Windows 10: How do I disable the "Recent files" in Windows Explorer (of Win10)?

Discus and support How do I disable the "Recent files" in Windows Explorer (of Win10)? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have tried all kinds of ways but give up. I am new to Win10. It seems there is a feature to display the most recently accessed files to the right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Chiu EngTan, Dec 22, 2018.

1. How do I disable the "Recent files" in Windows Explorer (of Win10)?

I have tried all kinds of ways but give up. I am new to Win10.

It seems there is a feature to display the most recently accessed files to the right of the Win explorer panel when viewing a particular drive, folder or external device. I don't even know how it is triggered but on my new laptop, which has a rather small display (13"), this feature is wasting my limited display space.

Is this something I can control in that I can turn it ON/OFF at will? I sometimes get it but don't know how to make it disappear. And sometimes it just doesn't show up. I am lost as to how this is trigerred and turned off. Any tips would be highly appreciated, thanks in advance.

:)

Chiu EngTan, Dec 22, 2018

2. Recent File List

that's all off already dude lol, I'm really surprised there is no fix for the recent files list/MRU in the file menu of programs haha

I appreciate the help, MS really needs to implement a Group Policy or a string that can do that for all programs installed

eidairaman1, Dec 22, 2018
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Dec 22, 2018
  4. 95Viper Win User

How do I disable the "Recent files" in Windows Explorer (of Win10)?

95Viper, Dec 22, 2018
Thema:

How do I disable the "Recent files" in Windows Explorer (of Win10)?

1. How do I disable the "Recent files" in Windows Explorer (of Win10)? - Similar Threads - disable Recent files

2. How to disable recent files in search box

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to disable recent files in search box: Further to Duavago's question and solution here where he found how to disable the app history within the search box, I have discovered this only works for Pro versions since gpedit.msc is completely absent in Home versions. I did a bit of digging and found a solution as...
  3. In File Explorer, how do I disable Backspace from changing the folder.

in Windows 10 Customization
    In File Explorer, how do I disable Backspace from changing the folder.: In Windows 10, in File Explorer, when I'm working on naming files, because the backspace key is right next to the Enter key, I often hit it accidentally and it takes me to the previous folder. Please tell me how to disable this....
  4. How do i disable dark mode only in file explorer

How do i disable dark mode only in file explorer: I am on win10 pro 64bit and i want to disable the dark mode only in the file exlplorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-disable-dark-mode-only-in-file-explorer/59b3cf14-a882-4307-9908-6e0bbaef5ee2
  5. How To Disable Recent Files?

How To Disable Recent Files?: Hello. How to disable that? When i open something (folder, files, pictures, etc....) it's automatic added to the recent files. And i saw everytime when i right click folder icon at taskbar. Any1 know the solutions? Thanks. Edit: After the updated 10586. I disabled...
  6. How do I disable vertical scrollbar popup in Windows/File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I disable vertical scrollbar popup in Windows/File Explorer: Either I never noticed it before or I somehow triggered it but it's been showing up for a couple days everytime I manually scroll in Windows Explorer, never shows when I'm using my mouse's scroll wheel and doesn't show in the 'Lists' option in the View bar. When the popup...
  7. How do I expand the 'Recent' list in the File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I expand the 'Recent' list in the File Explorer?: I've pinned my File Explorer to my taskbar and I have a lot of quick-access links pinned to it. [img] Because of that, I only get one item of my recently opened folders and files. Is there a way to expand the list of the recent files in that taskbar File Explorer?...
  8. File Explorer and Recent Files

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer and Recent Files: At work, I'll open files on a network path that is only accessible at work, e.g. \\mywork.org\shares\file.xyz These files will appear in my recent list when opening File Explorer (Win+E). The problem I have is at home where that network path is not accessible, and the...
  9. Disable file explorer saving recent folder locations

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable file explorer saving recent folder locations: Hi guys, In File Explorer, how do you disable it from automatically saving recent locations in the dropdown? (NOT the search bar) For instance, I am typing %SCRIPTS% into the folder URL bar and its taking me to the folder location, but it saves the directory as a...
  10. How do disable search history in file explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do disable search history in file explorer?: Hello, I was wondering how do I completely disable the search history in the search box in file explorer? I found this guide, but this is for erasing only. Clear File Explorer History in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials I want to completely disable the search...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disable recent files windows 10

2. windows 1809 disable recent files