Windows 10: How do I deal with a file that can not be removed from my desktop?

Discus and support How do I deal with a file that can not be removed from my desktop? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm trying to remove a folder on my desktop that contains what appears to be internet explorer applications. However, every time I try to move or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SantiagoOrDunbar, Nov 14, 2019.

1. How do I deal with a file that can not be removed from my desktop?

I'm trying to remove a folder on my desktop that contains what appears to be internet explorer applications. However, every time I try to move or delete the folder I get a message saying that I do not have administrative control to do so. I've tried changing ownership to Users so I can give myself full control, and it appears that part works, but it still gives me the error when I try to remove the file. How do I get rid of this file? Surely there must be a way to remove this eyesore.

submitted by /u/SantiagoOrDunbar
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SantiagoOrDunbar, Nov 14, 2019
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Nov 14, 2019
  3. Vesao Win User
    Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Nov 14, 2019
  4. slozomby Win User

How do I deal with a file that can not be removed from my desktop?

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Nov 14, 2019
Thema:

How do I deal with a file that can not be removed from my desktop?

1. How do I deal with a file that can not be removed from my desktop? - Similar Threads - deal file removed

2. How do I remove these from my Desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I remove these from my Desktop?: These are from when I Backed Up my One Drive and left these white ones sitting there on my Desk top. The second 2 are when I Set Up my Printer. They say SET UP. I also have the yellow one which is backup from my old lap top for this new PC. One of the white ones says Windows...
  3. How do I remove these from my Desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I remove these from my Desktop?: These are from when I Backed Up my One Drive and left these white ones sitting there on my Desk top. The second 2 are when I Set Up my Printer. They say SET UP. I also have the yellow one which is backup from my old lap top for this new PC. One of the white ones says Windows...
  4. How do I remove the onedrive url from my desktop?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I remove the onedrive url from my desktop?: I am really irate at this onedrive bs. It installed itself with windows, i know its a windows program but then it succeeded in taking everything I had on my desktop and throw it into my onedrive which immediately started giving me error messages cuz the onedrive doesnt have...
  5. How do I remove the onedrive url from my desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I remove the onedrive url from my desktop?: I am really irate at this onedrive bs. It installed itself with windows, i know its a windows program but then it succeeded in taking everything I had on my desktop and throw it into my onedrive which immediately started giving me error messages cuz the onedrive doesnt have...
  6. How do I remove the onedrive url from my desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How do I remove a non-shortcut file from desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I remove a non-shortcut file from desktop?: I don't want to delete the file, just move it somewhere else that is not on the desktop. The file in question is not a shortcut, it is the actual file. Any help with this would be great....
  8. Removing a file from my desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Removing a file from my desktop: a file has shown up on my desktop and it cannot be removed. file:///C:/Users/artte/OneDrive/Desktop/BETTEM~1.PDF Have no idea how it got there and unable to remove it. Any help appreciated...
  9. How do i remove these from my desktop screen?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i remove these from my desktop screen?: So I was organizing my desktop screen when I noticed these apps (Below) would not delete.[ATTACH] I try to delete them and this happens (Below)[ATTACH] I think it thinks it's the actual app but it has a shortcut icon. So I go into file explorer to move them, and they're not...
  10. How do I remove desktop folder shortcut from desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I remove desktop folder shortcut from desktop?: Hi, I know the title might sound a bit confusing, but basically I accidently dragged out the desktop shortcut from the quick access bar to my desktop and it now created a folder saying Desktop (similar to say, going to the control panel>personalisation>change desktop icons...