Windows 10: How do I Defragment my Storage Drives?.

Discus and support How do I Defragment my Storage Drives?. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My OS is Windows 10 Home version 2004. I use a 125GB SSD only for the system and program installation files. Everything else I store and backup on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by saltyseadog, Sep 9, 2020.

1. How do I Defragment my Storage Drives?.

My OS is Windows 10 Home version 2004. I use a 125GB SSD only for the system and program installation files. Everything else I store and backup on my 500GB and 1TB HDD's. I have never defragmented my SSD as was advised it is not a good idea but after 7yrs I think it might be a good idea to defragment my two HDD disc drives but am unsure how to point the defragmenter at them without doing the SSD. I did a search but found nothing specific to my question, could someone more knowledgeable point me to a tutorial or such?.

:)

saltyseadog, Sep 9, 2020
  2. Bundy Win User

Good defrag utility??

I have tried out most of the defraggers listed above and would not any of them on an OS drive. They all interfere with the boot optimisation that MS has implemented and do not adequately replace it (if the option to do so exists).

I recommend using the Windows defragger, prefetch ,superfetch and layout.ini system for your OS drive as they are all interelated and work the best.

For non OS drives, there are a number of approaches, I suggest Ultimate defrag or Optimum defrag do a great job on game drives or storage drives. Mussels thread has the info.

Bundy, Sep 9, 2020
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Defragment and Optimize Drives Problem

Hi Edward,

Based on the details you have provided, your C drive was unrecognized by the system. We suggest that you run these
    commands and see if there are any changes:

• Open
      Command Prompt
      as
      Administrator.

• Run
      the following commands:

• To fix any logical file errors:

• Chkdsk C: /f /r

• To defrag your Drive C manually:

• Defrag C: /D /U

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Sep 9, 2020
  4. How do I Defragment my Storage Drives?.

Windows Defrag

When running defrag, there is a drive listing for Windows RE Tools. It shows as a solid state drive and that it has never been defragged. It will not optimize. Clicking on it does nothing. Any suggestions?

Donald Eager, Sep 9, 2020
Thema:

How do I Defragment my Storage Drives?.

1. How do I Defragment my Storage Drives?. - Similar Threads - Defragment Storage Drives

2. How do I get my D drive to be listed on Defragment and Optimize Drives?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I get my D drive to be listed on Defragment and Optimize Drives?: Lately I have been experiencing trouble with my D drive. Some programs installed have not been working. I decided to run an Error Check on my D drive to see if there were any problems. Unfortunately, the problem was unresolved, and I encountered a new problem. Every time I...
  3. How do I get my D drive to be listed on Defragment and Optimize Drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get my D drive to be listed on Defragment and Optimize Drives?: Lately I have been experiencing trouble with my D drive. Some programs installed have not been working. I decided to run an Error Check on my D drive to see if there were any problems. Unfortunately, the problem was unresolved, and I encountered a new problem. Every time I...
  4. How do I get my D drive to be listed on Defragment and Optimize Drives?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do i add a drive to my storage pool ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i add a drive to my storage pool ?: so i aim trying to get a drive in a storage pool but i get an error that says: close all appilications that are accessing the drive, and then try again acces is denied 0x00000005i closed everything on my computer only the storage pool app openbutt i get the same answer.does...
  6. How do i add a drive to my storage pool ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i add a drive to my storage pool ?: so i aim trying to get a drive in a storage pool but i get an error that says: close all appilications that are accessing the drive, and then try again acces is denied 0x00000005i closed everything on my computer only the storage pool app openbutt i get the same answer.does...
  7. How do i add a drive to my storage pool ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How do I defragment my hard drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I defragment my hard drive?: How do I defragment my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-defragment-my-hard-drive/b51b7743-4b63-4ec4-b091-e395062e3018
  9. How often should I defragment my hard drive?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How often should I defragment my hard drive?: I hear that defragmenting shortens the life span of a hard drive. Is this true? Also, how often should I defrag? Windows has schedules for weekly and monthly optimizations, which is better? Or should I just manually perform it whenever defragmentation reaches a certain...
  10. Do I need to defrag my Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Do I need to defrag my Hard Drive?: I have this SSD hard drive: Samsung SSD 650 Series 2.5" SATA 120GB | for Business Do I need to defrag it? If so, what do I use to defrag it and how often? 27676