Windows 10: How do I disable the useless Edge PDF Reader???

Discus and support How do I disable the useless Edge PDF Reader??? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; jds63- Still no luck getting Adobe DC to work as a default PDF viewer in Edge, as you have. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe as a... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by mediaman09, Sep 13, 2015.

1. How do I disable the useless Edge PDF Reader???

jds63- Still no luck getting Adobe DC to work as a default PDF viewer in Edge, as you have. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe as a possible solution.

mediaman09, Sep 14, 2015

2. OK, so the reinstalling Adobe did nothing. Nor did installing Foxit. In all cases, Microsoft Edge want to take control of PDF files. I tried all the suggestions re defaults and associations etc. Works in File Explorer but not in Edge.

As a large percentage of my web browsing is reading PDF files, which Edge will not let me do effectively (unless I download every PDF file I read), its utterly useless to me.

I am going back to Chrome or IE11. Neither has any issue with viewing a PDF online re articles, tutorials, manuals, lessons, banks statements, etc . Only Edge has an issue.

Still don't get why I cant launch Adobe DC from Edge when Edge sees a PDF...or why I cant launch IE11 directly for PDF files...or why others can evoke Adobe DC instead of Edge. But its taking way too much of my time already - clearly Microsoft enjoys making this as difficult as possible.

Perhaps Edge will change in the next Service Pack, if not, I don't see any other option other than changing to a browser that can properly handles PDFs.

Thought for a moment I found the solution here : Solved How to use Adobe Reader to open PDF's instead of Edge - Windows 10 Forums , but the way it was "solved" was to stop using Edge and use IE11 !

mediaman09, Sep 14, 2015
  3. jds63 Win User
    My confusion was you were not able to read downloaded PDF files on your desktop or in folder in File explorer with Adobe Reader, that Edge was still opening it. MS Edge probably does not support the Plug In from Adobe Reader as Firefox,IE,Chrome does. Reasons Edge will not open PDF's online,this is my impression as Edge does not yet support a lot of plug ins.

Your last link is what i showed you before which only defaults either PDF reader for desktop (file explorer) downloaded PDF you already have on your PC. I will check IE in Windows 10, i am not sure as i use Firefox mostly and it works fine.

Plug in in Firefox

How do I disable the useless Edge PDF Reader??? [​IMG]

What i notice in IE is works better then in Firefox giving you more of option as the same as when you open Adobe from a Downloaded PDF on your Desktop or File Explorer, Nice !

MS Edge opening a PDF link

Here is Firefox as looks like Edge

jds63, Sep 14, 2015
  4. How do I disable the useless Edge PDF Reader???

Okay so if I understand correctly. you are confirming what I am experiencing. When in an EDGE browser, and opening an online PDF, and wanting to read that pdf, only the EDGE reader can be used. There is no configuration that will allow Adobe DC to be used instead. The only workaround is to either use a different browser, or read it off-line.

As downloading every PDF I want to read while browsing is a ridiculous thing to do, reverting back to Chrome is best for me. IE11 is quite nice re PDFs, but its support will be limited , whereas Chrome is fully supported with mods, new features etc.

We'll see what Win 10 Service Pack 1 holds for Edge. Until then, I cant use it.

mediaman09, Sep 14, 2015
  5. jds63 Win User
    Yes, open online PDF in any browser of choice is not going to make any difference except what i seen with IE and Adobe Acrobat Plug in, no default for this of course, making a browser your default browser has nothing to do with this. Unless it's a link from within windows program or software that is directing you to a PDF link, then whichever browser is default will open it.

Mainly the Adobe reader uses a plug in in browser for that and when using a PDF file in file explorer it opens in whatever is the default reader you set. For me sometimes i notice not all PDF's are readable online, some have to download, i get what you mean there.

Edge without anything else is default reader unless you download another for pdf files on PC, that is main thing, comes to reading ones online it is the browsers plug ins i believe, as i am not sure browser needs adobe plug in or foxit plug in to read a PDF. May add more function to it, in fact i had opened PDF without Adobe plug in on Windows 10, before i ever installed Adobe Reader.
    So for online no need for it, as i see.

jds63, Sep 14, 2015
  6. For many PDFs, the bare bones EDGE pdf viewer is passable, as you do get the triple dots (more action) to zoom, print etc. as your screen shot shows. However all of the on-line monthly pdf bank/investment statements are encrypted - Edge still renders them, but in an separate fixed window with zero options, not even zoon, so I can barely read it, rendering it unusable. It is for this reason I am giving up on Edge. I can only want to use one product as my browser, so for now its anything-but-Edge. All other non-Edge browsers to the job just fine.

mediaman09, Sep 14, 2015
  7. Kari Win User
    I find Edge quite nice with PDF files. Fast and easy zoom with CTRL + mouse wheel and so on. In screenshot a PDF document in Edge zoomed to 20%:

8. jds63 Win User

How do I disable the useless Edge PDF Reader???

