Windows 10: How do I delete old Windows folders???

Discus and support How do I delete old Windows folders??? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So, your solution is don't even try? No, by all means try the methods in the tutorial, 99% of the time they work as MS designed them to. It's just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by theaudioanalyst, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Bree New Member

How do I delete old Windows folders???

No, by all means try the methods in the tutorial, 99% of the time they work as MS designed them to. It's just that on a few occasions they have been reported to have failed on one or more files. Then one solution would be to track down the file (often a driver) that's in use in the windows.old, locate the device in Device Manager that loads it and disable it. After that Disk Clean-up (or even just File Explorer) should be able to delete it.

The real solution would be to sort out why on earth windows is still loading a driver that it has previously consigned a folder specifically designed for archiving an old system you're not supposed to be using any more!

2. essenbe Win User

The driver is usually the Intel Display Audio driver. Disable it in Device manager, take ownership of the Files, delete them, clean out the Recycle bin and re enable the driver in Device manager. Or, you should be able to Take ownership and delete them in safe mode and empty the recycle bin.

We still haven't heard back from the OP, and until that happens we can't accomplish very much.

As for why it works that way, I have no idea. Microsoft would be the the only one who does, as far as I know.

How do I delete old Windows folders??? [​IMG]

essenbe, Sep 27, 2016
  3. Here's what I have done:
    1. renamed them
    2. tried many times to delete them (or some of them).
    3. removed "trusted installer" as the owner and gave it to me
    4. placed my user id and "users" as the only two that could do anything with the folders and given both all functions.

I do not remember what the folder names are and who had what permissions! This is where I am at. Please see above!

theaudioanalyst, Sep 28, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

Please try the options in this tutorial Windows.old Folder - Delete in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

If that does not work. This is how to take ownership of files Take Ownership - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums. Then Try what is posted in Post # 15 above.

1. Go to device manager and disable the Intel(R) Display Audio Driver, if you have it.

2. Go to the Windows.old folder and take ownership

3 Delete the Folder.

4 Empty the Recycle Bin.

5. Go back to Device Manager and enable the same driver you disabled.

essenbe, Sep 28, 2016
  5. Okay option 2 kind of worked. I ran
    ==> attrib -r -a -s -h c:\windows.old /s /d AND
    ==> rd /s /q %SystemDrive%\windows.old
    the 1st command worked fine and the 2nd gave 100k+ of access denied
    Then, I ran Disk Cleanup which had not done anything before. Then I ran "Clean up System Files" which also had done nothing before.

And now this time "Clean up System Files" deleted one of the folders. HIP, HIP HOORAY!
    Then I renamed the other folder windows.old and ran "Clean up System Files" and it deleted the 20 Gig folder. WOW!!!!!
    Thanks Kind sir, THANKS

theaudioanalyst, Sep 28, 2016
  6. essenbe Win User
    You're quite welcome. I am happy things worked for you.

essenbe, Sep 28, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    Sometimes going old school does the trick.

bro67, Sep 28, 2016
  8. How do I delete old Windows folders???

Deleting the actual folder windows.old or windows.old(1) may render a break in your file integrity. Run sfc /scannow to confirm that you have not damaged your file system. The contents of the win...old folders may just be left over artifacts from current and past installations and possibly may be deleted without any file system integrity issues. The actual folders may be deleted without some kind of fault.

lopedoggie, Sep 28, 2016
  9. Probe Win User
    Why not just use the good ol...shoot, what's it called ....I cant think of the name of it now. Its icon is a "magic wand"? It's a little program that will delete ANY file, no matter what. It's an older file/folder shredder, and has always worked on deleting the windows.old for me. Anyone remember the name? It's buggin me now....

