Windows 10: How do I delete an old OneDrive folder?

Discus and support How do I delete an old OneDrive folder? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; OneDrive was unable to complete a sync. After wasting too much time jumping through mindless hoops with Microsoft OneDrive support, I unlinked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jaygourley, Aug 29, 2020.

1. How do I delete an old OneDrive folder?

OneDrive was unable to complete a sync. After wasting too much time jumping through mindless hoops with Microsoft OneDrive support, I unlinked OneDrive and then relinked it to cache to a new location. So OneDrive works fine now. But I'm left with a large legacy folder that I'd like to temporarily rename and later delete. But Windows won't let me. It says "The action cannot be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program. Close the folder or file and try again." The error window is useless since I don't know how to even identify which file or folder is open much less how to close it. I'm hesitant to be too aggressive in trying to rename the folder because I don't want to do anything that might affect the OneDrive relationship that's working in the new file folder.

:)

jaygourley, Aug 29, 2020

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused How do I delete an old OneDrive folder? :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well How do I delete an old OneDrive folder? :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Aug 29, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Aug 29, 2020
  4. TarAn_D Win User

How do I delete an old OneDrive folder?

Move the OneDrive Folder

Move the OneDrive Folder in Windows 10

When you set up OneDrive to sync with your computer, a folder C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive will be created to store the contents. XXXX denotes your username. To move this folder to another location follow these simple steps:

1. Unlink OneDrive from your PC:

• Go to the taskbar notification area
    • Right-click on the OneDrive icon
    • Select settings
    • Click: Unlink this PC
    2. Delete the C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive folder

3. Create a new folder (target folder) for OneDrive contents, e.g. D:\OneDrive

4. Create Directory Junction for the new folder

• In the search area of the taskbar type CMD and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter
    • In the command window type
    mklink /J C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive D:\OneDrive

adjusting it to your specific username and selection of the target folder

5. Link again OneDrive to your PC using the OneDrive icon in the taskbar notification area

TarAn_D, Aug 29, 2020
Thema:

How do I delete an old OneDrive folder?

1. How do I delete an old OneDrive folder? - Similar Threads - delete old OneDrive

2. How do I delete my old WindowsApp Folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I delete my old WindowsApp Folder?: Hello, I've reset my pc before and now when I try to move or download a windows app to my E drive it tells me it needs to delete the old folder to do so. When trying to do that it tells me the operation did not complete successfully and gives me an error code of 0x80070002....
  3. How do I delete my old WindowsApp Folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I delete my old WindowsApp Folder?: Hello, I've reset my pc before and now when I try to move or download a windows app to my E drive it tells me it needs to delete the old folder to do so. When trying to do that it tells me the operation did not complete successfully and gives me an error code of 0x80070002....
  4. How do I delete this folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I delete this folder?: Yesterday, I copied Windows Folder, but I'm stuck. How do I delete this?On DATA D: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-this-folder/72e9625d-cc3e-4d1a-bbea-8a663de7576f
  5. How do I delete my old WindowsApp Folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I delete my old WindowsApp Folder?: Hi, I have recently upgraded my pc and moved my second hard drive from my old pc to my new one. I put in a new C drive with more space so I don't need to install games from the Microsoft store onto my hard drive. I reinstalled all my games but cannot find a way to delete...
  6. how do i delete an old Windowsapp folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do i delete an old Windowsapp folder: My old laptop broke and i had a windows app folder on my :D i have a new pc now and i cant delete it i read tutorials and they all did not work submitted by /u/Agreeable_Ad_7313 [link] [comments]...
  7. I deleted the onedrive folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I deleted the onedrive folder: I deleted the onedrive folder because it was annoying and i dindt want it. But soon i realized that it actually contaid my desktop files and more. I dont really care about desktop files but wheneve i open something wit a onedrive sync logo on it it just give me an error. How...
  8. how do i delete onedrive folder FOR GOOD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do i delete onedrive folder FOR GOOD: I've tried several methods to delete the onedrive folder and it always reappears how do you delete for good? It must be possible. Why does it reappear? This is MY computer!!!!!!!...
  9. Not deleting old OneDrive folders - rmdir is missing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Not deleting old OneDrive folders - rmdir is missing: On my Win 10 Pro 64-bit, I ran autoruns. I get these entries together showing that they are not being run because rmdir is missing:"HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce" "" "" "" "5/15/2016 12:11 PM" "" + "Uninstall...
  10. How do I delete old Windows folders???

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I delete old Windows folders???: Okay this is a hard question because I have been trying to do this for a while. I have two old Windows folders - 40 gig of wasted space. Here's what I have done: 1. renamed them 2. tried many times to delete them (or some of them). 3. removed "trusted installer" as the owner...