Windows 10: How do I delete a "work or school" account from WIndows 10?

Discus and support How do I delete a "work or school" account from WIndows 10? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have "work or school" account info on my Windows 10 machine from a company I formerly worked for. That account has been closed, but it still appears... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DennisO'Neill-361, Mar 16, 2020.

1. How do I delete a "work or school" account from WIndows 10?

I have "work or school" account info on my Windows 10 machine from a company I formerly worked for. That account has been closed, but it still appears in Settings/Email & Accounts. When I clock on it, the Manage button comes up, but when I click it, it takes me to https://login.microsoftonline.com and asks me to login. Since the account had been closed, I can't logon.

Windows is periodically telling me there's something wrong with the account and I need to fix the problem.

How do I make the account go away?

Thanks,

Dennis

:)

DennisO'Neill-361, Mar 16, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Fix "Work or School account problem" after deleting an e-mail account.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate the efforts taken by you in resolving the issue. I understand that you are receiving an error related to your email account. I’ll certainly assist you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

• When you say “I deleted the e-mail account” do you mean deleting the Microsoft account or deleting the account from your computer?
    • Are you using a Microsoft account to login to the computer?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

1. Press Windows logo key + I, to open
      Settings.
    2. Click on Accounts, and select
      Access work or school
      from the left pane.
    3. Now, click on the email account and select
      Disconnect
    4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

If this doesn’t work, you may want to try converting the account to a local account and see if that helps. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows logo key + I, to open
      Settings.
    2. Click on Accounts and select
      Your info
      from the left pane.
    3. Click on Sign in with a local account instead.
    4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 16, 2020
  3. Zakin Win User
    Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown How do I delete a "work or school" account from WIndows 10? :(

Zakin, Mar 16, 2020
  4. How do I delete a "work or school" account from WIndows 10?

Can't remove a Work or School account from Windows 10

I found I could not delete the work or school account, because it was likely controlled by a domain controller, which I could no longer log onto.

I found the solution below DOES work, as described by the user Pvandamcom2

Steps:

- In Control Panel, User Accounts, select your account

- Select "instead log on with a local account" and follow the steps

- Then logon, go back to accounts, and go to Access to work and school account

- Click Disconnect for the Work or School Account. The work account dissappeared

- Last step, go back and change logon to be with Microsoft Account instead of
    local account

The work account is no longer displayed

Gary in San Diego, Mar 16, 2020
Thema:

How do I delete a "work or school" account from WIndows 10?

1. How do I delete a "work or school" account from WIndows 10? - Similar Threads - delete school account

2. How to delete invisible school/work account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete invisible school/work account: Hey I'm new but I am extremely frustrated. I just completely factory reset my laptop yes even the drive has been cleaned and so i was setting up my laptop, I signed into my regular Microsoft account and then attempted to sign into my work/school account, i got an error...
  3. How to delete invisible school/work account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to delete invisible school/work account: Hey I'm new but I am extremely frustrated. I just completely factory reset my laptop yes even the drive has been cleaned and so i was setting up my laptop, I signed into my regular Microsoft account and then attempted to sign into my work/school account, i got an error...
  4. How do I remove a "Work or School" account from Windows 11?

How do I remove a "Work or School" account from Windows 11?: If I go to Settings > Accounts > Email & Accounts, there is a "Work or School" account, but no option to remove it. However, there is an option to remove my personal Microsoft account in the same menu, after creating a local account.In other words, I think the instructions at...
  5. How do I remove a "Work or School" account from Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I remove a "Work or School" account from Windows 11?: If I go to Settings > Accounts > Email & Accounts, there is a "Work or School" account, but no option to remove it. However, there is an option to remove my personal Microsoft account in the same menu, after creating a local account.In other words, I think the instructions at...
  6. How do I delete an unused school account? Help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I delete an unused school account? Help!: Some years ago I was a guest lecturer at a University, and it seems that they created a school account for me. This is moribund. I keep getting nag screens every hour or so to connect to this account. I have tried to log in, but no password I know works. I have tried to...
  7. How do I delete an unused school account? Help!

How do I delete an unused school account? Help!: Some years ago I was a guest lecturer at a University, and it seems that they created a school account for me. This is moribund. I keep getting nag screens every hour or so to connect to this account. I have tried to log in, but no password I know works. I have tried to...
  8. Remove a deleted Work or School account from Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove a deleted Work or School account from Windows 10: I have a Microsoft account that has been deleted and no longer exists. Unfortunately, my Windows 10 PC has remembered this account, and I get frequent notifications from Windows to tell me that there is a problem with the account. I need to remove this account from Windows.I...
  9. How to delete work or school account from Windows 10

How to delete work or school account from Windows 10: A while back my ex had added her school account to my computer so she could use office 365. Then a few months ago I started getting an error notification saying that one of more of my accounts had a problem and needed to be updated. When I checked I saw that it was my ex's...
  10. How do I disconnect a work or school account?

How do I disconnect a work or school account?: I have a Surface pro 5 with my own microsoft account as the administrator account. However, there is also a work or school account connected to my laptop. Whenever I try to disconnect the account, a box pops up saying "This work or school account cannot be removed by system...