Windows 10: How do I disable the speakers without disabling the audio itself?

Discus and support How do I disable the speakers without disabling the audio itself? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm trying to record text-to-speech for an intentionally bad 3D animation using Audacity. In order to make sure the voice is loud enough for people to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Ion_D-worth, Apr 1, 2020.

1. How do I disable the speakers without disabling the audio itself?

I'm trying to record text-to-speech for an intentionally bad 3D animation using Audacity. In order to make sure the voice is loud enough for people to here, I need to record it using high volume. I don't want anyone else in my house to here me recording the text-to-speech. Is there a way to still have the audio play through Stereo Mix, but not come out of the speakers?

submitted by /u/Ion_D-worth
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Ion_D-worth, Apr 1, 2020
  2. paulpv Win User

Disabling Audio input/output (Microphone/Speaker/etc) in Device Manager does not disable device in Sound Control Panel or stop audio...oh my!

In Windows 10 (1803 build 17134.228), I open both "Device Manager" (devmgmt.msc) and the "Sound Control Panel" (mmsys.cpl).

Both Device Manager and the Sound Control Panel show the same audio input/output devices.

ex: "Speakers" and "Microphone".

This is good!

In Device Manager, I disable "Speakers", which continues to show up and has an icon showing it is disabled.

In Sound Control Panel, "Speakers" still shows up and *is not disabled*!

When I play a sound through the [disabled in Device Manager] Speakers, I can still hear the audio!

This is horrible!

In Device Manager, I re-enable "Speakers".

In Sound Control Panel, I disable "Speakers".

In Device Manager, "Speakers" disappears as an Audio output device.

Audio correctly cannot be heard.

This is good!

In summary:

1. Why does disabling "Speakers" in "Device Manager" not stop audio coming out of them?
    2. What does disabling "Speakers" in "Device Manager" actually do?
    3. Why is disabling Speakers in Device Manager different than disabling Speakers in Sound Control Panel?

Now for the real meat: I am trying to disable/enable the Audio input/output device...

...the way that the Sound Control Panel does...

...but programmatically (PowerShell, C#, C...whatever works).

There are many of examples of how to disable/enable a device that involve "devcon.exe disable/enable", "Get-PnpDevice | Disable/Enable-PnpDevice", and "Get-Device | Disable/Enable-Device".

All of these result in the device being disabled in the Device Manager, and exhibiting the above undesirable behavior; the audio devices still show up in Sound Control Panel and are usable. How do I disable the speakers without disabling the audio itself? :(

I also have tried the Registry hack (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Capture\{GUID} DeviceState=1 or 10000001), but that seems to be a cosmetic hack only and doesn't actually force close any open devices or prevent new opens.

So I'll add another question:

1. How can I programmatically disable/enable and audio device to have the same effect as doing it in Sound Control Panel?

And no; UI automation of the Sound Control Panel is not an acceptable answer.

I am looking for an actual API that can be called in the background, not a horrible UI hack that requires being in the foreground.

Thanks!

Pv

paulpv, Apr 1, 2020
  3. Joe913 Win User
    How to disable the internal speakers when connecting external speakers?

The instructions for connecting headphones/external speakers inplies that the internal speakers in my HP Envy 23-d260qd computer will be disabled when the headphones/external speakers are connected. This is not the case - both the speakers and the
    headphones work together, thus defeating the purpose of headphones. There seems to be some suggestion that this problem has been caused by an update to Windows10. I have been connecting of headphones or external speakers and would mechanically disabled the
    internal speakers as happens with molst audio equipment. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Joe913, Apr 1, 2020
  4. How do I disable the speakers without disabling the audio itself?

disabling internal speakers

ah, that sounds about right for acer, now I need to know how to disable the ruddy speakers.

crazy pyro, Apr 1, 2020
Thema:

How do I disable the speakers without disabling the audio itself?

1. How do I disable the speakers without disabling the audio itself? - Similar Threads - disable speakers without

2. HOW DO I DISABLE 'AUDIO SERVICE...' NOTIFICATION

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HOW DO I DISABLE 'AUDIO SERVICE...' NOTIFICATION: I have an old Creative Sound Blaster sound card so I use an old driver. They produce excellent sound and are working fine. I've had Win 10 for about 9 months now, and only this morning has the OS registered the 'audio services not running' notification -shown below- in the...
  3. HOW DO I DISABLE 'AUDIO SERVICE...' NOTIFICATION

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HOW DO I DISABLE 'AUDIO SERVICE...' NOTIFICATION: I have an old Creative Sound Blaster sound card so I use an old driver. They produce excellent sound and are working fine. I've had Win 10 for about 9 months now, and only this morning has the OS registered the 'audio services not running' notification -shown below- in the...
  4. HOW DO I DISABLE 'AUDIO SERVICE...' NOTIFICATION

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. HOW DO I TO DISABLE AUDIO SERVICE NOTIFICATION

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HOW DO I TO DISABLE AUDIO SERVICE NOTIFICATION: I have an old Creative Sound Blaster sound card so I use an old driver. They produce excellent sound and are working fine. I've had Win 10 for about 9 months now, and only this morning has the OS registered the 'audio services not running' notification -shown below- in the...
  6. HOW DO I TO DISABLE AUDIO SERVICE NOTIFICATION

HOW DO I TO DISABLE AUDIO SERVICE NOTIFICATION: I have an old Creative Sound Blaster sound card so I use an old driver. They produce excellent sound and are working fine. I've had Win 10 for about 9 months now, and only this morning has the OS registered the 'audio services not running' notification -shown below- in the...
  7. HOW DO I TO DISABLE AUDIO SERVICE NOTIFICATION

8. Audio and Mic keeps enabling/disabling by itself

Audio and Mic keeps enabling/disabling by itself: https://gyazo.com/d614ea8bc0ed790239345dbc8245a3f6I literally have no clue, I've never had issues before until I switched to windows 11 and now I can't go back because I'm far too into windows 11....
  9. How do I hide audio devices without disabling them?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I hide audio devices without disabling them?: I'm using a Virtual Audio driver to playback my Spotify to an Audio Visualizer on Wallpaper Engine, but I don't plan on actually using the audio device. Is there a way to hide it WITHOUT disabling it? submitted by /u/SoLaRstrix86 [link] [comments]...
  10. Headphones disabling without disabling speakers

Headphones disabling without disabling speakers: Hi, I have a dell latitude 3189 with windows 10 on it. I wanted to ask something. My headphone jack is stuck in the headphone port. Its pretty annoying because my laptop detects the little piece of the headphone jack. Can disable my headphones without disabling my speakers?...