Windows 10: How do I delete a zombie Windows folder?

Discus and support How do I delete a zombie Windows folder? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I somehow created a folder that I cannot delete. While extracting files from several RAR archives to a new destination folder, I somehow -I thought-... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by McMike, Feb 6, 2021.

1. McMike Win User

How do I delete a zombie Windows folder?

I somehow created a folder that I cannot delete. While extracting files from several RAR archives to a new destination folder, I somehow -I thought- managed to create two folders with the same name. It turned out one folder name had a trailing space character at the end and one did not but I did not realize this right away.

I tried to delete both files, one went to the recycle bin but on the second I got a message that the folder didn't exist. After some trial and error I finally figured out the folder name has a space character at the end but that knowledge has not helped me find a way to delete the folder.

When I try to delete the folder in Windows Explorer now, I get the normal "Are you sure" confirmation dialog but then Windows comes back saying it could not find the item, it is no longer located in the folder.

When I try to rename the folder by deleting the trailing space character at the end, Windows tells me that the source and destination file names are the same. When I try to rename the folder to a totally new file name, Windows says it "cannot find this item".

It shows up as a File Folder type file in the directory. I can open the folder by double clicking on the icon. I can save a text file there with Notepad++ but get a message that "The directory name is invalid" when I double click on the file to reopen in Notepad++.

I've even tried using the old DOS RMDIR in the CMD window but got the "not found" message back.

Any suggestions on how to remove this folder are appreciated.

:)

McMike, Feb 6, 2021

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused How do I delete a zombie Windows folder? :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well How do I delete a zombie Windows folder? :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Feb 6, 2021
  3. Anusha Win User
    C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink How do I delete a zombie Windows folder? ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Feb 6, 2021
  4. RoboX Win User

Windows 8 - delete windows folders in another drive

I have the problem (from Windows 8) to delete the folders windows and programs on a secondary disk on which it was 7 .... know how to get full control to delete those folders?

RoboX, Feb 6, 2021
Thema:

1. How do I delete a zombie Windows folder? - Similar Threads - delete zombie folder

2. How do I get rid of Zombie icons?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get rid of Zombie icons?: I have two issues with Zombie icons.1 There are about 35 icons mostly **.msg but a few **.ppt and **.exe and 7 folders containing the same sort of files that I have placed in the Recycle Bin and then have Emptied the Recycle Bin whenever I add a new one to be deleted. About...
  3. How do I get rid of Zombie icons?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get rid of Zombie icons?: I have two issues with Zombie icons.1 There are about 35 icons mostly **.msg but a few **.ppt and **.exe and 7 folders containing the same sort of files that I have placed in the Recycle Bin and then have Emptied the Recycle Bin whenever I add a new one to be deleted. About...
  4. How do I delete this folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I delete this folder?: Yesterday, I copied Windows Folder, but I'm stuck. How do I delete this?On DATA D: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-this-folder/72e9625d-cc3e-4d1a-bbea-8a663de7576f
  5. How do I delete this folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I delete this folder?: Yesterday, I copied Windows Folder, but I'm stuck. How do I delete this?On DATA D: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-this-folder/72e9625d-cc3e-4d1a-bbea-8a663de7576f
  6. How do I delete this folder?

7. How Do I Delete Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How Do I Delete Folders: Greatings, today I was cleaning up my gear and then I saw that it has some folders of programs that i was uninstalled recently, some of this files wasn't able to delete as the normal ways like just clicking delete button or SHIFT + Delete. I dont have a clear ask for this but...
  8. How Do I Delete Folders

How Do I Delete Folders: Greatings, today I was cleaning up my gear and then I saw that it has some folders of programs that i was uninstalled recently, some of this files wasn't able to delete as the normal ways like just clicking delete button or SHIFT + Delete. I dont have a clear ask for this but...
  9. How do I delete residue folders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I delete residue folders?: Hello, I installed a game through Xbox (beta) on my second HDD disk. After I decided to delete it, some folders appeared there and they cannot be deleted. [ATTACH] Even after I switched the settings back. [ATTACH] It's really annoying because the files eat 80GB of my...
  10. How do I delete old Windows folders???

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I delete old Windows folders???: Okay this is a hard question because I have been trying to do this for a while. I have two old Windows folders - 40 gig of wasted space. Here's what I have done: 1. renamed them 2. tried many times to delete them (or some of them). 3. removed "trusted installer" as the owner...