Windows 10: How do I delete an admin user that I have mistakenly created

Discus and support How do I delete an admin user that I have mistakenly created in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I had an admin user setup on my other laptop. I converted it to a standard user but before that I mistakenly put in an email address that was quite... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Naveed Siddiqui, Jun 12, 2020.

1. How do I delete an admin user that I have mistakenly created

I had an admin user setup on my other laptop. I converted it to a standard user but before that I mistakenly put in an email address that was quite similar to mine and made that account as admin.

I am in a fix now, where the admin rights to my computer belong to someone I dont know and all I am left is with a standard user account that I can access.

Is there any way this can be reinstated?

:)

Naveed Siddiqui, Jun 12, 2020

2. I can't create a New User Profile that is Not Corrupt! Please Help!

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in creating the new user profile on your device. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

As a work around, I suggest you to enable the built-in administrator account, log-in with the admin account to create a new user profile and check if you are able to check. This will let us know if the issue persists with user account or the operating system.

Step 1: Follow the steps to enable Built-in admin account.

Enable Built-in administrator.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.
    • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open
      Command Prompt
    • Type the following command and hit Enter:
    • net user administrator /active: yes (Check for the spaces)
    4. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.  

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done. 

Step 2: Refer to the articles to create a test user account/ Microsoft account respectively.

For Local account: Create a local user account in Windows 10

For Microsoft account: Help with Microsoft account

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of creating new user profile for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 12, 2020
  3. lynnmay10 Win User
    Go Back Windows 7 - error - must delete admin account

HI

Again I appreciate your effort to assist - but sadly again this does not solve my situation

I have time left on my 30 days - the return to windows 7 option is working but stops at the point of getting ready telling me I have to delete the Admin account (I apparently created this as a part of the upgrade process)

None of the instructions given allow me to - I have deleted the account in the family & other users section

There is no option to delete the admin account (that I can see)

I was given these as alternative suggestions - but they don't work either

Method 2

Please go to the registry editor and do the following steps:

• Click +, to open run command. Type "regedit" and click enter.
    • Create a back of the registry. Click on Hkey and go to the File Tab, press Export and save it to your desired your location.
    • Go to the provided path HKey_LocalMachine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.
    • In the profile list you will find a few SID's please find the one related to the deleted user account and delete it.
    To know which sid is related to the User Account you wish to delete just go to a particular S-1-5series and on the right side look for ProfileImagePath, you will notice c:/users/User_Account_Name.

- when I highlight the account the delete button is greyed out

Method 3:

If you have enabled Built in admin account, please follow the steps below to disable Built in admin.

• Press Windows + X key.
    • From the jump menu select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type net user administrator /active:no and hit enter.

lynnmay10, Jun 12, 2020
  4. Steve_809 Win User

How do I delete an admin user that I have mistakenly created

Unknown User Account created after upgrading to windows 10. It comes back if I delete it.

Original Title: Unknown User Account

Hello,

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 I am seeing an account that I did NOT create. So I deleted it by going into Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > User Accounts > Manage Accounts then I click on the unknown user account and delete it. That said.... It
    comes back. I have also followed the below suggestions from other posts and still does not seem to work.

Let’s try simple steps and check if the user account is detecting and try removing it.

• Press Windows key + R, type netplwiz and press Enter.

• Check if the user account is appearing on the list.

• Click on user account and click on Remove. (If user account appear on the list).
    Please advise.

Thank you

Steve_809, Jun 12, 2020
Thema:

How do I delete an admin user that I have mistakenly created

1. How do I delete an admin user that I have mistakenly created - Similar Threads - delete admin user

2. how do I create a new admin password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I create a new admin password: I had been using my PIN for sign on with administrator access. I had to restore my PC and when it completed my PIN had gone. The PC and I are getting on in years so I can't remember the password and the hint isn't working as it should. There was no other administrator. Now I...
  3. usmt.ppkg mistakenly deleted, what should I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usmt.ppkg mistakenly deleted, what should I do?: Hi, I was trying to clean up some space for my C drive, and after a careless operation, I mistakenly deleted the usmt.ppkg in the folder of C: recovery/customizations that weigh more or less 3-4 GB, after I checked some forums and websites I realized I have really messed...
  4. usmt.ppkg mistakenly deleted, what should I do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usmt.ppkg mistakenly deleted, what should I do?: Hi, I was trying to clean up some space for my C drive, and after a careless operation, I mistakenly deleted the usmt.ppkg in the folder of C: recovery/customizations that weigh more or less 3-4 GB, after I checked some forums and websites I realized I have really messed...
  5. usmt.ppkg mistakenly deleted, what should I do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Deleted Admin Account and I have no other User Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Deleted Admin Account and I have no other User Account: I have a Windows 10 laptop. I had not used my laptop for a month and they screen read password had expired. Since I had forgotten the password so I was not able to set a new password. I did the whole password reset process- System image recovery - utilman account...
  7. how do I delete a user

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how do I delete a user: how do I delete a user https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-a-user/970575ba-2e52-432d-81a4-2f5dc17f1d0f
  8. How do I delete admin password?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I delete admin password?: I want to play games on my computer, but don't have the password to enter. Please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-admin-password/8ab8e0be-37f4-4dfc-941e-c1aabf05393d
  9. I have 7 users in my Users folder. How do I delete the user-created ones?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have 7 users in my Users folder. How do I delete the user-created ones?: One folder is Administrator. One folder is Public. One folder is [local account]. This is my current and only available login, the one I want to keep. Two folders begin with defaultuser, one of which has the name of my machine. Two folders begin with the first five...
  10. How do I create a non Admin A/C?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I create a non Admin A/C?: How do I create a non Admin A/C? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-create-a-non-admin-ac/a403c426-b7cb-4b06-a29b-66d62c5a9120