Windows 10: How do I deactivate Windows 10 pro on a dead computer?

Discus and support How do I deactivate Windows 10 pro on a dead computer? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I want to upgrade from Home to Pro using my key from my old dead computer. The old SSD drive where Windows 10 Pro is installed into the new computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by robe_8118, Dec 3, 2020.

1. robe_8118 Win User

How do I deactivate Windows 10 pro on a dead computer?

I want to upgrade from Home to Pro using my key from my old dead computer. The old SSD drive where Windows 10 Pro is installed into the new computer and works fine. I have the Product key code but it doesn't work.

My understanding is the key needs to be deactivated and shown to be available for usage.

:)

robe_8118, Dec 3, 2020

2. Windows 10 deactivated itself after update

I bought the windows Pro last year and the code is valid until the recent windows update and now this is showing that my Windows is deactivated.

Please help. I followed the steps and tried to call the phone number that shows up when you search using the
    SLUI 04 and there seems to be a dead number and the call does not go through.

This product key was on the back of windows 10 Pro DVD that i bought and shamefully now windows says that this key is not for Windows 10 pro. how is this possible?

Please suggest steps to get this resolved. other than the ones you already mentioned here.

Thank you.

VijayaGopu, Dec 3, 2020
  3. Need to deactivate Windows 10 but the computer is dead

There's no such thing as deactivation, so you don't need to do anything with your dead old computer.

You can't activate because you are transferring your Windows 10 installation to a different motherboard, which is equivalent to transferring it to a new computer.

There are already plenty of posts here and other places explaining how to move/transfer your license to new hardware. In some cases you can do that, in others you need to buy a new copy of Windows 10.

pc-learner, Dec 3, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

MSFT acknowledges some Win10 Pro licenses being mistakenly deactivated

Source: Microsoft acknowledges some Windows 10 Pro licenses being mistakenly deactivated - Neowin

More:

UPDATE: You can now run the Windows Activation troubleshooter to activate again.

*Arrow Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

Brink, Dec 3, 2020
Thema:

1. How do I deactivate Windows 10 pro on a dead computer? - Similar Threads - deactivate pro dead

2. How to deactivate windows license from dead computers?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to deactivate windows license from dead computers?: I had windows10 key which I was able to use on 5 devices. During past years, I have changed many computers and used that key. Those computers are dead. My question is how I can free those licenses from dead comuters and use them somewhere else?...
  3. How to deactivate windows license from dead computers?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to deactivate windows license from dead computers?: I had windows10 key which I was able to use on 5 devices. During past years, I have changed many computers and used that key. Those computers are dead. My question is how I can free those licenses from dead comuters and use them somewhere else?...
  4. How to deactivate windows license from dead computers?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Pro Deactivated

Windows 10 Pro Deactivated: So I have had Windows 10 Pro on my PC for 3-4 years and all was well. Just recently I needed word for school, and so I downloaded the student package that my school offers for free to us. Low and behold, after signing into my school's Microsoft account, to access all Words,...
  6. How do I deactivate my Windows 10 Pro retail license before selling my computer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I deactivate my Windows 10 Pro retail license before selling my computer?: I'm going to sell my old computer. At the time I bought a Windows 10 Pro retail license so I can use again on another computer in the future. I just did a secure erase of the PC and did a clean install of Windows 10 Home. Before doing this I went to my Microsoft account and...
  7. WIndows 10 pro deactivation

WIndows 10 pro deactivation: I have a purchased version of WIndows 10 Pro on my home build. I had built another pc for my kids and used my Windows live login to create an administrator profile on the kids pc. Then I had made some hardware changes to my pc because the mobo had gone bad. Now the Windows on...
  8. Windows 10 Pro Deactivated

Windows 10 Pro Deactivated: Hi Recently I changed my Laptop and changed it's harddrive and RAM with existing one. Everything went well but my Windows 10 Pro is not getting activated. I also got activation message for Microsoft Office and that got activated without any problem but when my Windows is not...
  9. Windows 10 pro deactivating

Windows 10 pro deactivating: Ok so back in April of 2017 i got a refurbished office pc that had a windows 10 pro refurbish key i used it on that pc and worked fine, and in august of 2018 i built a gaming pc and i used the key on the new system and it worked totally fine and fully activated it till today...
  10. Windows 10 pro deactivation

Windows 10 pro deactivation: My PC was running fine until today. My version of windows has been deactivated. The trouble shooter says the validation code it's using goes with the Home edition, not the Pro edition I obtained through the upgrade from 8.1 Pro some while ago....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. deactivate windows from a dead computer

2. how to deactivate windows 10 from old pc

3. deauthorize windows 10 from broken computer