Windows 10: How do I disable auto-login on W10

Discus and support How do I disable auto-login on W10 in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I've tried http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disab...r-in-window-8/ which some say work for 10 but it doesn't for me. I'm on x64 up to date. One... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by dancedar, Aug 23, 2015.

1. dancedar Win User

How do I disable auto-login on W10

I've tried http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disab...r-in-window-8/ which some say work for 10 but it doesn't for me. I'm on x64 up to date.

One account has a password the other doesn't, and every time I boot it it auto logs in to the one without a password - short of putting one on this (it's my mothers account & she doesn't want one) how can I stop this?

:)

dancedar, Aug 23, 2015
  2. Noël S. Win User

Automatic Login and Windows 10

I have exactly the same issue. It is frustrating to follow a link that says "Learn More" about the problem and get sent to a generic page with no answers to this problem.

Should we just disable the automatic login and then upgrade? If so, will W10 allow a similar feature?

I contacted MS Support. They recommended that I disable auto login and proceed to upgrade to Win 10.

Noël S., Aug 23, 2015
  3. Automatic Login and Windows 10

Noel,

Did it work ?

JimNickerson, Aug 23, 2015
  4. Darkmiss Win User

Run NetPLwiz from the Cortana run bar and see if the option to turn it on is there.

Darkmiss, Aug 23, 2015
  5. dancedar Win User
    No luck - A ticked checkbox for 'require password' but nothing to make it not sign in automatically.

dancedar, Aug 23, 2015
  6. brummyfan Win User
    What happens when you untick the box?

brummyfan, Aug 23, 2015
  7. dancedar Win User
    It asks me to pick a user to auto login in with every time.

dancedar, Aug 23, 2015
  8. usmc362 Win User

enter netplwiz in the run box, untick the box, click apply then enter your password and click ok. when you restart you won't have to enter your password.

usmc362, Aug 23, 2015
  9. WhyMe Win User
    @dancedar

netplwiz is correct but you are either selecting the wrong options or applying the changes in the wrong order.

Here is an article from Microsoft Community. It is for Win7 but should work fine for Win10. All the steps are important, but please pay particular attention step 5. Click on the link below

Windows 7 automatically select user at logon screen

WhyMe, Aug 23, 2015
  10. dancedar Win User
    This is the OPPOSITE of what I'm trying to do. I want to disable this.

dancedar, Aug 23, 2015
  11. dancedar Win User
    This doesn't make any difference, and does the opposite of what I want to do. If I do the steps to disable it it still happens- it's already like this and that's the problem.

dancedar, Aug 23, 2015
  12. I'm not sure if this is the same thing but....

I also have two accounts.... one is password protected and the other is not.

To start with the screen that gives me the options to both of them--- after re-starting the computer---- I must always Sign out instead of Shut down or Restart. Otherwise I will always get the last account that was active.

ventanasguy, Aug 23, 2015
  13. WhyMe Win User

What do you mean the opposite? Step 5 will make your account as the default selected account for login. But you need to do everything in right order or the changes don't work

WhyMe, Aug 23, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello dancedar, *Smile

To disable automatic sign in at startup, make sure that all accounts have a password added, and that you check the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer box in OPTION ONE of the tutorial below.

Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup

Brink, Aug 23, 2015
  15. dancedar Win User
    I *don't* want to log in automatically...

dancedar, Aug 23, 2015
Thema:

1. How do I disable auto-login on W10 - Similar Threads - disable auto login

2. How do I turn of the auto disabling of touchpad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I turn of the auto disabling of touchpad: My touchpad is getting disabled again and again if I am inactive for few mins. I have to press the left click button on the touch pad then it is getting enabled which is not and option for me since I am working on a sensitive thing where I can not perform a left click...
  3. How do I turn of the auto disabling of touchpad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I turn of the auto disabling of touchpad: My touchpad is getting disabled again and again if I am inactive for few mins. I have to press the left click button on the touch pad then it is getting enabled which is not and option for me since I am working on a sensitive thing where I can not perform a left click...
  4. How do i disable the login screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do i disable the login screen: i dont have a password but everytime i boot up my laptop i have to press the Login button then it tranfers me to the home page i dont like this cause usually i go grab a snack while my laptop is booting because it takes a while...
  5. How do i permanently disable auto updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do i permanently disable auto updates?: Me computer constantly tries to "update" windows regardless of if the "update" works or not, it does this every time i turn it on and it makes booting up my pc take ages. Most of the time it says update failed undoing changes, but a few times it "successfully updated" and...
  6. How Do I Disable WIFI Auto Connect?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How Do I Disable WIFI Auto Connect?: [ATTACH] Connect automatically is not selected, but Windows still connects to the WIFI on startup. How do I disable the WIFI auto connect when its not selected?...
  7. How can I disable auto login on a passwordless account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How can I disable auto login on a passwordless account?: I have a Windows 10 PC which I share with my dad, and while my own account is protected with a password, his is not because: he has no private stuff there, and I expect he'd have difficulty remembering a password, as his memory is very poor due to a stroke he had 8 years ago...
  8. How to disable Auto Login?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable Auto Login?: So I have two accounts on my laptop: Administrator (no password) Work Account (password-protected) How do I make it so that my laptop ALWAYS asks me to choose which account to use? From what I understand, if I shut down while using my Administrator account, it signs in...
  9. how do I disable touchpad in w10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how do I disable touchpad in w10: How do I disable the touchpad on my Samsung tablet? <contrl>f9 does not work anymore. Steve https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-disable-touchpad-in-w10/a249a572-74eb-4cec-b22a-decc07641d01
  10. Can't DISABLE auto login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't DISABLE auto login: My Microsoft login automatically logins in on 3 computers, including one that I just bought. I have never enabled auto login for the user on any computer, so I don't know why it is doing this, and I especially don't know why it starts doing on any new computer that the user...