Windows 10: How do I disable background Wi-Fi network searches on my PC (Windows 10)

Discus and support How do I disable background Wi-Fi network searches on my PC (Windows 10) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; As of yesterday, I began experience major ping spikes while gaming. I've managed to figure out what the problem is. The problem is my PC keeps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Cowjar, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Cowjar Win User

How do I disable background Wi-Fi network searches on my PC (Windows 10)

As of yesterday, I began experience major ping spikes while gaming. I've managed to figure out what the problem is. The problem is my PC keeps detecting other Wi-Fi networks for me to connect to. There are so many that my PC isn't able to detect all at once, so when my PC does eventually search (every 5 to 10 minutes) I get a big lag spike. When I ping www.google.com it looks something like this

Reply from 172.217.7.228: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=54

Reply from 172.217.7.228: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=54

Reply from 172.217.7.228: bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=54

Reply from 172.217.7.228: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=54

Reply from 172.217.7.228: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=54

Reply from 172.217.7.228: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=54

Reply from 172.217.7.228: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=54

Reply from 172.217.7.228: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=54

Reply from 172.217.7.228: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=54

Reply from 172.217.7.228: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=54

Reply from 172.217.7.228: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=54

Reply from 172.217.7.228: bytes=32 time=2602ms TTL=54

I was pinging while looking at the available networks and I saw that whenever I experienced a big spike one of the available networks would be replaced. Disabling WLAN accomplishes nothing because I am not hard wired and I'm unable to do so. I've also tried the WLAN optimizer but, that also didn't work. I was wondering if there would be some way I would be able to stay connected to my current wi-fi while disabling a background search for others. I'm not connected to the others so I am unable to forget them. Anyone assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

:)

Cowjar, Sep 12, 2019
  2. johnny234 Win User

Windows 10 stop automatically connecting to random new wi-fi networks

Hi,

I have searched a lot, but all the tutorials I found only explained how to not connect automatically to a known wi-fi network or how to disable wi-fi sense... but this is not what I am looking for...

PROBLEM:

• When my laptop (Windows 10 Pro X64) is not connected to a network and the wireless adapter is on, it will automatically connect to any random new unsecured wi-fi network... The only way I have now to avoid this is to disable my wi-fi adapter.

UNUSEFUL TUTORIALS I FOUND ON THE INTERNET:

• How to manually uncheck the option for a particular wi-fi network not to connect automatically in Network Properties. This is not what I am looking for. This would suggest that everytime I power my computer. I would have to manually go through all the available wi-fi networks and unclick them all...
    • How to disable Wi-Fi Sense. This is not useful, because I don't even have a Wi-Fi sense option in my computer where the tutorials say it should be.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:

• I am looking for an option to tell my computer to stop connecting randomly to unknown wi-fi networks like an hyperactive, reckless idiot.

PERSONAL COMMENT:

• Honestly, why would any respectable company think that it could be somewhat wise or secure to do this... Anyone's computer could just randomly connect to any hacker's wi-fi network without the user even knowing it...

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

johnny234, Sep 12, 2019
  3. Disable auto-connect to unkown Wi-Fi networks

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand that you would like to disable auto-connect to Wi-Fi with unknown networks. We will certainly help you with this.

Method 1: Turn off auto connect to Wi-Fi hotspots.

1. Press Start button and Type “Network” in the search box.

2. Open Network & Internet setting window and select Wi-Fi on the left side.

3. Click on Manage Wi-Fi settings on the right panel.

4. Turn off Connect to Wi-Fi hotspots option.

Method 2: How to forget a Wi-Fi Network.
    1. Press Start button and Type “Network” in the search box.

2. Open Network & Internet setting window and select Wi-Fi on the left side.

3. Click on Manage Wi-Fi settings on the right panel and scroll down to see a list of known networks.

4. Tap the network you want to forget and click on Forget
    button.

Windows by default automatically connects to the previously connected/known Wi-Fi network. Listed below are steps to disable the automatic connection to known Wi-Fi network.

1. Right click on Wi-Fi icon and select Open Network and Sharing Center
    menu option.

2. In the Network and Sharing Center window, click the Wi-Fi connection
    link.

3. This should display the Wi-Fi Status windows.

4. Now click the Wireless Properties button in W-Fi Status.

5. Unmark the check box with label as Connect automatically when this network in range
    option available under the Wireless Network Properties window. Click
    Ok
    button to confirm and the save the changes.

If you are using Intel PROSet Wireless Tools, Then I would suggest you to try the steps from the following link suggested by DennisBarnett.

Cannot turn off 'automatically connect' option on WIFI connections

(Applies to Windows 10 also)

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Sep 12, 2019
  4. Norton Win User

USB Wi-Fi Adapter Disabling

Is it on Windows 8's compatibility list (check MS website- forgot link)?

I had an issue with one Wi-fi adapter and it wasn't listed as compatible- All was well when I swapped it out with one on the compatibility list

Norton, Sep 12, 2019
Thema:

1. How do I disable background Wi-Fi network searches on my PC (Windows 10) - Similar Threads - disable background network

2. Network-Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network-Wi-Fi: I need help with my asus gaming laptop a friend of mine gave it too me and he was able to use it just perfectly fine and run games and look things up but since I got it I can connect to the Wi-Fi but I can’t not look up anything on the browser and I don’t know what to do at...
  3. Network-Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network-Wi-Fi: I need help with my asus gaming laptop a friend of mine gave it too me and he was able to use it just perfectly fine and run games and look things up but since I got it I can connect to the Wi-Fi but I can’t not look up anything on the browser and I don’t know what to do at...
  4. How do you disable the Wi-Fi light?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you disable the Wi-Fi light?: I bought a Refurb Education Edition Lenovo ThinkPad 11e 3rd Generation. It has a bright internet light on the back probably for teachers to know that kids are on the internet in class and I want to disable it because this laptop is now my main laptop. Can I disable it? I've...
  5. How do you disable the Wi-Fi light?

How do you disable the Wi-Fi light?: I bought a Refurb Education Edition Lenovo ThinkPad 11e 3rd Generation. It has a bright internet light on the back probably for teachers to know that kids are on the internet in class and I want to disable it because this laptop is now my main laptop. Can I disable it? I've...
  6. How do you disable the Wi-Fi light?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Cannot search any wi-fi network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot search any wi-fi network: Hi,im running windows 10 and yesterday my wifi icon has disappeared. Today i cannot connect to my wifi - even if i open the internet connections menu from control panel, it doesnt show me any available wifi connections. I have tried troubleshooting, resetting winsock,...
  8. Cannot search any wi-fi network

Cannot search any wi-fi network: Hi,im running windows 10 and yesterday my wifi icon has disappeared. Today i cannot connect to my wifi - even if i open the internet connections menu from control panel, it doesnt show me any available wifi connections. I have tried troubleshooting, resetting winsock,...
  9. Cannot search any wi-fi network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. How do I change the name of my wi fi network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I change the name of my wi fi network: How do I change the name and or password of my wi fi network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-name-of-my-wi-fi-network/9025cd7e-7881-4631-b774-1c0d2893a06a