the search options to give you the most thorough search by following these steps:

• Click File tab on Windows File Explorer, click
      Change folder and search options.

• Click Search tab and select Don't use the index when searching in file folders for system files (search might take longer).
    • You can also select Always search file names and contents (this might take several minutes).

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Joseph Ban, Feb 9, 2020
  3. OldW7Guy Win User
    File Explorer Search fails wildcard partial numeric name search.

The indexing trouble shooter did not find any problem.
    System File Check result was: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.10586.0 found No component store corruption detected.

I do not believe that my system has any problem as the wildcard partial numeric name search issue occurs on all Windows 10 systems of family and friends.
    I believe the priority of this issue should be raised because the Search Results vary depending on the number of files involved creating confusion and incorrect results. With less than 40 files the wildcard partial numeric name search returns the correct
    results. With more than 50 files the wildcard search becomes a whole number search only listing files that have the exact number. With *2345 in the search box and more than 50 files in focus, Search will Not list 123456.txt but will only list 2345.txt.
    With less than 40 files in focus All files with any numeric string containing 2345 will be listed.

OldW7Guy, Feb 9, 2020
  4. How do I create Windows File Explorer Search wildcards and escape code?

Windows 10 File Explorer Search Wildcard Characters Not Working

Dear Boulder_Man,

Thanks for your input, but as I posted, I managed to solve the problem in (unique to Windows 10?),
    by turning the indexing option off, even though I'm not searching for system files. That forces it to search through the actual file directories, rather than some out of date index list.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to mark my own answer as "Mark as Answer" or even "Helpful."

I'm not sure which version of Windows you are using, but there definitely is a field specifier,
    "name:"
    I use it quite often. It searches the filename field, which appears to have been renamed 'Name' in Windows 10 (possibly an earlier version). See the first field in the image above.

BTW, I tested your tilde suggestion, but it didn't work. From earlier Windows Search releases, the tilde (undocumented) seems to ensure that wildcard characters, such as asterisks, are treated as wildcards and not actual characters. But that actually isn't
    my problem, as the index list is incomplete, hence the files are not found.

If you do 'upgrade' to Windows 10, do note that a number of things are still a bit wonky. And I would recommend staying away from Windows 10
    Home, unless you want Microsoft to periodically seize your laptop and force a re-boot when it sees fit!

Kind regards,

LostInSpace88, Feb 9, 2020
Thema:

How do I create Windows File Explorer Search wildcards and escape code?

1. How do I create Windows File Explorer Search wildcards and escape code? - Similar Threads - create File Explorer

2. How do I do a Windows file search by file contents with an asterisk wildcard in the first...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I do a Windows file search by file contents with an asterisk wildcard in the first...: Dear "Support", I have the same question as it already was discussed in 2023 - but there with no real solution.I have 4 files in a directory:1 Steuerbescheinigungen_2023_name1.pdf2 Anfrage_Steuer_Kauf_Einstand.pdf3 Jahressteuerbescheinigung_20240306.pdf4...
  3. How do I do a Windows file search by file contents with an asterisk wildcard in the first...

in Cortana
    How do I do a Windows file search by file contents with an asterisk wildcard in the first...: Dear "Support", I have the same question as it already was discussed in 2023 - but there with no real solution.I have 4 files in a directory:1 Steuerbescheinigungen_2023_name1.pdf2 Anfrage_Steuer_Kauf_Einstand.pdf3 Jahressteuerbescheinigung_20240306.pdf4...
  4. How do I do a Windows file search by file contents with an asterisk wildcard in the first...

in Cortana
    How do I do a Windows file search by file contents with an asterisk wildcard in the first...: Hello,I am struggling to use wildcards for searching for files in Windows by content, in the specific case where the wildcard replaces the first character. So, for example, if I am searching for files with the word foobar in them then:Searching for foobar will find...
  5. How do I do a Windows file search by file contents with an asterisk wildcard in the first...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I do a Windows file search by file contents with an asterisk wildcard in the first...: Hello,I am struggling to use wildcards for searching for files in Windows by content, in the specific case where the wildcard replaces the first character. So, for example, if I am searching for files with the word foobar in them then:Searching for foobar will find...
  6. How do I do a Windows file search by file contents with an asterisk wildcard in the first...

7. Wildcards in Searches Using File Explorer Windows 10

Wildcards in Searches Using File Explorer Windows 10: There must be some kind of enabling/setting thing that I have messed up. I have a folder with two files named FileA.dox and FileB.docx. I can do a search on this folder using the search string name:FIL* and get the two files returned. I can do a search on name:*Fil* and get...
  8. Wildcards in Searches Using File Explorer Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wildcards in Searches Using File Explorer Windows 10: There must be some kind of enabling/setting thing that I have messed up. I have a folder with two files named FileA.dox and FileB.docx. I can do a search on this folder using the search string name:FIL* and get the two files returned. I can do a search on name:*Fil* and get...
  9. Wildcards in Searches Using File Explorer Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Can't do wildcard search for file extensions in explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't do wildcard search for file extensions in explorer?: This is weird, I'm trying to find all the *.mov files in my dropbox folder on my C: drive. I seem to be able to find *.JPG (when I use *.jpg lower case), or at least some of them, but *.mov and *.pdf etc doesn't work. The search returns nothing. But I can see them, they are...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer search escape character