Windows 10: How do I delete the Windows and Program Files folders of a Windows install from within a...

Discus and support How do I delete the Windows and Program Files folders of a Windows install from within a... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; This is a very specific problem but let me explain. I have two drives in my laptop: a 240GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. The 1TB originally had a Windows 8.1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TreatmentForYourRash, Oct 30, 2019.

1. How do I delete the Windows and Program Files folders of a Windows install from within a...

This is a very specific problem but let me explain.

I have two drives in my laptop: a 240GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. The 1TB originally had a Windows 8.1 install on it until I got the SSD, upon which I installed Windows 10. At this point, I thoroughly broke the Windows 8.1 install on the HDD (deleted the ESP, recovery partition and deleted a whole bunch of files to essentially make that Windows install unbootable without a lot of errors) but now I face a new problem: the following folders absolutely refuse to be removed.

These are the folders:

• $WINDOWS.~BT
    • $Windows.~WS
    • Program Files
    • Program Files (x86)
    • ProgramData
    • Windows

I've changed ownership of all these folders to myself (that is, my account on the Windows 10 install) and then tried to delete them all, but Windows says I need permission from myself and, for some files, TrustedInstaller, to delete them.

I really don't want to have these files around any more. How can I get rid of them?

submitted by /u/TreatmentForYourRash
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TreatmentForYourRash, Oct 30, 2019
  2. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink How do I delete the Windows and Program Files folders of a Windows install from within a... ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Oct 30, 2019
  3. Wile E Win User
    C windows installer folder - Delete?

I have it in mine. Looking thru it, it looks like certain programs keep their installer in there. Probably not a good idea to delete it, as you might lose the ability to uninstall some programs.

Wile E, Oct 30, 2019
  4. How do I delete the Windows and Program Files folders of a Windows install from within a...

Windows installation folder

A couple of years ago, I read that Windows has a special folder that contains files used during the installation process. Also, I heard there's another folder that Windows uses as a back-up of every system file, just in case the user wants to do a system restore. Where can I find both folders and are they safe to delete?

GoFigureItOut, Oct 30, 2019
Thema:

How do I delete the Windows and Program Files folders of a Windows install from within a...

1. How do I delete the Windows and Program Files folders of a Windows install from within a... - Similar Threads - delete Program Files

2. Windows 11 - How do I delete a left over folder from a deleted program?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - How do I delete a left over folder from a deleted program?: Folder Access Denied.You need permission to perform this action.You require permission from DESKTOP - Administrator to make changes to this folder....
  3. Windows 11 - How do I delete a left over folder from a deleted program?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - How do I delete a left over folder from a deleted program?: Folder Access Denied.You need permission to perform this action.You require permission from DESKTOP - Administrator to make changes to this folder....
  4. How can I delete McAfee files from a folder called Window Apps in Program Files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I delete McAfee files from a folder called Window Apps in Program Files?: My PC awoke on its own from sleep today. There was a popup asking me to activate McAfee Web Advisor. I long ago uninstalled the McAfee program that came with my PC. I can't recall the last time I installed any new program, so I'm puzzled as to where this new installation of...
  5. How can I delete McAfee files from a folder called Window Apps in Program Files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I delete McAfee files from a folder called Window Apps in Program Files?: My PC awoke on its own from sleep today. There was a popup asking me to activate McAfee Web Advisor. I long ago uninstalled the McAfee program that came with my PC. I can't recall the last time I installed any new program, so I'm puzzled as to where this new installation of...
  6. Installing windows from within

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing windows from within: My windows 10 is not working well so i tried to reset it multiple times. Each time it showed an error at the end. So i decided to reinstall the window. If i select this nothing option will it delete everything on my Drive D as well?If yes then why can't i choose other...
  7. How to delete ''WindowsApps'' and ''Program Files'' folders?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to delete ''WindowsApps'' and ''Program Files'' folders?: Hey, I just noticed that I have two new folders on my hard drive one is called ''WindowsApps'' the other ''Program Files''. I have no permissions to read or delete them, even tho I'm the administrator. They seem to be system folders. Does anyone have an idea how to remove...
  8. Delete Windows files in Programs folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Delete Windows files in Programs folder: Hello! I just got a new SSD and want to use my old drive as bulk storage. I found it easier to just install a new copy of Windows on my new drive. I installed my essential applications and wanted to use a shortcut so I can have all my old applications. The problem is, the old...
  9. How to delete Program files, program files x86 and windows apps from previous install on...

How to delete Program files, program files x86 and windows apps from previous install on...: I recently installed Windows on an SSD and am now using the old system drive for storage. I didn't want to reformat the drive since it still has a few hundred gb of things I don't want to redownload on it. I've tried getting admin access from trustedinstaller and all that but...
  10. How do I add comments to a folder within File Explorer?

How do I add comments to a folder within File Explorer?: I have to navigate through a medium volume of folders within one folder for my work projects. It would be helpful if I could add comments within the metadata of a folder to help me organize. Posted a snip of the area I am referencing. Anyone know of a way to do this within...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remove old program files in windows