Probe, Oct 25, 2016
  10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

I think you mean "Unlocker"

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 25, 2016
  11. XweAponX Win User
    I use "Unlocker Pro" version 1.9.2, you can get it from Major Geeks. Shut off AV, because there is a virus in the installer, when you install it, use "custom install" and shut off the included "Delta Toolbar" which is the Babylon Virus. It;s a good tool that unfortunately had that malware attached from a distributor. Most AV see all toolbars as viruses now, so even things like CCleaner which has Google Toolbar will be blocked by Eset/Avira/Etc.

XweAponX, Oct 25, 2016
  12. XweAponX Win User
    Yah, it;s the only effective tool for deleting folders and files that are locked. The installer has the Babylon Virus, but it is easily avoided when using "custom install". A lot of people won't install this because of that issue, but I can guarantee the app is safe once you opt out of "Delta Toolbar".

XweAponX, Oct 25, 2016
  13. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

In the future it won't be needed to install third party apps to delete Windows.old folders.
    The latest Insider Preview release already does a great job at removing it using Disk Cleanup > Clean System Files.

Never spotted any virus with Unlocker though. My version must be pretty old. *Smile

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 25, 2016
  14. XweAponX Win User
    :lol

Search your HDD for any files named "Babylon" or "Delta", should be able to use Revo to get rid of it if you have Delta Toolbar installed.

But you would know if you had it, popups, apps you didn't install, and IE extensions show up quickly. But it spreads.

I had a laptop here, had thousands of various sized ".a29d" and "ReadMe.hta" files all through every folder on the system.

XweAponX, Oct 25, 2016
  15. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Don't worry. My systems are as clean as the proverbial whistle.*Tongue
    The version of Unlocker I used was 1.9.2.
    Uninstalled it as I don't really need it.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 25, 2016
Thema:

1. How do I delete old Windows folders??? - Similar Threads - delete old folders

2. How do I delete my old WindowsApp Folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I delete my old WindowsApp Folder?: Hello, I've reset my pc before and now when I try to move or download a windows app to my E drive it tells me it needs to delete the old folder to do so. When trying to do that it tells me the operation did not complete successfully and gives me an error code of 0x80070002....
  3. How do I delete my old WindowsApp Folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I delete my old WindowsApp Folder?: Hello, I've reset my pc before and now when I try to move or download a windows app to my E drive it tells me it needs to delete the old folder to do so. When trying to do that it tells me the operation did not complete successfully and gives me an error code of 0x80070002....
  4. How do I delete this folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I delete this folder?: Yesterday, I copied Windows Folder, but I'm stuck. How do I delete this?On DATA D: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-this-folder/72e9625d-cc3e-4d1a-bbea-8a663de7576f
  5. How do I delete this folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I delete this folder?: Yesterday, I copied Windows Folder, but I'm stuck. How do I delete this?On DATA D: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-this-folder/72e9625d-cc3e-4d1a-bbea-8a663de7576f
  6. How do I delete this folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How do I delete my old WindowsApp Folder?

How do I delete my old WindowsApp Folder?: Hi, I have recently upgraded my pc and moved my second hard drive from my old pc to my new one. I put in a new C drive with more space so I don't need to install games from the Microsoft store onto my hard drive. I reinstalled all my games but cannot find a way to delete...
  8. how do i delete an old Windowsapp folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do i delete an old Windowsapp folder: My old laptop broke and i had a windows app folder on my :D i have a new pc now and i cant delete it i read tutorials and they all did not work submitted by /u/Agreeable_Ad_7313 [link] [comments]...
  9. How do I delete an old OneDrive folder?

How do I delete an old OneDrive folder?: OneDrive was unable to complete a sync. After wasting too much time jumping through mindless hoops with Microsoft OneDrive support, I unlinked OneDrive and then relinked it to cache to a new location. So OneDrive works fine now. But I'm left with a large legacy folder...
  10. How to delete old windows file/folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to delete old windows file/folder: Hi, I just upgraded my Windows 8 OS to Windows 10 and it has left : Old.windows folder with many included files on my Harddrive. I have already backed up and transferred all the files I wanted to keep from that old version and wish to delete that file and all that is...