I get you, as said at first i was thinking you were talking more about downloaded PDF's to read with a default reader. All along your main concern was online PDF, my misread and misunderstanding. For one looks like IE uses Adobe Readers functions, so if have Adobe and use IE your set too.

jds63, Sep 14, 2015
  9. Yes, as noted in post 19, Edge is fine for many PDFs. But for the ones I routinely read from the bank, Edge opens them up in a more restricted window. There is NO fast and easy zoom, print etc, . IE/Chrome however open them up fine with Adobe.

mediaman09, Sep 15, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Use IE 11. work related stuff you do ?

jds63, Sep 15, 2015
  11. No, not work related , all personal. I just posted a sample. Yes IE 11 would work. Chrome would work, Edge gives me only the fixed window.

Point is that Edge is not a good browser solution. Even the drop down for "Open in IE11" isn't useful in this case as you need to login in again (in my bank example).

Recap:
    IE11 as a main browser - works all the time - its an option, but not fully supported
    Chrome as a main browser - works all the time - its an option and fully supported.
    FIrefox as a main browser - never tired it, but will likely stick with one of the above
    Edge - not a good solution as per this thread.
    Edge SP1 - not available yet.

mediaman09, Sep 15, 2015
  12. jds63 Win User
    Think you have it figured out for what you need it for, thought what i saw with Adobe and IE would help you more too.
    To me Chrome is a resource hog, but if have very little running or a lot of RAM, fine. I prefer Firefox myself. A lot of talk Edge is not complete, sure future updates will change this, as it is still a new browser and OS.

jds63, Sep 15, 2015
  13. How do I disable the useless Edge PDF Reader???

Will there still be security patches and bug fixes going forward for IE11?

Any rumours when Win 10 SP1 will be rolled out and if it will have Edge improvements?

mediaman09, Sep 15, 2015
  14. labeeman Win User
    I think that IE11 is a dead duck and will only get Security Patches.

As for W10 SP1 that will be never.

labeeman, Sep 15, 2015
  15. Right, no Service Packs. Poor choice of words. Meant to ask : Any rumours when the next Win 10 "update" would be out and if it will have Edge improvements ?

Ref: Windows 10 is different as there will be no service packs. Instead, Microsoft plans to issue updates as and when they are ready, rather than batching them together in one huge update. The primary reason for this is that Windows Updates will be automatically downloaded for most users without choice as to which updates they want installed. This applies to Windows 10 Home editions, whereas Pro editions and higher allow more flexibility.

mediaman09, Sep 15, 2015
Thema:

How do I disable the useless Edge PDF Reader???

1. How do I disable the useless Edge PDF Reader??? - Similar Threads - disable useless Edge

2. How do I disable edge updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I disable edge updates: I keep deleting edge but somehow it keeps coming back is there a toggle for this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-disable-edge-updates/ec2601d5-f38e-4dd6-965f-70999610ee83
  3. Roadmap for PDF reader in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Roadmap for PDF reader in Microsoft Edge: Over the course of last year, we worked hard on building a powerful PDF reader that offers compatibility, reliability, and security for you and your organization. The feedback we received from you from the Edge Insider builds has been really encouraging, and here are some...
  4. How do I restore ink on an edge pdf?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I restore ink on an edge pdf?: So I used edge to annotate a pdf but then my computer crashed and none of the ink is there when I reopen the file. Is there any way to restore it? I really don't want to have to redo everything. submitted by /u/9FishLegs [link] [comments]...
  5. Microsoft Edge PDF reader alternative

Microsoft Edge PDF reader alternative: Hello, I have this issue I am having trouble with. I have a Microsoft surface. My surface got updated this morning. Before then, I could read all the pdf-s in Microsoft Edge application by moving the pages with my finger and then annotating/taking notes with my electronic...
  6. Default PDF reader keeps switching to Edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default PDF reader keeps switching to Edge: I have a computer in my organization that keeps switching the default PDF reader to Edge. We have wiped the profile and rebuilt it, replaced the laptop with a new fresh image to no avail. The users default PDF reader keeps switching from Adobe DC Pro to Edge. We do not...
  7. PDF Reader

PDF Reader: Ok so my English textbooks are pdfs. usually I would use Adobe Acrobat Reader, but one of the textbooks is 500+ pages long, and its sooo slow! ive tried edge, chrome, etc, but none of them work because its simply too big! Should I print it?...
  8. PDF Reader

PDF Reader: Looking for a simple pdf reader nothing complicated. I just want it for reading pdf. windows 10 home. simple question I hope. Thank You. David. 124877
  9. Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Edge and default PDF-reader.

Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Edge and default PDF-reader.: Hi, I've been looking for a solution for my problem for months now. Since I have Windows 10 on my computer, the default pdf-reader is constantly changed back to Microsoft Edge, despite all my attempts to make Acrobat Reader DC my default one. I have made the change of...
  10. How to use Adobe Reader to open PDF's instead of Edge

How to use Adobe Reader to open PDF's instead of Edge: I open a lot of manuals and Edge is so basic. It shows nothing from introduction to index just the manual. I used to be able to go to the index and find the specific part of the manual I need. Has Microsoft blocked this. REO 16350