Windows 10: How do I customize OneNote's file system?

Discus and support How do I customize OneNote's file system? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Using OneNote version 14.0.7166.5000 (32-bit). I've always been a bit confused about OneNote's file system and how to change it. I keep all my notes in... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by gogreen, Jul 23, 2016.

1. gogreen Win User

How do I customize OneNote's file system?

Using OneNote version 14.0.7166.5000 (32-bit). I've always been a bit confused about OneNote's file system and how to change it. I keep all my notes in the unfiled notes section--I have only about 28 notes, and they're all listed on the right side when I open OneNote. That's convenient enough, so I don't need sections or a deeper file system.

How do I keep all my notes in C:\Data\OneNote Notebooks\Unfiled Notes.one, removing one of the "Personal" subfolders? And how do I modify the Unfiled Notes Section listing as shown?

:)

gogreen, Jul 23, 2016

2. Windows Journal removal

Hi folks:

Jon from MSFT here. I wanted to close on one open point I made back in September. I mentioned at the end of my post:

We are aware that converting existing Journal files to OneNote is difficult, and are investigating how we can make that transition easier for our customers.

Well, we're done with that investigation, and I'm happy to say we now have a tool available called the
    Windows Journal to Microsoft OneNote Converter (BETA), which will allow you to convert Windows Journal files (both .JNT and .JTP files) into OneNote files (.ONE section files).

KB3194053
    has all the information about the tool, including where to download it, how to install it, and how it use it.

Let me know if you have any issues using the tool or encounter any bugs. I'll do what I can to help.

Jon Fincher, Jul 23, 2016
  3. Phone 7 My Documents are read only

Ok, so my next question is "how do you place those excel files on OneNote"?

I ask that because I want to see just what you are doing so I can see if I get the same result.

If I copy an excel spreadsheet and paste it into a Onenote notebook and sync I can open and edit on my device.

If I insert an excel file, I can open on my device but it is read only

If I use the Print option and send it to OneNote, I can view on my device but cannot edit. As an FYI,
    When you print a file to OneNote by using the OneNote print driver, a copy of the file's contents is imported. OneNote does not maintain a link to the source file. If the source file is updated, those changes do not appear in your notebook unless you import
    the file again.

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Jul 23, 2016
  4. gogreen Win User

Anyone? Just jump right in, please. Thanks.

Problem solved. I restored OneNote to its default state and started over again. It's much better now--so far, so good--and I've even set up sharing a notebook between my desktop PC and my laptop over my home network. So between me and OneNote, all's forgiven. I hope it lasts.

gogreen, Jul 26, 2016
Thema:

1. How do I customize OneNote's file system? - Similar Threads - customize OneNote's file

2. How do I make custom calendars?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I make custom calendars?: I am trying to make custom calendars on the Microsoft calendar app. Whenever I click "Add Calendars" it shows other calendars, but it doesn't give an option for a custom one....
  3. Adding Custom system files to the install.wim file.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Adding Custom system files to the install.wim file.: Is there a way using DISM to add/overwrite system files in the system resource folder in the install.wim file in the iso. So that when i install windows my custom icons for folders and drives are already installed along with the .reg files to show the drive icons. [img] 167810
  4. How do i create checkbox in onenote for windows 10. I created that on Onenote for android...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do i create checkbox in onenote for windows 10. I created that on Onenote for android...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/mazbeg [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h0qc00/how_do_i_create_checkbox_in_onenote_for_windows/
  5. how do i delete onenote

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i delete onenote: how do I delete onenote https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-onenote/f0f84487-26a9-4312-accd-e8676d671381
  6. Editing system files with custom editor

Editing system files with custom editor: Some files like .bat, .ps1, .reg have edit action in file context menu. When I click on it I can edit the file in notepad. Can I make any change in registry so that I can make the file open in my custom editor(i.e notepad++) when I click on edit button?? submitted by...
  7. How do I swap icons for OneNote?

How do I swap icons for OneNote?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Joshmi3 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f5jlt7/how_do_i_swap_icons_for_onenote/
  8. Custom system file copying

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Custom system file copying: I have a customized imagers.dll, shell32.dll and sndvol.dll files . During installation I would like to copy them into system32. If I do this during setup, oobe section would this crash windows 10? John 137107
  9. How do I get OneNote to store on OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I get OneNote to store on OneDrive?: I have OneNote on my PC, and I want to put it on OneDrive, but I cannot find a way. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-onenote-to-store-on-onedrive/6ec46680-ec8d-4ea4-bb09-2f4ea41d9060"
  10. Custom tags available soon in OneNote

in Windows 10 News
    Custom tags available soon in OneNote: We’re extremely excited to bring custom tags to our users in the next few weeks! With this feature, users will be able to name the tag and select an icon to create a custom tag that will sync across devices and show up in app search results. Add custom tags to your pages and...