Windows 10: How do I diagnose a dead SSD and black screen, so no way to see a BSOD

Discus and support How do I diagnose a dead SSD and black screen, so no way to see a BSOD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I suspect my SSD has died. I had been getting strange mini stalls, and finally a bunch of overlapping warnings, notices, video went streaky, etc. and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by chuckiechan, Nov 21, 2020.

1. How do I diagnose a dead SSD and black screen, so no way to see a BSOD

I suspect my SSD has died. I had been getting strange mini stalls, and finally a bunch of overlapping warnings, notices, video went streaky, etc. and finally degraded to nothing.
    In the beginning I had a series of four maybe five beeps (once) from the motherboard
    and three beeps when I was fooling with the memory.

I can get to the trouble shooting screen:
    auto repair didnt work
    restore didnt work
    and I could not get into safe mode.

i have tried taking my four sticks of memory out and trying them in different slot pairs.

I have a Windows Recovery Drive USB, but I dont know what to with it.
    also, I think I have an image on my back up if I buy a new HDD, is transferring do able?

Specs:
    Windows 10, updates are current, version unknown.
    Asrock 990FX KILLER FATALITY
    ASUS Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
    4 sticks Corsair 8mg ram 1333 mgz
    WD SSD 500G Im pretty sure.
    Corsair RM650I Power supply.

Thanks in advance.
    BTW my skills are fair, but out of date, but I do my own builds so I am somewhat competent when thing are running OK.

:)

chuckiechan, Nov 21, 2020

2. Black screen error

Hello,

There are several reasons why you are facing a black screen issue. One of these is due to outdated or incorrect device drivers. For us to figure out what's causing this, provide more details by answering the listed questions:

• Can you confirm to us if you are using a laptop or a computer?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • What exactly were you doing when the error occurred?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this? If yes, specify all of the steps that you have done.

As an initial part of troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps given on this article:

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors
    . This will help you diagnose and rectify most of the known black screen concerns.

We will wait for your response.

Dhavelyn Mer, Nov 21, 2020
  3. jds63 Win User
    Black Screen after Log on

So this is not a BSOD ? Have a Windows 10 disc or USB Flash Drive made ? How are you getting to task manager Ctrl.+Alt+Del ? Any cursor on screen ?

jds63, Nov 21, 2020
  4. Rose Cal Win User

How do I diagnose a dead SSD and black screen, so no way to see a BSOD

black screen

Hi Bart,

It is possible that you're experiencing black screen due to corrupted system files. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Are you getting any error messages?
    • What happen when you tried to login?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot black screen errors. You can choose which situation you're experiencing the error and perform the instructions.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

How do I diagnose a dead SSD and black screen, so no way to see a BSOD

1. How do I diagnose a dead SSD and black screen, so no way to see a BSOD - Similar Threads - diagnose dead SSD

2. I want to make my account private and cant see a way to do so

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to make my account private and cant see a way to do so: I wish to change the settings on my account to make it private and cannot see a way so to do;* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-make-my-account-private-and-cant-see-a/80b161db-95a8-4bbc-948e-54c7a15a9ec1
  3. I want to make my account private and cant see a way to do so

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to make my account private and cant see a way to do so: I wish to change the settings on my account to make it private and cannot see a way so to do;* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-make-my-account-private-and-cant-see-a/80b161db-95a8-4bbc-948e-54c7a15a9ec1
  4. So my screen looks dead,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    So my screen looks dead,: not like black and white or only grey black and white, like it has colors they are all just extremely faint, and when I turn vibrancy up it doesn’t do anything but distort the image even more, please help...
  5. So my screen looks dead,

So my screen looks dead,: not like black and white or only grey black and white, like it has colors they are all just extremely faint, and when I turn vibrancy up it doesn’t do anything but distort the image even more, please help...
  6. So my screen looks dead,

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. How do I fix Windows after an SSD goes dead?

How do I fix Windows after an SSD goes dead?: I had a SSD containing Windows 11 go dead so I am without a computer. I got a new drive and a USB to install windows again however windows won't install due to there being a "copy of Windows" already installed. The SSD I had it on is unplugged and unreadable to the system so...
  8. How do I fix Windows after an SSD goes dead?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I fix Windows after an SSD goes dead?: I had a SSD containing Windows 11 go dead so I am without a computer. I got a new drive and a USB to install windows again however windows won't install due to there being a "copy of Windows" already installed. The SSD I had it on is unplugged and unreadable to the system so...
  9. How do I fix Windows after an SSD goes dead?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. BSOD occurring daily - how do i diagnose the issue?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD occurring daily - how do i diagnose the issue?: My computer has all updates - running windows 10. Have been having bsod daily though each day the time it occurs gets later and later through the day. am attaching the dmp file for advice if someone can figure out what the cause is. thanks 73434