Windows 10: How do I disable a specific key on my laptop keyboard that doesn't affect an external...

Discus and support How do I disable a specific key on my laptop keyboard that doesn't affect an external... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My backspace key is phantom pressing 24/7 and it's becoming infuriating to deal with. I've searched for solutions everywhere and most of them recommend... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Phase Shift, Jan 25, 2023.

1. How do I disable a specific key on my laptop keyboard that doesn't affect an external...

My backspace key is phantom pressing 24/7 and it's becoming infuriating to deal with. I've searched for solutions everywhere and most of them recommend a program called KeyTweak, so I tried it and it disables the key on every keyboard with no option to enable it on an external keyboard so it's not really helpful at all. The backspace key is kind of an important key to have enabled on the keyboard and I already tried popping the key off and cleaning it as well as using compressed air incase of dirt being the issue which did absolutely nothing. I've already replaced my internal keyboard once alr

:)

Phase Shift, Jan 25, 2023

2. Disabling laptop keyboard

I'm not understanding this. I had to uninstall and my keyboard is still not disabled. I'm having to use an external just to be able to type bc if I don't my laptop thinks i'm pressing "t" constantly and some of the other keys such as "I" and "O" and "U" are
    funky too. Can you please go into a more detailed description of what you mean here?

questingspirit, Jan 25, 2023
  3. Disabling laptop keyboard

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

As per the description. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I suggest you follow the steps below and check if that helps:

• Press Windows + X and select
      Device Manager
      from the list.
    • Find Keyboards in the list of devices and click the arrow to expand it.
    • Right-click on the internal keyboard and click Disable. If there is no Disable option listed, click
      Uninstall.
    • Click File>Exit. Your laptop’s internal keyboard should now be disabled.
    Note: If you had to choose Uninstall instead of Disable in step 4, the keyboard will be automatically detected and re-installed if you ever have the Device Manager scan for new hardware for some reason. If that happens you’ll need to repeat this procedure
    in order to uninstall it again.

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jan 25, 2023
  4. How do I disable a specific key on my laptop keyboard that doesn't affect an external...

Windows 10 Laptop Keyboard Keys Acting Strange

Hi,

I realize that you are facing issues with the keyboard on your PC. I will try to help you with this issue.

Suggest you to plug in an external keyboard to the laptop to check if that helps.

Further you may also use the onscreen keyboard to check if that helps.

Follow these steps to launch the On-screen keyboard:

• Press Windows key + R to get the run window.

• Type “osk” and hit enter to launch the On-screen keyboard and check if this helps.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, Jan 25, 2023
Thema:

How do I disable a specific key on my laptop keyboard that doesn't affect an external...

1. How do I disable a specific key on my laptop keyboard that doesn't affect an external... - Similar Threads - disable specific key

2. How to Disable Specific Key on Keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Disable Specific Key on Keyboard: Hello,I am using HP i5 Intel iRisxe with Windows 11I want to disable Lock Key which works for Log Off like Windows Key+L. I have installed Power Toys Utility, Please guide me step by step, Thanks & RegarsJayesh Soni...
  3. How to Disable Specific Key on Keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Disable Specific Key on Keyboard: Hello,I am using HP i5 Intel iRisxe with Windows 11I want to disable Lock Key which works for Log Off like Windows Key+L. I have installed Power Toys Utility, Please guide me step by step, Thanks & RegarsJayesh Soni...
  4. How do I disable a specific key on my laptop keyboard that doesn't affect an external...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I disable a specific key on my laptop keyboard that doesn't affect an external...: My backspace key is phantom pressing 24/7 and it's becoming infuriating to deal with. I've searched for solutions everywhere and most of them recommend a program called KeyTweak, so I tried it and it disables the key on every keyboard with no option to enable it on an...
  5. How do I disable a specific key on my laptop keyboard that doesn't affect an external...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I disable a specific key on my laptop keyboard that doesn't affect an external...: My backspace key is phantom pressing 24/7 and it's becoming infuriating to deal with. I've searched for solutions everywhere and most of them recommend a program called KeyTweak, so I tried it and it disables the key on every keyboard with no option to enable it on an...
  6. How to disable a specific key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable a specific key?: Hi, I want to disable the "down arrow" key, I tried SharpKeys but it didn't work. Are there more methods to disable a key? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-a-specific-key/2cd3e324-e7ac-4c73-a1ac-9c2f1005d019
  7. How to disable a specific key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable a specific key?: Hi, I want to disable the "down arrow" key, I tried SharpKeys but it didn't work. Are there more methods to disable a key? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-a-specific-key/2cd3e324-e7ac-4c73-a1ac-9c2f1005d019
  8. How do I disable my laptop keyboard

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I disable my laptop keyboard: A few months back I needed to disable my laptop keyboard to use an external one because my laptop keyboard spams keys uncontrollably. When I disabled the device or uninstalled drivers, it would prompt me to restart - but restarting automatically reinstalls the drivers/...
  9. How do I disable my laptop's keyboard?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I disable my laptop's keyboard?: Hello , I want to get a mechanical keyboard soon for my laptop , and i want to disable the laptop's keyboard , to save battery , Because my battery will die in 10-20 minutes with the laptop unplugged . Any solution ? And i want to mention that : how do i turn on my laptop...
  10. How can I disable specific buttons on my laptop keyboard?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How can I disable specific buttons on my laptop keyboard?: I would like to disable specific buttons on my laptop's keyboard (MSI EX610). The issue: my keyboard got some liquid spilt in it and since then there is a fake wake button pressing 3-10 times per second, although I have no such button on my keyboard. I have found the...