Windows 10: How do I determine what is using up disk space?

Discus and support How do I determine what is using up disk space? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Back are the days of being concerned about disk space, with the advent of SSD's. I have a primary 256GB SSD, with W10 installed (C:). I am trying to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by EricF3555, Jan 24, 2019.

1. EricF3555 Win User

How do I determine what is using up disk space?

Back are the days of being concerned about disk space, with the advent of SSD's.

I have a primary 256GB SSD, with W10 installed (CHow do I determine what is using up disk space? :). I am trying to identify how this space is being used.

Are there Windows 10 tools that will quickly and accurately show where the storage is being used?

I have set it so HIDDEN folders and files are shown.

Under THIS PC, Windows SSD (CHow do I determine what is using up disk space? :) reports "46.5 GB Free of 237GB". That means about 190GB is in use.

When I look at the folder list on C:, there are 11 top level folders. When I right click on each (some are hidden), select Properties, I get a readout of the Size on Disk. Somewhat tedious, but I can add up those sizes - they add up to 149GB. About 41 GB unaccounted for.

How can I find these 41 GB, so that I can make some decisions about what to move to the D: drive?

:)

EricF3555, Jan 24, 2019
  2. EdHans Win User

Update is stuck on step to "determine the amount of disk space required to complete the update"

A few troubleshooting steps:

• First ensure you have enough disk space to fully back up the device.
      See this article
      to determine how much free space you need.
    • If that doesn't work, run a Chkdsk c: /f on the drive. You need to launch an administrator session of the command console. This will ensure the file and directory structure are sound and the update isn't getting lost in some bad indexes. You will need to
      reboot for this to run, but it shouldn't take but 5-10 minutes to process.
    • Disable (temporarily!) your antivirus software. It could be conflicting with the Zune backup process causing it to seemingly run forever.

EdHans, Jan 24, 2019
  3. Joan Pin Win User
    disk space reduced after media creation tool

Hi Sarah,

One of the possible reasons why your disk space was reduced is due to an unallocated disk space on your partitions. For us to isolate your concern, we suggest that you check your device's partition. To do this, follow the steps provided below:

• Type Computer Management on Ask me anything and press
      Enter.
    • Select Storage and click on Disk Management.
    • Send us a screenshot.
    We look forward to your response.

Joan Pin, Jan 24, 2019
  4. How do I determine what is using up disk space?

My disk space is gone

Hi John,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Try to run theSystem Maintenance Troubleshooter.

• Press Windows key + W and type
      Troubleshooting.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• Select view all on the top left corner.

• Click System Maintenance,
      follow onscreen instructions.
    I suggest you to run Check Disk which performs an analysis of the disk. Refer to the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Command prompt (Admin).
    • Type chkdsk /f and hit enter.
    For reference:

Tips to free up drive space on your PC:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/free-up-disk-space

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jan 24, 2019
Thema:

How do I determine what is using up disk space?

1. How do I determine what is using up disk space? - Similar Threads - determine using disk

2. Slowly running out of disk space - Cannot determine what's taking up disk space - System...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slowly running out of disk space - Cannot determine what's taking up disk space - System...: I had 105GB free on my C: drive, but after installing one WU Windows Update, it dropped down to 99,9GB. There's also Microsoft.SharePoint.exe process running, and it's stuck, consuming all the disk space. Now I have 99.2GB free. I cleaned up Prefetch, Local & Windows Temp...
  3. Slowly running out of disk space - Cannot determine what's taking up disk space - System...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slowly running out of disk space - Cannot determine what's taking up disk space - System...: I had 105GB free on my C: drive, but after installing one WU Windows Update, it dropped down to 99,9GB. There's also Microsoft.SharePoint.exe process running, and it's stuck, consuming all the disk space. Now I have 99.2GB free. I cleaned up Prefetch, Local & Windows Temp...
  4. Slowly running out of disk space - Cannot determine what's taking up disk space - System...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to use compact.exe to free up disk space on Windows

in Windows 10 News
    How to use compact.exe to free up disk space on Windows: Microsoft introduced new options for the command line tool compact.exe in the Windows 10 operating system. It allows users to compress folders on the system using new algorithms to free up disk space. Unlike many other compression solutions, compact promises to have little...
  6. Low Disk Space Message What To Do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low Disk Space Message What To Do?: About a week ago I started getting notifications of Low Disk SpaceI freed up some space by uninstalling some unused programs and deleting some temporary files, how it didn't help and the notification keeps showing. It now says that I have only 3MB of free space on Drive C:,...
  7. what can i do to free up disk space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    what can i do to free up disk space: what steps do I need to take,to free up disk space. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-can-i-do-to-free-up-disk-space/4bc8559d-080a-4aac-bf70-c76769b09633
  8. What is filling up my disk space?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is filling up my disk space?: I ran disk cleanup, the total file size in my C drive is 58.2GB But my 100GB SSD has only 14GB left, any idea what is hogging the disk space? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-filling-up-my-disk-space/ceab9082-20b6-4d23-8e6a-72a6c6b6321b"
  9. how to determine what's causing 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    how to determine what's causing 100% disk usage: hi, I'm temporarily without my fairly high spec laptop and using a lower spec laptop which is really struggling. I tend to have around 8 apps open and task manager shows disk activity at 100% I don't want to close any more than I have to, but how can I determine which app is...
  10. how to determine what's causing 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Support
    how to determine what's causing 100% disk usage: hi, I'm temporarily without my fairly high spec laptop and using a lower spec laptop which is really struggling. I tend to have around 8 apps open and task manager shows disk activity at 100% I don't want to close any more than I have to, but how can I determine which app is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to determine what is eating up disk space

2. what is disk space determined by