Windows 10: How do I delete old Windows folders???

Discus and support How do I delete old Windows folders??? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Okay this is a hard question because I have been trying to do this for a while. I have two old Windows folders - 40 gig of wasted space. Here's what I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by theaudioanalyst, Sep 26, 2016.

1. How do I delete old Windows folders???

Okay this is a hard question because I have been trying to do this for a while. I have two old Windows folders - 40 gig of wasted space. Here's what I have done: 1. renamed them 2. tried many times to delete them (or some of them). 3. removed "trusted installer" as the owner and gave it to me 4. placed my user id and "users" as the only two that could do anything with the folders and given both all functions. The result is that Windows says I have to get permission from me to delete the folders. Suggestions please?

:)

theaudioanalyst, Sep 26, 2016
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

how do i delete an old corrupt Administrative account?

We appreciate the information that you have provided. Since you're unable to delete a user account under your family settings, we suggest that you visit this

article
    . From there, you'll see how to disable or delete a user profile in Windows.

Kindly update us with the results and if you have further queries, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Sep 26, 2016
  3. how do i delete an old corrupt Administrative account?

how do i delete an old corrupt Administrative account?

someone from microsoft switched over my regular administrative account to OWNER now i have 3 administrative accounts 2 good and 1 bad--

i think i should delete the corrupt as she tried to use it and when it could not be fixed (I warned her several times) it almost shut me down-i cannot figure out how to change back from OWNER to the administrative account i was using (I see no difference)
    but as it is working I can leave it this way I guess, but I feel I should get rid of the corrupt Administrative account before someone tries to touch it again-pls help

Moved From: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings

FranciscaMesiano, Sep 26, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

How do I delete old Windows folders???

Clean up under Admin tools.

bro67, Sep 26, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    Folders with the name 'Windows.old' are created by the system when you upgrade from one version of windows to a new one. These are used to hold your original system files should you wish to roll back to your previous version. the major Windows 10 updates (the Fall Update last November and now the Anniversary Update) are actually a full install of the revised OS and also create Windows.old folders.

These should have been automatically deleted when the 30-day (or 10-day for the AU) roll-back period expired. If this hasn't happened or you want to delete them earlier than that, then use Windows' built-in Disk Clean-Up app. Either run it as Administrator or run it normally then click the 'Clean up system files' button. NB: if you have renamed these folders, put back their original names first or it may not find them.

6. bobfrost Win User
    This doesn't always work. Sometimes the computer is still using files in the Windows.old subfolders, and it will not delete them if they are in use. So I've had to resort to good old command line delete with Windows shutdown. Then when you restart, Windows finds some replacements for those deleted files.

Bob Frost

bobfrost, Sep 26, 2016
  7. prikker Win User
    Windows old is removed automatically after a month. I thought?

prikker, Sep 26, 2016
  8. Bree New Member

Windows old should be removed automatically (BTW: for the AU that's now just 10 days) but (particularly for the original 10240) I've seen cases where that failed to take place. A manual Disk Clean-Up was needed to remove mine last July.

9. bobfrost Win User
    I don't believe that is the case if the new Windows10 is still using some files in the Windows.old subfolders. In my case twice, only shutting down windows and using the command line delete on those files, solved the problem for me. I don't think Disk Clean can remove files that are still in use. Not sure why Windows was still using one or two of the files in Windows.old, but only the unused files were removed in my cases.)

bob Frost

bobfrost, Sep 26, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    Yes it is still the case with Windows 10. Nothing has changed in cleaning out under System Cleanup in the Cleanup utility.

bro67, Sep 27, 2016
  11. Kbird Win User
    CCleaner also has an option for remove Old Windows Installation ......in the Advance Section , which has worked for me in the Past.

KB

Kbird, Sep 27, 2016
  12. Bree New Member
    Why on earth would windows still be using files in the windows.old folder? (no, don't answer that, I'm just expressing amazement that something so obviously stupid should be allowed to occur). It might help explain why @nIGHTmAYOR and @TairikuOkami are having so much trouble in this thread, though.
    Residual windows.old folder despite everything that comes to mind

13. essenbe Win User

essenbe, Sep 27, 2016
  14. Bree New Member
    If you read the subsequent 13 pages of replies in that tutorial you will find a small number of people reported the same problem as here - some files cannot be deleted by the methods in the tutorial because they are in use. See post #120 where the offered solution was to disable a particular device in Device Manager and post #124 that confirmed that this worked, here:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...tml#post793493

15. essenbe Win User
    So, your solution is don't even try?

essenbe, Sep 27, 2016
Thema:

1. How do I delete old Windows folders??? - Similar Threads - delete old folders

2. How do I delete my old WindowsApp Folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I delete my old WindowsApp Folder?: Hello, I've reset my pc before and now when I try to move or download a windows app to my E drive it tells me it needs to delete the old folder to do so. When trying to do that it tells me the operation did not complete successfully and gives me an error code of 0x80070002....
  3. How do I delete my old WindowsApp Folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I delete my old WindowsApp Folder?: Hello, I've reset my pc before and now when I try to move or download a windows app to my E drive it tells me it needs to delete the old folder to do so. When trying to do that it tells me the operation did not complete successfully and gives me an error code of 0x80070002....
  4. How do I delete this folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I delete this folder?: Yesterday, I copied Windows Folder, but I'm stuck. How do I delete this?On DATA D: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-this-folder/72e9625d-cc3e-4d1a-bbea-8a663de7576f
  5. How do I delete this folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I delete this folder?: Yesterday, I copied Windows Folder, but I'm stuck. How do I delete this?On DATA D: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-this-folder/72e9625d-cc3e-4d1a-bbea-8a663de7576f
  6. How do I delete this folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How do I delete my old WindowsApp Folder?

How do I delete my old WindowsApp Folder?: Hi, I have recently upgraded my pc and moved my second hard drive from my old pc to my new one. I put in a new C drive with more space so I don't need to install games from the Microsoft store onto my hard drive. I reinstalled all my games but cannot find a way to delete...
  8. how do i delete an old Windowsapp folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do i delete an old Windowsapp folder: My old laptop broke and i had a windows app folder on my :D i have a new pc now and i cant delete it i read tutorials and they all did not work submitted by /u/Agreeable_Ad_7313 [link] [comments]...
  9. How do I delete an old OneDrive folder?

How do I delete an old OneDrive folder?: OneDrive was unable to complete a sync. After wasting too much time jumping through mindless hoops with Microsoft OneDrive support, I unlinked OneDrive and then relinked it to cache to a new location. So OneDrive works fine now. But I'm left with a large legacy folder...
  10. How to delete old windows file/folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to delete old windows file/folder: Hi, I just upgraded my Windows 8 OS to Windows 10 and it has left : Old.windows folder with many included files on my Harddrive. I have already backed up and transferred all the files I wanted to keep from that old version and wish to delete that file and all that is...