Windows 10: How do I deactivate my Windows 10 Pro retail license before selling my computer?

Discus and support How do I deactivate my Windows 10 Pro retail license before selling my computer? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm going to sell my old computer. At the time I bought a Windows 10 Pro retail license so I can use again on another computer in the future. I just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Mannekino, May 16, 2020.

1. How do I deactivate my Windows 10 Pro retail license before selling my computer?

I'm going to sell my old computer. At the time I bought a Windows 10 Pro retail license so I can use again on another computer in the future.

I just did a secure erase of the PC and did a clean install of Windows 10 Home. Before doing this I went to my Microsoft account and removed my old PC from the list of devices and also removed it from the Microsoft Store.

After installing Windows 10 Home I saw that my PC was activated with a digital license. So I did some searching and found out you can remove the product key with the command:

slmgr.vbs /upk

So I tried that and it said Windows 10 was no longer activated. To be sure I did another secure erase and clean install of Windows 10. Again it said Windows 10 Home is activated with a digital license. Also note I have a Windows 10 Pro license not Home.

How do I make sure the new owner doesn't get my digital license so I can use on another computer in the future?

submitted by /u/Mannekino
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Mannekino, May 16, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

MSFT acknowledges some Win10 Pro licenses being mistakenly deactivated

Source: Microsoft acknowledges some Windows 10 Pro licenses being mistakenly deactivated - Neowin

More:

UPDATE: You can now run the Windows Activation troubleshooter to activate again.

*Arrow Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

Brink, May 16, 2020
  3. z3r010 Win User
    MSFT acknowledges some Win10 Pro licenses being mistakenly deactivated

Source: Microsoft acknowledges some Windows 10 Pro licenses being mistakenly deactivated - Neowin

More:

UPDATE: You can now run the Windows Activation troubleshooter to activate again.

*Arrow Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

z3r010, May 16, 2020
  4. How do I deactivate my Windows 10 Pro retail license before selling my computer?

How to deactivate Windows 10 I got from Microsoft Imagine in order to sell PC

My university is part of Microsoft Imagine program and this is how I got product key for Windows 10.

In meantime I got new machine and installed Windows 10 with same product key.

I want to sell my old PC.

What I have tried in order to remove license on old PC:

1. Formatting hard drive of old PC did not work, as soon as I reinstalled windows it activated itself with digital license.
    2. Running slmgr /upk (In order to uninstall product key) did not work, as soon as I restarted Windows activated itself with digital license.
    3. Running following commands:

slmgr /upk in order to uninstall product key

slmgr /cpky - this clears product key from registry

slmgr /rearm - to reset licensing status of the machine

At first this seemed to help, I restarted machine several times and Windows was deactivated.

But when I performed update of the machine (Windows Update) it activated itself again.

I simply can not believe there is no easy way to do this.

I do not want to sell my PC in this state, because even if completely format my HDD, the person who buys it can simply reinstall and get copy of Windows for free.

I know that license is somehow tied to my hardware components(motherboard mostly) but changing motherboard is not an option and I find frustrating there is no easy way to do this.

Also linking to Microsoft account is not an option, it requires login with account password but new computer is used by multiple people.

Edit in response to comments:

• I built new computer myself.
    • Old machine was not connected nor installed with Microsoft Account.
    • Running slmgr /dlv on command line gives "Retail" for "Product Key Channel" so type of the license is Retail I suppose.
    • Trying to activate Pro edition, also Pro edition was installed on old pc.
    • When installing Windows on new machine I did not enter product key, I entered product key after installation in Settings.

Bojan Malinić, May 16, 2020
Thema:

How do I deactivate my Windows 10 Pro retail license before selling my computer?

1. How do I deactivate my Windows 10 Pro retail license before selling my computer? - Similar Threads - deactivate Pro retail

2. I reset windows 11 to sell my laptop. How do i check it before I sell it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I reset windows 11 to sell my laptop. How do i check it before I sell it?: I completely wiped my pc for sale on ebay but, how do I check to make sure its all set for sale. I need to give my internet access which is ok but then I need to sign in....huh? any work arounds?...
  3. I reset windows 11 to sell my laptop. How do i check it before I sell it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I reset windows 11 to sell my laptop. How do i check it before I sell it?: I completely wiped my pc for sale on ebay but, how do I check to make sure its all set for sale. I need to give my internet access which is ok but then I need to sign in....huh? any work arounds?...
  4. Windows 10 installed on my computer, do I need to deactivate my licence before installing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 installed on my computer, do I need to deactivate my licence before installing...: Hello,I bought a new computer to assemble so it doesn't come with an OEM license.My current computer is running windows 10 and is outdated so it doesn't meet the requirements for Windows 11 installation.After I assemble my new computer, since I won't have access to the old...
  5. Windows 10 installed on my computer, do I need to deactivate my licence before installing...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 installed on my computer, do I need to deactivate my licence before installing...: Hello,I bought a new computer to assemble so it doesn't come with an OEM license.My current computer is running windows 10 and is outdated so it doesn't meet the requirements for Windows 11 installation.After I assemble my new computer, since I won't have access to the old...
  6. CAN I SELL DIGITAL RETAIL LICENSE?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CAN I SELL DIGITAL RETAIL LICENSE?: Hi Microsoft,I have a concern that i want to clarify, I have Visual Studio Enterprise Subscription, under which i have access to tons of Product key. i.e i can claim tens of copies of each type of Windows 10, Office, and other Software.These Product keys are of type retail,...
  7. Forgot to deactivate a retail license to transfer to a new computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Forgot to deactivate a retail license to transfer to a new computer: Hello. I own a retail license of Windows 7 with a free upgrade to 10 some many years ago. I recently changed hardware motherboard, GPU, processor so it was a significant change. I actually forgot to deactivate the old license I am still using the same HD so that means I can't...
  8. How do I deactivate Windows 10 pro on a dead computer?

How do I deactivate Windows 10 pro on a dead computer?: I want to upgrade from Home to Pro using my key from my old dead computer. The old SSD drive where Windows 10 Pro is installed into the new computer and works fine. I have the Product key code but it doesn't work. My understanding is the key needs to be deactivated and...
  9. How is my license of Windows 10 affected if I sell my PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How is my license of Windows 10 affected if I sell my PC?: Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I'm looking to build a new PC and sell my current one that I built years ago. I want to sell my current PC with a fresh install of Windows 10 so that whoever buys it from me has a working PC right off the bat. Is there anything I...
  10. Windows 10 transferable license deactivation (selling PC)

Windows 10 transferable license deactivation (selling PC): Hello everybody, I’d like to ask about deactivation Windows 10 PC. I have transferable license of Windows 10 on a PC and I would like to sell this PC without this license. Of course, I will format and securely erase HDD, but when new owner makes fresh PC installation,...