Windows 10: How Do I Cut Down the Memory Use by CORTANA?

Discus and support How Do I Cut Down the Memory Use by CORTANA? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'd like to cut down the memory used by Cortana, I don't like or use Cortana but find that it's using a large amount of memory on my computer (windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Bigfoot, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Bigfoot Win User

How Do I Cut Down the Memory Use by CORTANA?

I'd like to cut down the memory used by Cortana, I don't like or use Cortana but find that it's using a large amount of memory on my computer (windows 10 HP). The memory is 63.3 MB. I'm reading an article in the newspaper where you can decrease that memory almost completely and therefore increase the speed of your computer.

I have all the simple things turned off with Cortana, but its still active. They said to find the key to make changes. This is what I typed in the cortana search box, and it just led me to online results.

HKLM\software\policies\microsoft\windows\windows search

This is the article they said to follow, but I don't know much about computers and I wish this could be done in the simplest way possible. I don't want to uninstall, but would like to cut down on the memory used.

Windows 10 tip: Turn off Cortana completely | ZDNet

:)

Bigfoot, Mar 26, 2017
  2. Entegy Win User

How do I use the Screen options by the service provider?

It has been reported that these types of menus do not work with WP7 right now.

Entegy, Mar 26, 2017
  3. rkankal Win User
    How do I use the Screen options by the service provider?

On my Phone I dial *123# and the screen appears with the options:

1.Bill Flash.
    2.My account Info
    3.Latest Tariff Plans
    4.GPRS
    5.VAS
    6.Roaming
    7.Bill Payments
    8.Features

And I am supposed to enter a numeric value inorder to proceed further. Can some one tell me how do I do that?

rkankal, Mar 26, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

63.3 MB - that is tiny unless you have say a 1GB tablet!

You will barely notice the difference at all!

Messing around with Cortana is more likely to break things (she is a tough lady How Do I Cut Down the Memory Use by CORTANA? :)).

cereberus, Mar 26, 2017
  5. You can not, I used to remove Cortana (SearchUI), but in CU, it is part of Start, without it, Start does not work.

If Start is not active, it is dormant, but still takes about 40MB. You might try CleanMem to free some RAM.

How Do I Cut Down the Memory Use by CORTANA? [​IMG]

How Do I Cut Down the Memory Use by CORTANA? [​IMG]

TairikuOkami, Mar 26, 2017
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    There is a rather popular misconception that the more memory a computer uses the slower it will be. The opposite is true. As a general rule the more memory used the better will be performance. The exception being when high usage causes a shortage and there is no evidence of that. If your computer has a reasonable amount of memory even reducing that 63.5MB to zero would have no measurable effect on performance.

Windows 10 has no need for and will not benefit from third party memory optimizers, managers, etc. The only dubious benefit is to make the numbers in Task Manager look better to those who do not understand what they mean.

LMiller7, Mar 27, 2017
  7. Bigfoot Win User
    Bigfoot, Mar 27, 2017
  8. How Do I Cut Down the Memory Use by CORTANA?

Nevermind, it seems that Start still works now, even after removing Cortana, it was probably fixed in CU.

To restore run: "sfc /scannow" or backup the whole folder.
    Code: takeown /f "%WinDir%\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy" /a /r /d y icacls "%WinDir%\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy" /inheritance:r /grant:r AdministratorsHow Do I Cut Down the Memory Use by CORTANA? :(OI)(CI)F /t /c taskkill /im SearchUI.exe /f rd "%WinDir%\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy" /s /q[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Mar 27, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Cortana shouldn't be using disk, internet or CPU resources. Just some RAM - and not very much as has been observed. So I can't see why sluggishness could be attributed to that.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How Do I Cut Down the Memory Use by CORTANA? - Similar Threads - Cut Down Memory

2. How do I cut down the pending time for installing the Windows Display Languages?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I cut down the pending time for installing the Windows Display Languages?: How do I cut down the pending time for installing the Windows Display Languages? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-cut-down-the-pending-time-for-installing/301e2d36-0bf0-4766-ad6b-c14fe228da4e
  3. How do I cut down the pending time for installing the Windows Display Languages?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I cut down the pending time for installing the Windows Display Languages?: How do I cut down the pending time for installing the Windows Display Languages? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-cut-down-the-pending-time-for-installing/301e2d36-0bf0-4766-ad6b-c14fe228da4e
  4. How do I cut down the pending time for installing the Windows Display Languages?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How do i use my GPU's shared memory?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i use my GPU's shared memory?: So I'm wondering how do I use my Shared Video Ram. I have done my time to look it up, and it says its very much possible but. I don't know how. The reason for is gaming and for Video production. But as you can see in the picture 2GB Dedicated VRAM just really does not work...
  6. How do I make use of the usable memory?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I make use of the usable memory?: Hello, I'm having trouble of running just a few programs and my memory is already out, google chrome already takes a big chunk of it. What about the other software I need, like film editors etc.I would like to figure out how to expand the usable memory. I'm using a lenovo...
  7. How To Use Cortana

in Cortana
    How To Use Cortana: I want to use cortana and it said: 'cortana isn't available in you region' so i changed to UK and i still cannot use cortana. Next i try to see if i can use the setting, but it says has no matches....
  8. How do I get programs to use virtual memory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I get programs to use virtual memory: I'm using Windows 10 home with 8GB of RAM, but it's clear that 8GB isn't enough for Windows. When no programs (besides task manager) are open, my PC is constantly using 30-40% of my ram which is ridiculous... I am constantly at a high RAM usage and I can barely have anything...
  9. How can I slow down Cortana?

in Cortana
    How can I slow down Cortana?: If I take too long to ask Cortana a question, she will turn herself off. It's really frustrating, is there a setting that I can change to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-slow-down-cortana/d60293a2-1acd-4d4d-a426-cbb8a84b89ef
  10. Cortana memory use

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana memory use: I've searched TenForums and read TenForums Tutorial and ran Disable_Cortana along with turning off 100 switches. And Task Manager still reports Cortana holding 75MB. I'm using the wrong search terms since "why does Cortana use memory" ain't getting me anywhere. What is...