Windows 10: How do I disable grouping by file type in the downloads folder

Discus and support How do I disable grouping by file type in the downloads folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone! So I recently re installed windows 10 1909 and every time i download a file it goes into a folder based on its file type so lets say i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Dengekiko, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Dengekiko Win User

How do I disable grouping by file type in the downloads folder

Hello everyone! So I recently re installed windows 10 1909 and every time i download a file it goes into a folder based on its file type so lets say i download a .zip file it will go into the main downloads folder then a sub folder called archives where the .zip is located. Same thing happens for exe's they go into a folder called installers. It's really annoying and I was wondering if anyone has a fix for this. Thank you so much!

:)

Dengekiko, Jan 21, 2020
  2. Dengekiko Win User

Sadly that is not my problem which is why I posted it.

As you can see date grouping and all other explorer based grouping is off. It's more of a file type grouping. Inside that installer folder is a freshly downloader exe that went there automatically.

Dengekiko, Jan 21, 2020
  3. Bree Win User

Where you download to is a choice available in the browser you are using to download, it's not a W10 thing. Which browser do you use? The location of these settings vary by browser. In Firefox, for example, they are in the General settings page: aboutHow do I disable grouping by file type in the downloads folder :preferences#general

4. Try3 Win User

No. I had just downloaded the latest version myself and the NirSoft zip files were saved straight in my downloads folder. I think your result indicates that you have, as Bree suggests, some third-party utility 'helping' you with your downloads and it is that utility that is managing these subfolder creations.

If you cannot remember download management being part of any of your third-party utilities, have a look at Control panel, Programs & features to remind yourself [and post a screenshot of the list if you are really stumped - perhaps Bree or dmholt might spot a name they know.

We posted at the same time. If it does not have an obvious settings item in its menu that you can change then try searching Chrome support & user forums [if they exist] for guidance.

Denis

Thema:

1. How do I disable grouping by file type in the downloads folder - Similar Threads - disable grouping file

2. Save As groups download folder, how do I stop it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Save As groups download folder, how do I stop it?: I will frequently download things from the web but when I go to save it in the downloads folder, it will Group the subfolders and files by date. See example:As you see, it's alpha sorted first by subfolders, and then by the other files in the folder for sake of image size I...
  3. Save As groups download folder, how do I stop it?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Save As groups download folder, how do I stop it?: I will frequently download things from the web but when I go to save it in the downloads folder, it will Group the subfolders and files by date. See example:As you see, it's alpha sorted first by subfolders, and then by the other files in the folder for sake of image size I...
  4. Save As groups download folder, how do I stop it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Disable file grouping in subfolders in the downloads folder in win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable file grouping in subfolders in the downloads folder in win 11: When I go into the downloads folder I have the classic grouping with yesterday, today, this month, etc. The Problem is, that when I go into a subfolder a folder inside of the downloads folder, I still have the same grouping. In subfolders i want no grouping, just like it is...
  6. Disable file grouping in subfolders in the downloads folder in win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable file grouping in subfolders in the downloads folder in win 11: When I go into the downloads folder I have the classic grouping with yesterday, today, this month, etc. The Problem is, that when I go into a subfolder a folder inside of the downloads folder, I still have the same grouping. In subfolders i want no grouping, just like it is...
  7. How to permanently disable Group By in Downloads folder Solution

How to permanently disable Group By in Downloads folder Solution: Like many MANY! other people I am as well trying to deal with the incredibly annoying "Group By" view for the Downloads directory. I've tried many "solutions" but none of them were truly permanent. This cancer just keeps coming back again and again. So, is there an actual...
  8. Disable group by in Downloads folder

Disable group by in Downloads folder: Ever since Windows 10 has updated to 1903 files in the default Downloads folder are being grouped by date. I tried changing it to none but it keeps resetting back - sometimes after restart, sometimes just pressing refresh is enough to reset it back. How can I permanently...
  9. How do I disable grouping by date for files in Download folder after 1903 update?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I disable grouping by date for files in Download folder after 1903 update?: I've installed 1903 update today for Windows 10. Now when I navigate my folders structure in Chrome and choose Download folder I get the following view (see attached screenshot): [ATTACH] It shows all downloads grouped by date. I don't lie this new view and would like...
  10. Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder completely

Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder completely: On Windows 10, latest updates installed (which is what caused this problem in the first place). I do not want this crazy "grouped by date" in the Downloads folder, I have a fairly elaborate folder setup in there and "grouped by date" means I cannot find anything any more. I...